Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE PUSSY

So my local township wants to pass an ordinance regarding animals. Most of it is actually good but they are aggressively attacking cats on multiple fronts.

1. They want all stray gets to be neutered, even if they're in the wild not hurting anybody (I've actually observed a real vet neutering cats and dogs an it is terribly gruesome);

2. They want to cut off part of their left ear as an identifier that they've been neutered;

3. Even if you have a pet cat and it isn't neutered for whatever reason (even a pure breed) it would be illegal to let them outside;

4. It would be illegal for you a citizen, to feed a starving cat, even on your own property, unless you were actually participating #1/#2.

Punishment is up to $1,000 fine and 30 days in jail. I posted on the township cops facebook page that even if it passes I'll continue feeding the stray kitties. I do put food out for the cats/squirrels/birds.

Oddly, only cats are being targeted to this degree.

So I'm going to go to the township meeting and protest this bullshit. We have cats run in our back yard all the time and most are starving and very scared of humans...they probably were neglected or beaten, so I see no harm in putting some food out. It costs me mere pennies to extend the life of another animal for days.

I do know some counties will fix animals if you bring them in but I've never heard of any criminalizing good moral charitable acts before.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE P

Wild feral cats are a considered a serious problem in our part of Australia.
    Conservationist believe they do a lot of damage to the bird life.
    I've seen wild cats number in groups of 50-60 cats in a pride.
    Wild cats have to find food and they'll use any fresh food source to eat.
    It's ease to stop a domesticated cat from chasing birds, just put a bell on their collar.
    The only way to stop feral cats is to reduce their numbers.
    A large number of abandon domestic cats end up in the wild as feral cats.

I've witness the male cats mark their territory strong scent in houses and over vehicles, making the residence extremely hostile to find the owner of the cat. I witness people taking local cat problem into their own hands. I've had to calm down hostile neighbour-hood residence once or twice and show them my cat is female.

I have a bell on the collar of my own cat and she's desexed. (Reminds me I must replace the bell)...

It's a balancing act for poor old kitty...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE P

I wish they'd pass those laws in my hood.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Survival of the fittest. This is darwin's theory, if i am correct.

I watched a documentary, where in the outback, camels numbers have become large and troublesome. They are being culled . From what i understood from that video, the camels did the backbreaking work to build australia.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Survival of the fittest. This is darwin's theory, if i am correct.

I watched a documentary, where in the outback, camels numbers have become large and troublesome. They are being culled . From what i understood from that video, the camels did the backbreaking work to build australia.
    There are a large number of feral non-native animals that cause problems in Australia.
    o Cats
    o Dogs
    o Foxs (During Lambing season)
    o Rabbits (Huge problem)
    o Cane Toads (Huge problem for all wild life)
    o Camels
    o Goats
    o Pigs
    o Horse
    o Buffalo
    o Deer
    o European Carp (huge problem for native fish)
    o Fire Ants
    o etc... (Can't think of any more)

All the above animals run wild an uncontrolled in the bush.
    The problems were introduced into the Australian natural eco-sytem around 200 years ago, what should we do about it ? It was a tough call to play around with the natural balance in the first place. Some one now has to make a tough call to rebalance the natural eco-system.

As cruel as it sounds culling is the natural system of order for many Animals here in Australia, including the lamb roast and MacDonalds beef burger you have on your menu.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I may become a criminal...and get politically active...or go to jail...SAVE THE PUSSY

I'm more of a dog fan myself. BUT
    should we be talking about stray cats,black cats, that may cross your path, wild cats or ferol cats or wild ferol cats.
    This site more likely lends itself to talking about COPY CATS.
    Let's neuter them. and feed them too, of course.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copydocinc View Post
    I'm more of a dog fan myself. BUT
    should we be talking about stray cats,black cats, that may cross your path, wild cats or ferol cats or wild ferol cats.
    This site more likely lends itself to talking about COPY CATS.
    Let's neuter them. and feed them too, of course.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! I don't want to hear any more about neutering, or I'll mark this whole thread. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

I have so much to say about this... But I will keep this short.

I volunteer for our local invasive species committee. I know first hand the damage cats do to the environment.

We have more endangered bird populations where I live than anywhere else. Cats decimate bird populations.
    It doesn't matter if they are tame, feral, fed or starving. There is overwhelming evidence for this fact.

We have instated similar ordinances here in our county and it wasn't only a good thing, it was a necessity to save many bird species.
    Uninformed cat owners and feral feeders make these problems much worse. Loose cats and cat colonies lead to cat culling. I have seen cats drowned in cages, poisoned, shot and crushed. It's unreal. This wouldn't have happened if people didn't feed feral colonies.

Yesterday someones pet killed over 40 wedge-tail Shearwaters, a super endangered seabird, people here are beyond upset. It ruined my day

There is my input. Sorry to bring down the mood.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I find it best to just leave other animals alone. Nature does a better job than we do in regards to keeping things in balance. Many cats die from starvation no matter how much food I put out, many cats freeze during the winters too and there's nothing I can do about that.

There's plenty of birds where I live and the cats haven't harmed them. In fact usually a hawk or falcon is what I see killing the smaller birds. And who are we to single out one species? Better kill the endangered bald eagles for all the birds they kill. Better wipe out every other animal that isn't a herbivore because they eat other animals. The difference is in my jurisdiction there's no proved valid reason to enact these things and we're not killing the cats and eating them; we're just not liking that they exist or don't approve of how many there may be, which is impossible to tell anyway.

Everyone would feel differently if someday another species was dominant over us and imposing the same things. While we're talking about it, why not start sexually mutilating humans to keep the human population under control. Experts agree that something will happen in the future, e.g., electricity shortage, food shortage, water shortage...

We don't do those things because the one good thing that makes us human is the ability to reason with compassion and understanding...and override what may seem logical based on those feelings and intuitions.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Correct me if I am wrong, would not man be the most invasive species to nature? I am sure feral cats that are hungry would definitely kill for food. The feral cats I feed pretty much lay in the yard and sleep til the next feeding. The new young kitty has a bell around his collar to give the birds fair warning.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking