Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: Getting toner out of clothes

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    You should not be blowing toner dust out of your cloths in the customers office.
    You might get away with compressed air fumigating the company workshop air conditioner with toner,but you certainly cannot get away with toner contamination in a customers office.

Let's be sensible about this. we have a booth for blowing machines that we strip for rebuilding. It has the proper filters ect. Our shop is entirely separated from the office section. It is a class operation. We don't do much rebulding anymore, nevertheless the, compressor and booths are there.
    If one is getting loads of toner on his clothes, then he has to adjust. The spots on your clothes can be blown off when you get to your car or stop in a discreet place with a can of air. But i like blackcat suggestions for on the road techs.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I wittness a senior technician virtually close to tears. He or his wife bought him a brand new long sleeve shirt and he wore it first time that day to work. He was working on a TEC register which had a small ink pad in the logo-stamp. He was squeezing the bottle hard trying to re-ink the logo pad when the ink bottle exploded down the front of his new shirt.
    He look over to me in horror at his new $60-70 shirt, and said how the !#% do I get this ink out of my new shirt? The missus is going to kill me....
    Being a young upstart at the time I was secretly snickering inside to myself.

I told him how to remove mineral base ink from his cloths. He was very very humble that I should know that. I never told him that family members use to manage a dry cleaning shop.

Back in the day I should have charged him for the privilege of my services....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[ง]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ก | x | •[ง]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Getting toner out of clothes

Back in the days of white dress shirts and wide ties, I was in a 5 day class. I had a fuser apart and had conveniently tucked the heat roller under my arm. The lovely black grease that they use on the bearings made a very nice decoration on my armpit.

I grabbed my bottle of trichlorethylene and a toothbrush and headed to the bathroom. You can probably confirm this Neo, but I'm pretty sure that's dry cleaning fluid. I wore a slightly wet but perfectly clean shirt for the rest of the afternoon.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I think most techs knows and uses these stretch and wipe cloths for toner and dust. For minor spills and toner inside of the machine i prefer to use these to mop up most of the toner and finish off with the vacum. In this way, less noise from the vacum and less toner particles in the air, plus your vac filter last longer.
    These cloths are amazing, and i reuse them by vacuming them at the shop central vac, or for road techs you can dispose. But they are a must have IMO for road techs. Before changing parts ect, i use them do a quick wipe down and therefore less dirt to tangle with.

Chix Chicopee 17" Stretch 'n Dust Cloth, Yellow | Staplesฎ

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

When you wash your clothes, use the cold water setting on the washer, it will prevent toner from adhering to them (if you have successfully avoided trying to brush the toner off - toner is both heat and pressure activated). Pretreating the spots helps too.
    Long sleeved shirts are to be avoided if possible. It's usually way easier to wash toner off of your skin than your clothes. (Also, like a necktie, long sleeves can get caught in moving parts.)
    For what it is worth, there are only three rules that I have for work clothing: they are either dark colored, durable or cheap. Currently I am using rule one and three.
    Heh, I hadn't thought of trichlorethylene in years. I never tried to use it to clean spots out of clothes. Oh well, too late now.
    I've used WD40 and alcohol to get Riso ink out of clothes with some success, but those wouldn't work even a little bit with toner.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Yeah, those stretch n dust rags are great for inside the machine.

My problem is, whenever i get an itb unit out I rest it on my knee, and the waste toner connection unit... Well usually dumps toner on my leg. I've gotten better at that.

Anyone know where I can pick up trichlorethylene? I'm pretty sure it's banned by the epa.

We use ricoh belt cleaner, will that help?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Getting toner out of clothes

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    How do you guys get toner out of your clothes?
    Dunno....that's Mrs Lagondas job.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

I switch my shirts to dry weave polo last year. I wash then in cold water, if its only dry toner it comes out fine. If its grease or bubble jet ink, brake cleaner or blue shower ( electrical spray cleaner ) work on about 80 to 85 percent of the spots. I never dry those type of polo shirts. As far as pants I wear dark blue jeans which hides everything. Mongo

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Yeah, those stretch n dust rags are great for inside the machine.

My problem is, whenever i get an itb unit out I rest it on my knee, and the waste toner connection unit... Well usually dumps toner on my leg. I've gotten better at that.

Anyone know where I can pick up trichlorethylene? I'm pretty sure it's banned by the epa.

We use ricoh belt cleaner, will that help?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I get a adf mat, the ones with sponge backing that you can fold. whenever i remove drum or belt i rest it there, so i don't have to worry about scratches ect. I also use it for screws and small parts, c-clips, so i can find them easily with the white background of the mat. just stick it in the corner of the bag and whip it out whenever. That was then, now at the shop i have about six of them together with used transfer belt that i use to cover the drums when removed. stay away from that triecjdcljlk. There are new biodegradable non toxic stuff out there now. experiment till you find the right one and breathe easier.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

I know of two surefire ways..Fire and scissors..Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.