Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I hate it when you guess.

Re: I hate it when you guess.

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Yeh, and buy kyocera. 3yrs bumper to bumper warranty, by then you may know most of the in and out of the machine. just a plug for kyocera here. Kyocera new lineup is a tech dream, only to see if they would hold up to the rigors of the likes of school boards districts.
    The other good thing is Kyocera allows sales returns on unused parts with no restocking fee, helps if you not 100% sure which part is at fault but still want to show up with the right one. The cost of return shipping is much less than a 2nd return trip if you guess wrong.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

The board repair companies get a very high percentage of boards for repair that they find no issue with.

Of course, a lot of that happens when the tag says "Check complete", or is blank.

If you send a board in for repair, provide as much detail as possible. Attach a separate sheet if necessary.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Many issues with today's technology aren't so cut and dried. The manufacturers support often can't single out a direct cause, often it could be a expensive controller or another expensive pcb. I've seen numerous faults where no error codes are generated, turns out the faulty component would have triggered errors on previous devices. Not having a technical manager makes the sledding even more difficult, he thinks a large scale proof printer should run as long as a smaller office printer, especially the cost. He now has a tenuous relationship with the support team, thanks to some tersely worded emails. We often resort to "guessing", however I try everything I can think of to make the guessing the best I can. New devices go alot further in between routine calls, however when there is a problem it is often much more complex then the run of them a few years ago. You can't even swap out many pcb boards now from a "spare" machine these days like you used to be able to, and the manuals are now often filled with bafflegab type translations, typos, or wrong info at times. I know many customers see you working on a problem and are amazed how much is involved with some of these devices once they see the back covers off, a wall of circuit boards and colored wires.

Having a co-tech guessing, truly guessing is not fun at all, seemingly throwing anything at the wall, not reading bulletins etc. then you're the one who gets to finish the call. If only it was as easy as everyone seems to think it should be!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    I hate it when you guess.

Fortunately I haven't had to guess much in last several years. I work mostly on Kon / Min and find many models have the same issues. I always try and have a parts machine if I do need a board or oddball part. Since I sell mainly off-lease machines they are already 2 or 3 yrs old and by then you know what problems to look for, or more importantly what machines to stay away from! I have a very good friend that is Service Director for a large K/M dealership, he gives me a heads up on what machines have worked well. I must say there haven't been many bad K/M models over the last 10 yrs. I know I'm going to regret saying this but I haven't replaced a main board in probably 2+ yrs! *Knock on wood*.

Most of my calls are for PF rollers, consumables, network issues, some cheap plastic piece broken by customer, etc etc. Not many electronic issues.

I can't be this lucky !!! I'm sure it's that K/M boxes are that good

Service Manager 250+ Posts nottoosharp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    The 2 series?

Did they fix the fuser, the cheap paper cassette, and the consumables that dont last til rated?
    Did they make it so you need to Leston 3 pounds of C-4 to get the covers off yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk