Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Do you want it all fixed?

My first all this morning was simple. A Lanier ld015 that the side door wouldn't close all the way, causing jams. I went with a side door replacement.

Any other issues?

Nope, that should do it.

Do you know how to print a meter?

No

Let me show you, if you print the meter and it is clean, and you have lines on copies you make, clean this strip of glass.

OK that's great, thanks

Let me show you something that happens . Sometimes the backstop in the tray gets missing...[ As I open the tray, I see the back stop is missing]...So, do you get a lot of false paper jams.

Well, yes, how did you know?

It's my job, I am the copy guy.

Does your document feeder pull more than 1 sheet at a time?

Well, yes

Would you like me to fix that also?

Sure, that would be great

They were really nice people and had the copier since it was new, and really liked our company. I just wondered why you have to pry info out of paying customers. You would think they would want everything fixed on a paid service call.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Do you want it all fixed?

Should be common practice to ask if there are any other issues they would like to be addressed, I would think.

No. Not if you are running like crazy. I just ask the customer to test is and ask them if they are happy.

Or you get to a corporate customer and they only reported a single machine but would like you to fix 4 more machines!
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    .....Or you get to a corporate customer and they only reported a single machine but would like you to fix 4 more machines!
    The three words that sends a cold shiver down your spine! You've just washed your hands and packed you tools and while your completing the paperwork you hear... "While your here..."
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The three words that sends a cold shiver down your spine! You've just washed your hands and packed you tools and while your completing the paperwork you hear... "While your here..."
    Yes...................

Another anecdote that brings a cynical peeved off sense to a bloke. "It'll only take five minutes".... yeah right, two and a half hours later.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    Should be common practice to ask if there are any other issues they would like to be addressed, I would think.
    My conversation started with me asking "Are their any other issues". I always ask. The point of this thread was showing how after asking, I still had to quiz them for other issues.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

This might be stupid, but I've found that most users have very different expectations about the equipment than those of us who get paid to fix said machines. Even the users that are awesome.
    Think of it this way, how would you explain the problem to a tech if you have only done their job ever?
    That's just something from the 3M Customer Vision training back in the day. If it is a pile of uselessness now, feel free to call me rude names or something. Sometimes that's how I learn.

I have a Bizhub c550 in the office of the Special Ops Command. I was there last week and was ask about what it would take to replace it because the boss is always grumbling about it.

About what? I replied. "You guys only call be about twice a year for simple shit. Based on who you are, when you call you get top priority. Most of the time I drive by and wonder if you turned the machine in because most people with a 6 to 7 year old color box would call a lot more. In other words, all you have to do is call and we fix it"

How great a machine is, depends on the individual user.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

I'm currently full time on-site tech (one of two) in a large hospital. We get all the questions. Usually we get a lot of calls that shouldn't come to us, because the onsite I.T. personnel are supposed to handle network issues, Voice team handles fax issues, yet we get "won't print, won't fax, machine down, urgent, asap, call with ETA, why is it broken again, omgwtfbbq" calls multiple times a week.

I have to calm myself, reminisce back to the days when I could go smoke a cigarette and the rest of the world could fuck off, and realize one thing:

I would greatly prefer that these people know how to do their jobs rather than mine.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

My favorite pet peeve was always the customer who needed service on 3 or 4 machines (sometimes more), but would only place a call on one of them.

While they certainly will get the service they are paying for, they need to realize that we (at least normally) plan our days around what calls are up, and reasonable expectations of how long it will take to fix each.

It's unfair to the next customer who is expecting us at or about a certain time, but get delayed by someone who has not allowed us to plan accordingly.

If you have 3 calls, place 3 calls, and we will be more than happy to oblige.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins