Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Starting all over again

Re: Starting all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    ... I don't need challenges, just a quiet life.
    Nobody guaranteed you a quiet life. But I can almost certainly guarantee that this job is following a moving target. You'll do fine.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Starting all over again

Just to pull the thread back on track again......

Looks like we're about to end a 40 year association with one major manufacturer and swap to another. Not looking forward to having to learn how to read a different style of service manual, parts manual and negotiating my way through a new maze of finding info and ordering parts.
    Please don't tell me its going to be a life improving challenge, I'm on the wrong side of 60, I don't need challenges, just a quiet life.
    Don't worry, Phillip, you've lasted this long; I'm sure you'll survive the remaining years before retirement.🍻
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    The giant postage meters are the worst. Not made for the tech. We have had to buy special tools just to remove motors. Not really precision made either. I repaired one that was jamming at the US attorney's office by taking my knife and cutting the opening larger that a feed roller was rubbing.
    Heh, sounds a little like the first step on fixing a Riso with a master disposal jamming problem. Then again probably not even a little bit. On the RG to GR Risos, if there was a reoccurring master wrap in the VTR area, the first thing to do was to remove the disposal box and use a sheet metal adjusting screwdriver to increase the space between the disposal guides.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Just to pull the thread back on track again......

Looks like we're about to end a 40 year association with one major manufacturer and swap to another. Not looking forward to having to learn how to read a different style of service manual, parts manual and negotiating my way through a new maze of finding info and ordering parts.
    Please don't tell me its going to be a life improving challenge, I'm on the wrong side of 60, I don't need challenges, just a quiet life.
    Not good to hear...

Don't tell me you guys are moving to the manufacturer at the end of the alphabet.... ????

Moving around from dealer to dealer appears to be an on going trend at the moment.

I'm sure you'll do fine...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Just to pull the thread back on track again...... Looks like we're about to end a 40 year association with one major manufacturer and swap to another. Not looking forward to having to learn how to read a different style of service manual, parts manual and negotiating my way through a new maze of finding info and ordering parts. Please don't tell me its going to be a life improving challenge, I'm on the wrong side of 60, I don't need challenges, just a quiet life.
    The mothership did that a few years ago. Then again it was only around 25 years here until that change, so perhaps not as much. Still, back then I had the similar worries, but a coworker told me a blank sheet goes in one side and a printed sheet comes out the other. Every last machine that has printed ever works this way. So while it will be irritating in the beginning, you've been doing this long enough that you will succeed. Well, unless the new manufacturer's facilities are in some guy's garage, and he assembles the machines with an axe. Then you're doomed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    What Brand of mailing equipment? I am an FP tech.. might be able to help with those manuals if needed
    FP. I can't think of what FP means. Secrap, Buskro, Astrojet, Walco, KR, Xijet, etc., etc.,. Pretty much anything that comes our way. So far, the only thing I haven't been touching is the inserters.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Starting all over again

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Not good to hear...

Don't tell me you guys are moving to the manufacturer at the end of the alphabet.... ????

Moving around from dealer to dealer appears to be an on going trend at the moment.

I'm sure you'll do fine...
    No, fortunately its not that far down the alphabet. All very hush hush at the moment so I can't name name.
    However we've just unboxed a delivery of 20 small printers and 4 of them have crook screens. That doesn't bode well.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

No, fortunately its not that far down the alphabet. All very hush hush at the moment so I can't name name.
    However we've just unboxed a delivery of 20 small printers and 4 of them have crook screens. That doesn't bode well.
    No good....

Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

In the end they're all just plastic boxes filled with what makes them go.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    FP = Franko Postilia ... yeah I do the potage machines - folder/inserters - letter openers .. it's a german based company.. USA HQ is in MI.
    Ok, most of what I'm working on is high production equipment.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I got one of those rare backhanded complements from a customer the other day.

I had just re-assembled a hang-on finisher, and powered it up. The customer was sitting at an adjoining desk. When it began to run it made a very loud banging noise, probably because I had neglected to plug in the lower limit switch.

The customer said: "I was really impressed with your composure. You didn't even flinch when it started making those noises! You've been doing this a while."
    Me: "It's not the loudest noise I've ever heard from a copier, and it didn't even try to remove any of my fingers. Nothing to get worked up about."
    I once spent 30-45 minutes in a prison office trying to get the hot roller back in a MP2852 fuser. Finally I figured out you have to angle it just right to get it to slide all the way to the right to make it work. One of the office workers complimented my lack of swearing at it.