Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

The Dispatcher from the Black Lagoon

Apologies to those who are of have been dispatchers.

This one is for dispatchers who. as you can tell rom the title, need their own horror movie.

Like the one who sent me 25 miles out of the way to a call because it was only just "right there" on his map!

Next!

"Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Your dispatchers know how to use maps??? Thats amazing!!!

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

what do you mean you can't work on that ? it's just another copier....... and your "right there"
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 250+ Posts just a tech's Avatar
    Had a dispatcher once that sent me out to a call about 1 1/2 hours away. Later, I was on my way back to the office and passed another tech. on the damn road. He had been dispatched to a call approx. 5 miles from where i was earlier !! So there ya have it. Two techs sent approx. 1 1/2 hours away to two calls 5 minutes apart. When I asked her about it, she said "well you were busy and I didn't want to bother you. He was at the office without any calls to go to, so I sent him". aaaahhhh !!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

How many techs does it take to change an exposure lamp?

How about two techs on the same call? And not a major PM, just a minor call. This happened several times. And we never got any sort of explanation, either.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Dispatcher? You guys are so lucky. My calls are sent to me by whoever answers the phone when the call comes in. We have a large turnover rate with the ladies who work the front desk and we all know the joy of breaking in someone new. All of my regulars know they get quick service and to call back if I am not there soon. When things go wrong I blame myself because I know who I work with, I should have seen it coming, I could be better at my job.
    On a day when my base was empty and I had nothing to do, I got to deliver a new machine to another town to a public housing office. I went to the adress on my ticket which put me in front of an empty house in a public housing slum. When I called the shop to find out why, It was that I was stupid, that was where the office was years ago, and I could have called the phone number on the ticket.
    All of the buildings on base have I.D. numbers on them like 2-2445. On base you can dile the last 5 of a phone number to make contact, if the number is 432-5555, you can dile 2-5555. It is not uncommon for me to get a ticket to go to a phone number. The last time I caught it before I left the shop but they checked the computer and assured me it was correct. My follow up call to the shop was to inform them that to get to that location I would have to scale the fence at a highly secured area and the men on the other side with guns have already said they WILL SHOOT ME if I do.
    Dispatch- Jerry I have a call for you.
    Me - Where?
    Dispatch- Fort Bragg
    Me - I know dear this is the only place I work. Could you give me the location?
    Dispatch- Building 2-1105
    Me - Can you narrow it down?
    Dispatch- What do you mean?
    Me - That building is a city block long and three stories high, we have 12 machines in there.
    Dispatch- Well what do you want me to do?
    Me [ in my best Lumberg voice ] Yeah I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and call them back. If you could do that, that would be great.
    Before I carried a cell phone I left the shop, got about a quarter mile down the road and got the page to "call in when you get a chance". I went to my first call 10 miles away and called from thier phone. "You left your tickets here" is what my shop said. "why didn't you tell me that on the pager so I could turn around?" "We needed to tell you something". "{ loudly}Couldn't you have told me in person when I got my tickets?"
    " click" then dile tone
    How about this one.... Jerry did you get the page I sent you about the guy who wanted to buy some color printers? No I didn't, can I have the info? Um... I didn't write it down.
    And yes lord it is not just a joke, we had a girl who would make copies of the document she was going to fax because she didn't want to send the original.

Conservative in Exile 250+ Posts laserman06's Avatar
    I am really glad we do not have dispatchers. The customers call in and enter the information into our system. The call is sent to the assigned tech. We are responsible for our territories. We decide where we go and when. Who knows better than us about the machines we service. I mean if a customer calls in for jamming out of a single paper tray and one calls in for a code, who do we go to? I rank my calls on the situation and the needs of my customers. Our company is good about letting the techs run their territories. I really like that.

But, let me say I feel your pain. I have had to deal with a dispatcher most of my career. Almost as bad as sales people.
    The family that prays together, stays together!
    Smile God created you and He doesn't make mistakes!

Relax, God IS in control!

Be still and know that I am God
    Ps 46:10

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just a tech View Post
    Had a dispatcher once that sent me out to a call about 1 1/2 hours away. Later, I was on my way back to the office and passed another tech. on the damn road. He had been dispatched to a call approx. 5 miles from where i was earlier !! So there ya have it. Two techs sent approx. 1 1/2 hours away to two calls 5 minutes apart. When I asked her about it, she said "well you were busy and I didn't want to bother you. He was at the office without any calls to go to, so I sent him". aaaahhhh !!
    Expensive judgement call considering the price of fuel nowadays.
    Dispatcher's need to be smarter than that.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    I have had the experience several times of attending a machine in a "print room" style environment, getting ten or twenty minutes into the job only to have one of my colleagues arrive to come fix a machine not three feet away from the one I'm fixing.

The customer has told me there's a problem with both machines, I've told the office there's another call..........but meh.

If they want to pay the fuel costs for two engineers to attend the same site then fine.

Service Manager 250+ Posts lkrsardis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just a tech View Post
    Sounds like Ikon before the automated dispatch system.
    Like the United States Postal Service It's a miracle it works!