Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Sign of the times?

A couple of months ago, I bought a new Dell laptop to replace the one that I will surely destroy soon. I took it to the shop yesterday to set it up and notices something that even my IT guys were not aware of. This really nice top end Dell has no cat 5 port. To plug into a cable, I would need a usb to cat 5 adapter. I guess it is a push to go completely wireless. I am guessing all manufacturers will be dropping the port, if they haven't already.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Re: Sign of the times?

The new Dell Latitude/Vostro is the laptop you want. It has lots of connectors including the RJ-45. It also has VGA believe it or not. The new Dell home and ultra books are too small to fit the big ports.

Quote Originally Posted by SwisSeV View Post
    The new Dell Latitude/Vostro is the laptop you want. It has lots of connectors including the RJ-45. It also has VGA believe it or not. The new Dell home and ultra books are too small to fit the big ports.

You are right. Mine is thin and runs without producing heat. Beautiful resolution on the screen.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Sign of the times?

pany just updated me to a surface pro, it also came with a usb adapter that has 3 usb3 ports and the cat 5 network port.................and no sd card slot...........
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Sign of the times?

I keep my very old and first HP laptop around because it has a REAL parallel port on it. As a matter of fact, I just used it 3 weeks ago to load firmware on a LaserJet 5200 via parallel. It was "crashed" and the only way to load the firmware was via parallel. The USB port on this model cannot act as an emergency firmware load port.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sign of the times?

I paid extra on my Toshiba Satellite to get the RJ45. It's something to pay attention to. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

It may not be an issue. This 3 year old Toshiba that my IT giys make fun of, may live forever. The hinges are almost completely gone, having been repaired a year ago. The keyboard has a bow in it, different keys have popped off and been replaced, been dropped a couple of times and when I don't close it, it becomes an electric heated cat bed. I will keep using it until smoke rolls out or it blows up. I also have 2 old Dells at the shop I have been meaning to repair as back ups, maybe set up one as a Xerox computer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Hi all
    our clever IT creature,gave us
    a dell vostro 15 without HDMI port.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I paid extra on my Toshiba Satellite to get the RJ45. It's something to pay attention to. =^..^=
    Yes Correct.... Hang on to your old PC architecture. The Y,Z,"Touch" generation of children are going to want to know how to do repairs to their "independent" PC systems soon. The global "Hive-hardware" will become a very annoying nuisance for the "touch-generation" of children.
    The 'Touch-Gen' of children will struggle to understand the meaning of folding toilet paper to wipe their @ss unless they can look it up on the global hive phone apps... Should we call a spade-a-spade and fast forward ahead and call them the "Hive-generation" (flippant : "H-gen").

Like a canary born in a cage, the next generation of children will know no different...
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 06-08-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Sign of the times?

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    Hi all
    our clever IT creature,gave us
    a dell vostro 15 without HDMI port.
    Typical IT twats, never bother to ask the end user what they actually want. I hate them more every day. Their latest trick to raise my ire, increase the security on my PC and now i can't erase or format copier HDD's. how do they expect me to do my job?
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.