Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Fuc&ing Model Numbers

Fuc&ing Model Numbers

<rant>

OK, I'll admit it, I hold down a desk and haven't used a screwdriver effectively in a long while but I have officially reached my limit for model numbers. Back in the day it was easy, they changed every few years and either the first two or last two were speed depending on brand but now they're completely impossible. We have two MFP lines along with a mess HP's & Lexmark and can't tell you the difference between an imagePROGRAF whatever and an Ecosys P-something (which is really just a renamed FS-something completely different). It's getting so bad that by he time I get my price sheets redone to match the products we sell some dill-weed marketing guru decides to make PostScript standard just to fuck up my day.

</rant>

Re: Fuc&ing Model Numbers

Mmm.. Kon Min on the other hand keeps the range to limited.
    Whatever

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ctl-Alt-Del View Post
    <rant>

OK, I'll admit it, I hold down a desk and haven't used a screwdriver effectively in a long while but I have officially reached my limit for model numbers. Back in the day it was easy, they changed every few years and either the first two or last two were speed depending on brand but now they're completely impossible. We have two MFP lines along with a mess HP's & Lexmark and can't tell you the difference between an imagePROGRAF whatever and an Ecosys P-something (which is really just a renamed FS-something completely different). It's getting so bad that by he time I get my price sheets redone to match the products we sell some dill-weed marketing guru decides to make PostScript standard just to fuck up my day.

</rant>
    haha... I can empathise with you on that....
    Throw in cash Registers, POS, fax machines, shredders, binders, typewriters, MFD's, duplicators and then try an make sense of the Numbering ISO.
    Unless I see a machine sitting in front of me I have minimal recognition of the model numbers, an it's not getting any easier as I get older. Try working as an independent Tech all by yourself and then throw in all the above in the mix together. One of my pet peeve brain teaser torment happens when people from different technical fields use acronyms to explain technical writings. You know in yourself what an acronym means in one book but the meaning gets changed in another book or industry writing. People tend to believe you don't understand the manual, when your brain is converting the acronym into a totally different interpretation.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 04-27-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Fuc&amp;ing Model Numbers

I think the OEM's change their model #'s so frequently to stay one step ahead of the toner pirates. If they can get the end user to buy their genuine toner for 6 months to a year then they feel they made their profit, and then come out with a new model. If you notice the toners never work from one model to next.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Fuc&amp;ing Model Numbers

In our system all the Toshy model numbers are abbreviated to 3 digits. So "452" could be an Studio 452 or and e Studio 4520C. Exactly the same abbreviation. The only difference is ... everything. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Welcome to my world... heh.
    Something I got used to back in the 3M days.
    Although it would be nice if the mothership's internal systems didn't do that by default now. Oh well.