Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Desperately Need a Root

... (Dirty minded buggers)

I have a lemon tree that requires a graft. I hear that the bush lemon root is the best to graft onto as it produces a better lemon fruit.

The fruit at the moment is really dimpled and rough skin surface(AKA Bush lemon). If I graft onto the bush lemon base it should produce a better lemon fruit....

Seriously.... ( no laughing allowed) ....

Lemon honey each an every morning ,... yum..... (Well yak first then yum)....

(Watching the views for this thread click..... )
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 06-11-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Desperately Need a Root

Re: Desperately Need a Root

Sorry. No lemon trees growing around here. It might have something to do with the 7 cold snowy months per year. Now 1000 miles south ... you'll find lemons. Any Florida members? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The missus an I have had the same lemon tree since we first moved into current location.
    We had a long dry period some years back and we let the lemon tree die back.
    After it died back I pruned the tree down to a basic trunk root.
    After pruning the darn lemon tree fruit came out with a totally different lemon variety.
    I've concluded that the original tree is a bush lemon and the original unknown fruit was a graft.

I wish to find out what is the best lemon graft that goes onto the bush lemon tree root.
    I would like to find out how to graft the unknown fruit back onto the root of the bush lemon trunk.

How high off the ground can I cut the trunk, an what is the best method to do the graft?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I have the same luck as blackcat4866. I think it may have more to do with the amount of sunlight though. I had a pecan sapling growing inside for quite a while back in the day when I lived in the tropics of central Illinois, but it expired rather rapidly after I moved here.
    It apparently was a male tree, so ironically or maybe for the best I didn't get any nuts from it.
    I'll have to ask my brother, years ago I got a grocery sack full of pecans from the tree at the place he used to live at.
    There's some peach trees and wild plum trees out at Mom and Dad's place, would any of that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I have the same luck as blackcat4866. I think it may have more to do with the amount of sunlight though. I had a pecan sapling growing inside for quite a while back in the day when I lived in the tropics of central Illinois, but it expired rather rapidly after I moved here.
    It apparently was a male tree, so ironically or maybe for the best I didn't get any nuts from it.
    I'll have to ask my brother, years ago I got a grocery sack full of pecans from the tree at the place he used to live at.
    There's some peach trees and wild plum trees out at Mom and Dad's place, would any of that work?
    I like most of the nut variety's except cashchew. I could never get a liking for them.

I was talking to a person a few days ago. They were talking about placing two or three stone-fruit grafts on the bush lemon root. In affect you would have one tree with three different fruits. I'm not sure I like that idea...

Desperately Need a Root

I suspect that you're right about the graft. I've never done it myself, but I've heard told by a very talented fruit tree grafter:

You take a very sharp razor knife and make a "T" shaped shallow cut in the outer bark, into the cambium ~25mm long each cut. Gently peel back the bark. On your graft cut the end to a point, exposing some of the cambium. Insert the graft into the cut, and secure it with masking tape. They also make special rubber strips to wrap around a graft, that will fall away after a couple years. Object moved

Either the graft will take, or it will fall away, and the hole heals over.

If it were me, I think I'd take tour of the local lemon orchards. In my pocket I might have a pair of small nippers. When I got home I might find that 3 or 4 fresh green ends about 13cm long had fallen into my pocket. =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I suspect that you're right about the graft. I've never done it myself, but I've heard told by a very talented fruit tree grafter:

You take a very sharp razor knife and make a "T" shaped shallow cut in the outer bark, into the cambium ~25mm long each cut. Gently peel back the bark. On your graft cut the end to a point, exposing some of the cambium. Insert the graft into the cut, and secure it with masking tape. They also make special rubber strips to wrap around a graft, that will fall away after a couple years. Object moved

Either the graft will take, or it will fall away, and the hole heals over.

If it were me, I think I'd take tour of the local lemon orchards. In my pocket I might have a pair of small nippers. When I got home I might find that 3 or 4 fresh green ends about 13cm long had fallen into my pocket. =^..^=
    Cuttings in the pocket sound like an idea...
    I don't know the original graft, that's the problem. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me so I don't kill the tree root. I want to remove the current morbid looking bush fruit off the tree base root all together, and then place a new completely different graft in its place. That means cutting the base of the tree back to near ground level. I don't want to remove the tree and plant new because that will reqire a lot of earth work.

Desperately Need a Root

I personally would not do anything to the current bush until you had a couple live grafts growing. Once it is clear that your grafts are taking, then I'd trim back the original bush a little at a time until only the grafts are left. Does that seem logical? =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I personally would not do anything to the current bush until you had a couple live grafts growing. Once it is clear that your grafts are taking, then I'd trim back the original bush a little at a time until only the grafts are left. Does that seem logical? =^..^=
    I actually thought those same sentiments after I post my last thread....

Desperately Need a Root

About 3 years ago someone walking through my neighborhood demonstrated girdling on the red maple in my front yard. At the time it was ~75mm diameter at the base.

No matter what I did the top very slowly died. Unexpectedly the root system sent up lots of feeders. When they got to about a meter high, I cut back all but the 3 straightest tallest feeders. At 1.3m I left the best two feeders. At 1.6m I left the one best feeder. It's back to 5m tall now, about where it all started 3 years ago. As long as the root system is sound, it can survive a lot. =^..^=