Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    scrub 500+ Posts jmaister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    21

    PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Something is developing in Canada and the purpose of this thread is hoping that less become the victims. SPREAD THE WORD.

    What it is

    - Locking clients down on leases they cant afford through "rebates".

    Things to look for

    as a client
    - Do you have the lease agreement?
    - Does it take forever for equipment company to provide one? or NEVER?
    - If you do have the agreement, do the SERIAL numbers match? cross reference with leasing company.
    - Too good to be true service agreements?
    - Offered rebate that rolls the old lease onto the new one?
    - Started lease payment before the machine arrived
    - Delay in rebate cheques.
    as a service provider
    - Do you have anxi employers, very disorganized?
    - swapping parts to fix machines, rarely buy new
    - preping old machines that just came in to be turned around. (with unknown leasing status)
    - do you drop off cheques for your employers but dont really know what they are for?

    *NOTE! One can argue that as long as rebates keep coming there's no issue. But when it STOPS, the numbers become frightening.
    Multiply by number of clients, and how much individual client is in for (think brand new Loaded Camry as rough MINIMUM estimate)

    Whats happening

    • reports of mismatched serial numbers, or simply missing. (serial# list A to client, serial# list B to leasing company,)
    • never delivered accessories either in software of physical add-ons (acc list A to client, acc list B to leasing company)


    What you should do

    as a client
    • do not sign ANYTHING in good faith, as some cons are long terms.
    • make sure everything is written and fill out legit.
    • get a copy of lease agreement ASAP, otherwise dont even consider.
    • operate within your means, cant say this enough.


    as a employee

    What could we do? If we do it wrong, there goes our reputation in the small community and get in legal trouble? Stay to the bitter end without knowing? I dont know what to say.



    Dislaimer: All these are what I compiled through word of mouth in the last couple days, it is meant to raise awareness not meant as legal council.

    All the best


    J

    Last edited by jmaister; 07-14-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    An idling develper is not a healthy developer.

  2. #2
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts roho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    492
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    Something is developing in Canada and the purpose of this thread is hoping that less become the victims. SPREAD THE WORD.

    What it is

    - Locking clients down on leases they cant afford through "rebates".

    Things to look for

    as a client
    - Do you have the lease agreement?
    - Does it take forever for equipment company to provide one? or NEVER?
    - If you do have the agreement, do the SERIAL numbers match? cross reference with leasing company.
    - Too good to be true service agreements?
    - Offered rebate that rolls the old lease onto the new one?
    - Started lease payment before the machine arrived
    - Delay in rebate cheques.
    as a service provider
    - Do you have anxi employers, very disorganized?
    - swapping parts to fix machines, rarely buy new
    - preping old machines that just came in to be turned around. (with unknown leasing status)
    - do you drop off cheques for your employers but dont really know what they are for?

    *NOTE! One can argue that as long as rebates keep coming there's no issue. But when it STOPS, the numbers become frightening.
    Multiply by number of clients, and how much individual client is in for (think brand new Loaded Camry as rough MINIMUM estimate)

    Whats happening

    • reports of mismatched serial numbers, or simply missing. (serial# list A to client, serial# list B to leasing company,)
    • never delivered accessories either in software of physical add-ons (acc list A to client, acc list B to leasing company)


    What you should do

    as a client
    • do not sign ANYTHING in good faith, as some cons are long terms.
    • make sure everything is written and fill out legit.
    • get a copy of lease agreement ASAP, otherwise dont even consider.
    • operate within your means, cant say this enough.


    as a employee

    What could we do? If we do it wrong, there goes our reputation in the small community and get in legal trouble? Stay to the bitter end without knowing? I dont know what to say.



    Dislaimer: All these are what I compiled through word of mouth in the last couple days, it is meant to raise awareness not meant as legal council.

    All the best


    J
    Thanks for the warning, now I can sleep easier knowing this is happening in that awful rouge state Canada!


  3. #3
    scrub 500+ Posts jmaister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    Thanks for the warning, now I can sleep easier knowing this is happening in that awful rouge state Canada!


    culprit bailed down south, i feel safer up here?

    An idling develper is not a healthy developer.

  4. #4
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    PSA - Tell of a Scam

    ZOOTECH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Insane Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,951
    Rep Power
    80

    Re: PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post


    culprit bailed down south, i feel safer up here?
    We had one of those in the late 90's - found out he was wanted in a few different states.

    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

  5. #5
    scrub 500+ Posts jmaister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    We had one of those in the late 90's - found out he was wanted in a few different states.
    what was his name?

    if anybody remembers.

    I dont think name and shame rules applies for this scenario.

    Last edited by jmaister; 07-14-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    An idling develper is not a healthy developer.

  6. #6
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    PSA - Tell of a Scam

    ZOOTECH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Insane Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,951
    Rep Power
    80

    Re: PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    what was his name?

    if anybody remembers.

    I dont think name and shame rules applies for this scenario.
    If I could remember his name, I certainly would post it here.
    He had the audacity to follow up a large sale, and had the customer to 'just make the check out in his name' - not the company's name.

    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

  7. #7
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Lagonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,377
    Rep Power
    49

    Re: PSA - Tell of a Scam

    Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    Something is developing in Canada and the purpose of this thread is hoping that less become the victims. SPREAD THE WORD.

    What it is

    - Locking clients down on leases they cant afford through "rebates".

    Things to look for

    as a client
    - Do you have the lease agreement?
    - Does it take forever for equipment company to provide one? or NEVER?
    - If you do have the agreement, do the SERIAL numbers match? cross reference with leasing company.
    - Too good to be true service agreements?
    - Offered rebate that rolls the old lease onto the new one?
    - Started lease payment before the machine arrived
    - Delay in rebate cheques.
    as a service provider
    - Do you have anxi employers, very disorganized?
    - swapping parts to fix machines, rarely buy new
    - preping old machines that just came in to be turned around. (with unknown leasing status)
    - do you drop off cheques for your employers but dont really know what they are for?
    i thought that was standard practice in the photocopier industry.... or do I just have a very jaundiced view of salesmen?

    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here