Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: Getting toner out of clothes

Black pants are great for black toner, not so great for color toner, nor general dirt/dust etc. On good days, I can wear same pants for half a week, then the next start seeing the graying of the knees and thighs on them, and I know it's time to throw them in the laundry.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Here is the thing. For everday on the job when your hand are in and out of the machines , the dirt are difficult to notice at first and when those get imbedded in the fabric, it is almost impossible to remove. For toner spills and oops moments, they can be blown off. I have done some examples today and will post the pics later on to prove the point on white cloth i may add. Hope you folks get a clothes allowance that compensates for the wear and tear.
    A good shirt is expensive today. all techs should be allowed to wear golf shirts and pants to suite. but some company's are still with the tie and office dress mentality that in my opinion sucks for a tech. just one of the reasons i prefer the shop

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Getting toner out of clothes

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    ... Anyone know where I can pick up trichlorethylene? I'm pretty sure it's banned by the epa...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Check your auto parts store for Carberator Cleaner. I don't know of any other source unless your a dry cleaner. Personally, I don't get anywhere near the stuff anymore. I used to get spontaneous nosebleeds, and my hands were cracked and bleeding. I don't miss that one bit. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

The guys in our main office still wear ties most of the time, but the company provides the clothing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Anyone know where I can pick up trichlorethylene? I'm pretty sure it's banned by the epa.
    You can purchase hydrocarbon based White Spirits(Dry Cleaner) or Shellite similar products from supermarkets or hardware stores.
    These can assist in removing the mineral based inks from fabric. Use normal water for food colour based inks.

To remove mineral based inks from fabric :
    1. Soak up any heavy liquid mineral base ink stains with tissue paper, do not wipe the area, dab the area in small places.
    2. Wash the stain with a Shellite or White Spirits to remove the mineral oil from the ink.
    3. Wash the stain further again with Methylated Spirits(alcohol) to remove the ink dye colouring from the fabric.
    4. Wash with normal soap an water to remove the above chemicals and remaining dye.

The above should work in most cases, depending on the fabric and texture weave. The longer you leave the ink the more it will soak into the fabric, so clean up ink stain as soon as possible.

As always use caution.
    What is called White Spirits or Shellite in one country may not be the same chemical product in another country.

Disclaimer:
    No guarantees the above will work for you, so use this information at your own risk.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Here is what i did today to show what i was referring of getting toner of clothes by blowing with air. see attachments of before and after. This is shop towels that i poured toner on and rubbed it in a bit.
    hope my point is clear and done with this thread. Who out there in a shop can do this and see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

still dirty. shop at kmart

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Getting toner out of clothes

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    I know of two surefire ways..Fire and scissors..Emujo
    YEAH, and toner just happens to be very FLAMMABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really I've probably tried just about everything that's been posted. You can clean the clothing enough to make it acceptable to wear, but you never really get all the toner out ..............................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    The only way i know that works is to blow it off with compress air. .

That is the fastest way which I used to use
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Quote Originally Posted by sharptech1 View Post
    still dirty. shop at kmart
    The rich lives off the foolish.

I have some before and after pics that i will post. Obviously the point was not taken. I was demonstrating, if you get some toner on your clothes, you can get it off by blowing away it first. I did not wash the cloth as it was not my point. I have done one where i blow and wash after and you cannot dectect a trace of toner.
    I always had a golf shirt in a bag in the back seat somewhere, in case of an event, i could keep on working and take care of the shirt later. Only thing, do not place the soiled garment exposed to the sunlight and heat, and take care of it when you get home.
    Last edited by subaro; 05-22-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke