Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flashback

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    flashback

flashback

OK so I'm leaving the copier business after a decade or so. Going through my drawers and toolbags I found all sorts of interesting things. Check this out, I don't thinkWP_20160604_01_23_26_Pro.jpg I'll be needing this anymore! Take care guys, time for me to go IT.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    flashback

Re: flashback

Quote Originally Posted by blaze2000 View Post
    OK so I'm leaving the copier business after a decade or so. Going through my drawers and toolbags I found all sorts of interesting things. Check this out, I don't thinkWP_20160604_01_23_26_Pro.jpg I'll be needing this anymore! Take care guys, time for me to go IT.
    Yeah, I've got a few items like that, including the corona wire spool; good luck with the IT side of things - it's a cutthrought business. Some of the IT folks will keep secrets on how their networks are setup, and thusly will have knowledge that will keep them in a job.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    flashback

The last wire spool I had of that type crumbled into opaque bits plastic. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I've still got a roll of Sharp corona wire in the toolcase. It was my goto for any wire replacement for quite some time, and I keep it handy for emergency repairs. I haven't had to replace just the wires for a while though.
    I used to have a spool of gold plated Canon grid wire which was easier to use because it was thicker, but I haven't seen that in close to a decade.
    Heh, back in the day when the wires were platinum coated, when I replaced the wires I'd save the used ones. Then I realized that the plating was probably only a molecule or so thick, and as I cleaned the wires with an eraser I'd likely already wiped out the coating anyway.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    flashback

Ah... the lost art of stringing corona wires. I still have a flat-blade screwdriver with a little notch in the middle that I used to string wires back in the day, I found it worked much better than the corona tool that came in my tool box. Enjoy your sabbatical from the copier tech side of the business.

flashback

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Ah... the lost art of stringing corona wires. I still have a flat-blade screwdriver with a little notch in the middle that I used to string wires back in the day, I found it worked much better than the corona tool that came in my tool box. Enjoy your sabbatical.
    I modified the spring hook (other side of the hook-don't know if it has a name) to be able to push the wire below the screw to tighten it down.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    flashback

I did the same thing, Zootech. I found the gap too big, to get down around the screw, so I added some JB Weld to it, to shorten it up. I swear I could string a corona wire in about a minute or less, with proper tension and no burs on either end, to avoid any vibration or arcing... good times. I always hated when the spool would sit in my bag and come unraveled inside the container because I lost the red plastic holder piece at some other call prior in the week.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I did the same thing, Zootech. I found the gap too big, to get down around the screw, so I added some JB Weld to it, to shorten it up. I swear I could string a corona wire in about a minute or less, with proper tension and no burs on either end, to avoid any vibration or arcing... good times. I always hated when the spool would sit in my bag and come unraveled inside the container because I lost the red plastic holder piece at some other call prior in the week.
    RE: Spring hook and a roll of corona wire.
    Use the hook end of your spring hook to twist a loop in the end of the new corona wire, by rolling the metal spring hook in your fingers 5 or 6 twists. Using your fingers force the loop down the tapered shaft of spring hook until perfect larger loop is formed. Remove the loop off the spring hook an place under the screw on the corona electrode and tighten down. With one end of the corona wire screwed in place, measure out the corona wire with the tension spring insitu on the corona frame and twist one turn around the end of the spring eye. Flip the tension spring off the corona frame and twist the entire spring multiple times through your fingers until the corona wire is firmly fixed around the end of the tension spring. Snip the unused corona wire off the roll next to the spring, and then fit the completed wire and spring back into position on the corona frame.

The above also works in reverse. You can twist the tension spring onto the new corona wire first, then measure out to the other end of the corona frame wrap the new corona wire under the electrode screw tighten down and then snip off any excess wire.

Either Or works, depending on the corona frame an ease of access.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 06-20-2016 at 04:13 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

flashback

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    RE: Spring hook and a roll of corona wire.
    Use the hook end of your spring hook to twist a loop in the end of the new corona wire, by rolling the metal spring hook in your fingers 5 or 6 twists. Using your fingers force the loop down the tapered shaft of spring hook until perfect larger loop is formed. Remove the loop off the spring hook an place under the screw on the corona electrode and tighten down. With one end of the corona wire screwed in place, measure out the corona wire with the tension spring insitu on the corona frame and twist one turn around the end of the spring eye. Flip the tension spring off the corona frame and twist the entire spring multiple times through your fingers until the corona wire is firmly fixed around the end of the tension spring. Snip the unused corona wire off the roll next to the spring, and then fit the completed wire and spring back into position on the corona frame.

The above also works in reverse. You can twist the tension spring onto the new corona wire first, then measure out to the other end of the corona frame wrap the new corona wire under the electrode screw tighten down and then snip off any excess wire.

Either Or works, depending on the corona frame an ease of access.
    "Old School" - you have been around the block a few times, right?

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    "Old School" - you have been around the block a few times, right?
    ...Yeah, One or two rolls of corona wire later.

I never liked stringing entire multi strand corona grids, the single electrode was ok but the grids I would put off for as long a possible.
    Some of the old canons took half a roll of corona wire per grid. I tried to leave the grid maintenance for the other techs.

I though I would share my last post for all the younger blokes Techs who might get a nugget or two of info out of it.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••