Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Probably just a curiosity and unnecissary silliness

While it is very important to pay attention to your local weather news and blow off potential nonsensical myths, I suppose this may be something for people in the western area of Europe to keep an eye on -
    Apparently there's a tropical storm headed towards the U. S. in the Atlantic Ocean right now, but it is quite a ways off at this time.
    However, on the website Intellicast, one of the six computer models of its track has the storm making a hard right turn at Bermuda and heading your way.
    That's a long, long, long term forecast, and there's only a seventeen percent chance at best (last I heard, on a perfectly sunny day there is a twenty percent chance of rain), so it's really outrageously unlikely. Plus the majority of the computer models show the storm failing to even make it halfway between Bermuda and the east coast of the U. S. But it has actually happened once since I've been a member of CTN, so I thought I might give you a heads up.
    I got that data from here:
    Intellicast - Weather Active Map
    (As usual, open that link at your own peril.)
    (Zoom out to the max setting, and then select the active model track from the layers menu to see for yourself.)
    I've been using Intellecast for local radar display for a while, as the National Weather Service radar display has occasionally been unreliable during severe weather out here on the periphery.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 08-19-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Probably just a curiosity and unnecissary silliness

I don't believe there is any silliness to having a genuine interest in global events, weather or otherwise.
    I too like to keep track of sudden unusual global climate change issues.

We had another stronger 5.4mag earth quake in the same area down an out from the coast at my location.
    I find it interesting that you have reported a cyclone/hurricane forming roughly along the same latitude.Is there a corresponding push-pull (yin/yang) energy transition along that same latitude causing these unusual weather events to occur around the same time ???

One thing I know absolutely certain, as the Northern hemisphere experiences an unusual heat wave the southern hemisphere experiences a corresponding unusual freeze, an visa versa...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but apparently there are a couple of high pressure systems just off the east coast of the U. S., and if I understand it correctly tropical storms evolve from low pressure systems. If I am right, I'd guess that would be at least enough to keep that particular storm from reaching shore here. The jet stream in the northern hemisphere is currently nowhere near that storm, so there would need to be forces I am not aware of to make it head for Europe. That was why I was kind of evasive.
    Still, I did see that before, and it ended up that at least one person on CTN said that there was some time of intense soaking rains in the southern part of the U. K., which was could have been because of that. Since I did nothing then I thought it was something I should do now.
    There's still earthquakes there? Um, I read somewhere that recently Australia had to correct GPS coordinates there thanks to continental drift. Could that have something to do with the quakes? Sorry, in this part of the periphery we don't have that kind of thing, so I'm probably a big earthquake dummy and I'm just guessing. For what it is worth though, I hope this currently is just a rough patch and things smooth out shortly.

I clicked on the following web link that you provide: Intellicast - Weather Active Map

The weather map page loaded on my browser, and then my computer decided to lock up solid.

After I reboot my PC I went back to the same above website an I couldn't see the cyclone/hurricane in the same position on the weather map.I loaded the page 3 more times and the cyclone/hurricane changed position each time on the web page map...

Huh whaaat... beats me.... so I gave up trying to reload the weather map...

I'm not sure who quoted:
    "To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer."...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Accuracy is debatable, except in the following situations: indirect fire, close air support, mortar team suppressing fire, thrown grenades, curling, bocce and horseshoes. And lawn darts.

And weather predictions.

When I clicked this I had no issues, but the standard warning applies.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but apparently there are a couple of high pressure systems just off the east coast of the U. S., and if I understand it correctly tropical storms evolve from low pressure systems. If I am right, I'd guess that would be at least enough to keep that particular storm from reaching shore here. The jet stream in the northern hemisphere is currently nowhere near that storm, so there would need to be forces I am not aware of to make it head for Europe. That was why I was kind of evasive.
    Still, I did see that before, and it ended up that at least one person on CTN said that there was some time of intense soaking rains in the southern part of the U. K., which was could have been because of that. Since I did nothing then I thought it was something I should do now.
    There's still earthquakes there? Um, I read somewhere that recently Australia had to correct GPS coordinates there thanks to continental drift. Could that have something to do with the quakes? Sorry, in this part of the periphery we don't have that kind of thing, so I'm probably a big earthquake dummy and I'm just guessing. For what it is worth though, I hope this currently is just a rough patch and things smooth out shortly.
    I think you meant "magnetic pole shift" and NOT continental drift!....magnetic pole shift happens at a MUCH faster pace and can definitely affect GPS coordinates!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Accuracy is debatable, except in the following situations: indirect fire, close air support, mortar team suppressing fire, thrown grenades, curling, bocce and horseshoes. And lawn darts.

And weather predictions.

When I clicked this I had no issues, but the standard warning applies.

The above global events map appears to be okay.
    The map even goes as far to show biological epidemic hazards zones.
    Good to know all the relevant information if travelling into those areas...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I clicked on the following web link that you provide: Intellicast - Weather Active Map

The weather map page loaded on my browser, and then my computer decided to lock up solid.

After I reboot my PC I went back to the same above website an I couldn't see the cyclone/hurricane in the same position on the weather map.I loaded the page 3 more times and the cyclone/hurricane changed position each time on the web page map...

Huh whaaat... beats me.... so I gave up trying to reload the weather map...

I'm not sure who quoted:
    "To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer."...
    Crap, sorry about that.

The storm I was talking about is named Gaston, well, at least here in the U. S. anyway. That way, if my stupid weather website causes grief you can follow it on the website of your choice.
    I think it's important to say now that I'm no meteorologist. It is very important to pay attention to the official weather reporting in your locality.
    (It's just that as calls were further apart out on the periphery, I often needed to have a somewhat more robust understanding of the weather conditions than what the local forecast supplied. I did my best. For the most part, that worked.)
    The latest computer models show that storm ending in open water in the Atlantic Ocean. Even the longest model track shows the terminal point as somewhere almost halfway between eastern Canada and the U. K. So this has turned into a false alarm, with an extra helping of unnecessary drama from me, which I don't care for, which makes it even worse. Crap, sorry about that.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

This one is always fun to watch. Lags my PC like crazy, but when it does run, it's interesting.

Norse IP Viking Global Attack Map
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!