Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quality of our coworkers.

I was going through some KMBS solutions and found more than 1 posting where someone was asking how to print a meter read. This was on a c552, a machine where you press the counter button, touch the meter button, expand it and touch print. These people have to be certified on something to access the site. Are there really certified techs out there who can't figure out a meter read? Who are we working with?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: Quality of our coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I was going through some KMBS solutions and found more than 1 posting where someone was asking how to print a meter read. This was on a c552, a machine where you press the counter button, touch the meter button, expand it and touch print. These people have to be certified on something to access the site. Are there really certified techs out there who can't figure out a meter read? Who are we working with?

If a tech is trained on a product then there is no excuse as that basic question would come up on the training session. Sometimes it can be found in a few places like service mode and consumable section, which bring up the question of the manufacturers doing a lousy job of placing a so important item all over the place and which can cause headache to find and also billing problems.
    e.g Hp has monochrome printer meter read can be found in the configuration page and also the usage page and they never match up, plus reading the information and getting the totals from some of those pages can be daunting, as they have all kind of figures next to each other. Lots of customer has to send in their meter read to us and if they cannot get it in the right place then the billing will be out of whack. When all that is needed is a simple one page with b/w= cl=.
    they can have have another section for percentage coverage, but for quick and accurate readings a dedicated simple meter page should be provided.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I can see it on a Bz35 where Konica went to great lengths to hide it.

Our girls have a sheet for each modle they fax to customers with instructions on how to get the meter.

I once had a guy with 12 years experience ask me about an HP lj4. He had a black lie down the center of the page and ask me where it came from. Seriously??? look at the drum, then the fuser!
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Personally I would have told him to check the wangle nut or the rotator splint. Then hand his notice in.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

As silly as it may sound, most techs are trained on the technical aspects of a machine, but seldom on how to actually operate it, or the key operator features.

I know that our trainers get frequent questions from technicians along these lines, or worse, get asked by customers when the trainer is there, because "the tech didn't know".

The trainers may not know how to fix machines, but they sure know how to run'em.

As far as I'm concerned, techs should be trained and tested on the contents of the operator's manuals. No, wait, that would add more time to the length of a training course, and management wouldn't want to hear that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Nothing surprises me anymore, techs who order a buffet of parts with no real idea, then leave another tech to replace them, tech's who don't answer their email for hours, techs who replace the fuser cleaning web, and leave the worn fuser roller, don't or won't reset counters on durables, vague notes to finish calls,no communication regarding problems or accounts. I've went to customers with parts ordered by another tech only to find they weren't required, but required ones skipped. They cause more work for everyone as well. I wonder what some guys are thinking sometimes.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

We've had a streamlining of car inventory recently. So each of us has turned in 6 or 8K of inventory. The surprise comes when you order a kit, and discover that the kit you have been given is parted out and turned back in. I don't care so much about the drum claws, but I really wanted a pressure roller for my fuser rebuild. I'm going to have to open up every kit (and every package) and check the contents before accepting it.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I just typed in this in google . " meter read for c552" and found this site in the first page.

Meter & Serial Locator

These smart phones are really smart, so the techs can use them for things like this. Always said, the smart phones of today are a great help tool in a tech arsenal of tools.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    I just typed in this in google . " meter read for c552" and found this site in the first page.

Meter & Serial Locator

These smart phones are really smart, so the techs can use them for things like this. Always said, the smart phones of today are a great help tool in a tech arsenal of tools.
    The smart phones are great, but I believe techs are dumbing down by not analyzing the problem, and figuring out the repair. I believe we thinking techs will soon be out of work (except to repair those 'monkeys').
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    The smart phones are great, but I believe techs are dumbing down by not analyzing the problem, and figuring out the repair. I believe we thinking techs will soon be out of work (except to repair those 'monkeys').
    Well CTN suppose to have all the answers, so why the analyzing. There are tons of walking manuals here, so just send a one line post, someone will respond in record time. CTN is great, but the basics in how the machine works must be understood for a tech to achieve a measure of independent analysis.