Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE PUSSY

Re: I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE P

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    TNR may violate federal conservation laws. I didn't research this much but there is a court case out in California where they are challenging TNR. Apparently, by capturing and providing medical care for the cat, you are assuming ownership. By releasing a cat into the wild that you now have ownership of violates the law (it's viewed as abandonment). They don't want the other wildlife to be harmed. Could prove interesting.
    Many communities have local laws that consider cats as free roaming creatures, i.e. the old saying "You do not own a cat, the cat owns you." In those communities, you are not responsible for feral cats that you provide food, water or medical care for. As for the TNR programs that have been ran here, since it is not the individual who is paying for the neuter service, they are not considered as having taken ownership. The veterinary hospitals that provide the service will only accept cats that are in traps and act like feral cats. If the cat is in a carrier or appears to be friendly and used to human touch, they are not considered feral and are not eligible for free neutering.

Prior to ten years ago, my back yard/garage seemed to be the neighborhood maternity ward. At one point there were two litters of kittens and an opossum with a litter present at the same time. We would make friends with the kittens at four to six weeks old and bring them inside by 12 weeks. some of them we gave away and some we kept. Those we kept we had neutered. In the summer of 2006, the local SPCA had a TNR program going. You could get 3 vouchers per address. Between our address and our daughter's address we were able to get three feral females and two males in my neighborhood and the female that had a litter in her backyard done. No litters of kittens in the backyard since then.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Re: I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE P

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Breakaway collars with bells on them help warn the birds. Everyone blames cats for small bird and animal deaths but dogs can be just as bad. Now if some mad scientist starts breeding cats that can fly, we will have an issue. I of course would have to own a couple, just to watch them taunt the neighborhood dogs.
    Maybe it's different where you live. Out here the birds that need protecting are ground nesting and it doesn't matter if a cat is wearing a bell or not. A cat colony of only 50-100 animals kill 50,000 endangered birds a year in parts around here. I agree that neutering and releasing doesn't work, that's why they need to be culled.

Just imagine if the Alcoa eagle chicks got munched by a feral cat on camera. I think less people would be fans of the feral cats.

Something not related at all; Someone from Australia told me that they call hippies Ferals down there. Now I look at hippies as ferals with no home but just going where ever the free food is XD

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

OK, I will admit that some cats have a real problem with birds...

The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking