Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Starting all over again

After reading the post on "quality of our coworkers" I felt compelled to post this little gripe.

A local company who sells mailing equipment just lost their technician. I'm filling in, doing part time work for them to help make up for the loss of laser printer/copier work.

I feel like a damn rookie. These are just great big inkjet machines, made to print on envelopes. They're so simple... nowhere near as complicated as your average copier. But over and over again, I have to call factory support for, what seem like, really simple fixes. Yet, I can usually find solutions I've never seen before on any laser printer.

I'm an old dog, trying to learn some new tricks. It's just not easy.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Starting all over again

Re: Starting all over again

Congratulations! I have always seen them, but never worked on them and was always curious. It's the name of the game in our business, I believe once you become comfortable in your knowledge and stop learning about, you're done for. It's always intimidating learning a piece of office equipment, especially, when your just thrown to the wolves are told to fix it and the customer is right over your shoulder, asking questions. But, once you become more knowledgeable through hands on and plenty of service manual reading you can look back and think to yourself, " what the hell was I so intimidated about." I would say 90% of my learning was from going to the clients machine and learning that way. Sure, I've been to school for Sharp, Canon and Ricoh but the real learning in my opinion is out in the field. All of my networking knowledge came from Google, YouTube, hands on and lots of questions. I have too be honest with you, I seem more knowledgeable than some of the 'Newbie" IT techs that are being popped out of our Universities, today...oh, boy I could tell you some stories.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Starting all over again

I got one of those rare backhanded complements from a customer the other day.

I had just re-assembled a hang-on finisher, and powered it up. The customer was sitting at an adjoining desk. When it began to run it made a very loud banging noise, probably because I had neglected to plug in the lower limit switch.

The customer said: "I was really impressed with your composure. You didn't even flinch when it started making those noises! You've been doing this a while."
    Me: "It's not the loudest noise I've ever heard from a copier, and it didn't even try to remove any of my fingers. Nothing to get worked up about."
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Starting all over again

Ah... you had one of those moments, too- the banging finisher trick, it sure does wake up those mindless- office drones! I had the same thing happen on I believe SF-S14 or 15, back then they were called sorters, customers would knock the moving bins out of place ALL THE TIME, I forgot to plug in the stop sensor as well, turned it on and BANG,BANG,BANG! Those sorters were a pain to work on. Thankfully, I have always made it a habit of keeping my hand on the power switch at start up.
    Last edited by copiertec; 08-26-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Here is something to ease that woe.

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

The giant postage meters are the worst. Not made for the tech. We have had to buy special tools just to remove motors. Not really precision made either. I repaired one that was jamming at the US attorney's office by taking my knife and cutting the opening larger that a feed roller was rubbing.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I had just re-assembled a hang-on finisher, and powered it up. The customer was sitting at an adjoining desk. When it began to run it made a very loud banging noise, probably because I had neglected to plug in the lower limit switch.

The customer said: "I was really impressed with your composure. You didn't even flinch when it started making those noises! You've been doing this a while."
    Me: "It's not the loudest noise I've ever heard from a copier, and it didn't even try to remove any of my fingers. Nothing to get worked up about."
    The loudest "Bang, Bang,Bang" I've ever had was from the Risogragh GR and RA series digital duplicators. This happens when the machine's clamp unit for some reason fails to operate...open and close the drum's clamp plate.the noise is scary and it can come with a prize, broken teeth gear. I've since learnt how to realign the angular magnet in position with the angular sensors.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Ottawatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I feel like a damn rookie.
    I'm an old dog, trying to learn some new tricks. It's just not easy.
    I worked for Pitney Bowes from '82 to '99, and from '10 to present have been working on FP stuff, so if I can be of help...

Tim
    Nothing works quite so well that I can't totally disable it by trying to make it a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Nothing like a good grrrrr noise to wake you up in the mornings.

Like working on Oce machines for the first time with no clue or training.
    Whatever

Starting all over again

Just to pull the thread back on track again......

Looks like we're about to end a 40 year association with one major manufacturer and swap to another. Not looking forward to having to learn how to read a different style of service manual, parts manual and negotiating my way through a new maze of finding info and ordering parts.
    Please don't tell me its going to be a life improving challenge, I'm on the wrong side of 60, I don't need challenges, just a quiet life.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.