Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Could I get some tool bag recommendations?

Re: Could I get some tool bag recommendations?

Try a local Lowes, Home Depot or Harbor Freight Tools. I am currently using a 18x14x6 aluminum case that cost about $30.00. May not last as long as a good Platt but a ot less cost and came with tool pallet.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Try a local Lowes, Home Depot or Harbor Freight Tools. I am currently using a 18x14x6 aluminum case that cost about $30.00. May not last as long as a good Platt but a lot less cost and came with tool pallet.
    Wal Mart has some good canvas ones too, if all you need are the very basics. Back when I worked on some machines in a prison I used one from there. It held my big and stubby magnetic screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, a tweaker, a pen oiler, a set of forceps, all the SD cards I ever needed for any firmware update, and assorted cleaning supplies and paperwork. I think it cost around seventeen bucks, and it came with some tools already in it that are OK for light home repairs.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Wal Mart has some good canvas ones too, if all you need are the very basics. Back when I worked on some machines in a prison I used one from there. It held my big and stubby magnetic screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, a tweaker, a pen oiler, a set of forceps, all the SD cards I ever needed for any firmware update, and assorted cleaning supplies and paperwork. I think it cost around seventeen bucks, and it came with some tools already in it that are OK for light home repairs.

Well this is like shopping for a wedding ring. So much to choose from, but the diamond must have a certain cut, and the colour must be a tinge of gray. I think the reply to his question is what a seasoned salesman will ask " How much you have or willing to spend ". So lets start there and then bring out the goodies to fit the price range.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm not a copier tech, so, I go EXTREMELY basic.

10-11" phillips screwdriver (magnetized)
    Small standard screwdriver (not magnetized)
    Flashlight

I too go into prisons, so, less is better. If I feel I need anything else for the job, I'll bring it with me from my car.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Company gets toolbags from Katun, I think, embroidered with the company logo, but techs are allowed to carry whatever they want as long as it's "professional-looking". No Hello Kitty backpacks full of screwdrivers and Stretch 'n' Dust cloths.

But, when carrying the "company" toolbag as well as a DR411, Dev Unit, Fusing Unit, it can get unwieldy. I put the DV411 in the toolbag for that call. Or on a toner run for the weekly replenishment of spares, one of these surely helps.

HOT WHEELS!
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Remember going into the airport to do a call and logging that bag with tools in one hand and struggling with the parts in the other. So relieved when got to destination. From the parking lot to the machine a good quarter mile or so. The bags with wheels is definitely what i would go with, even it is to carry small items.
    The cart above is always in the trunk for the odd return of small machines, especially when you are miles away and they want you to bring back the machine.

This is the one our techs use and it is a good bag and cost effective.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9jrpb2sudt_b

Just type in "Targus tool bags" if the link above does not go to the bag section
    Last edited by subaro; 09-09-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

I use this one... Fits way more than i need. Including laptop, and an electric blower.

Klein Tools Tradesman Pro-Organizer Tech BackPack-55456BPL - The Home Depot