Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

Production Print Question

Was wondering how many of us on here work on Production Print engines, and what everyones experience and perspective is on it. What problems have you encountered, particularly with the machines limitations and failures versus the customers expectations. Especially those with customers who still run offset presses and/or large hybrid print facilities.

Re: Production Print Question

Paper paper paper. At production speed paper becomes critical.
    Whatever

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Production Print Question

I have a couple of schools that use them. One currently has two, a Lanier Pro 8100s and an older Lanier Pro 1107EX. The 8110s replaced a 1357EX that had around 7M on it. Between the two, he does more than 1M a year, possibly 2 to 3. Before being hired by the school, he was a press operator for a local printing company. He does almost all the large job printing for the entire school district, 7 campuses, to include carbonless NCR. The only thing that they send out to be printed are forms that require being sequentially numbered. As long as they are maintained properly, the only problems have been been with the Plockmatic on the 1107 wearing out staple heads and punches on the hoe punch units getting gummy and sticking.

As for paper, he orders letter size 20# white by the truck load. He has a distributor that he has worked with for years. The paper itself is actually from Australia It is about the best quality I have seen and due to the quantity he orders, costs less.

Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

I have the full range of our production machines in my field varying from schools and hospitals, to local government and big commercial outfits, I'd say all up, around 120 devices.

There's a definite devide between them all when it comes to epectatations. It would seem offset printers that are transitioning over to digital have far more issues with the quality, and have a hard time understanding that being digital doesn't mean it isn't with out its own limitations.

And once you start working outside the recommended limitations, a bumpy road to crazy starts.

The operation is easier but the maintenance is a lot.

Like the KM C6000 and the like. 120K interval is too intensive.
    Whatever