Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Most interesting copier location

Re: Most interesting copier location

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I had similar happen at an Airport security station. I had to go through the terminal gates to get to the Security Admin Office.

Air Sec: Sir can you place your brief case(toolbag) on the tray.
    Tool bag goes through the Xray machine. Holy crap....!!! you can't bring that in here.

Me: I have too, it's my job to service the Security Admin copier.

Air Sec : Hang on while I call my supervisor.

Air Sec Supervisor : No you can not bring that(bag) through.

Me : Your boss is going to be realllllly p!ssed....

Air sec Supervisor : Ring , Ring... random back and forward phone chatter.

Air Sec Supervisor : Ok sir we will have a security detail assigned to your toolcase and they will bring the toolcase out to the Security Admin Office.
    Go on through.....

Me : Amazed at how security policy changes the closer you get to the top...

Just yesterday at the Empire State Building (NYC) passing through security, everything came out of my pockets including belt with buckle, except my RFID protected wallet - that ended up being the culprit.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

There are a few places I've visited that have nearly resulted in me removing my penis, forcibly, from my body. They are usually aircraft related. Major aircraft manufacturer. RAF bases. Engine test cells. Fighter training squadron offices. I think fixthecopier has me beat on this one hands down, he sees this every day. But my god, standing next to a huge, completed wing of an airliner had me watering at the crotch.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Usual problems getting into"secure"sites

Guard "you can't come in here you haven't been inducted /got a high viz vest / steel toe capped boots etc...etc...etc...
    Me "But I'm not going into the manufacturing plant/ building site/ etc, I'm only going to the site office to fix a printer.
    Guard "Nope"
    Me " That's a shame 'cos the office girl can't do the pay run until she gets her printer fixed"
    Guard " Oh in that case............"
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

That sounds like the steel mill I used to go to when I lived in Illinois. They made various types of wire and fencing there. There was one analog copier that was in the supervisor's "shed" out on the floor where they did the "final assembly" of the really huge rolls of wire (around 3/8 inch diameter wire, about 6 foot diameter rolls) enough times that I kept a pair of steel toed boots in the car. There were some really big machines out on that floor that were kind of cool to watch in action, but occasionally I had to dodge those rolls of wire as they were being transported around on hangers while getting to the copier. The metal was still pretty hot, too. Not red hot, but still hot enough that they never had the bay doors closed on that shop, even when there was snow on the ground in the winter. I learned how to use WD40 to clean rollers there. I also got practice on how to replace broken feelers on photointerupter sensors use with paper clips there. Metal feelers were way more durable in a place like that.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terramobil View Post
    German Secret Service, Cologne/Bonn Airport Tower, US Forces Airports Ramstein and Spangdahlem, Frankfurt Messeturm at 52th floor, close to the windows.

What makes me the happiest about this post is "fifty twoth floor".

It's early yet and I'm only halfway through my morning medication for this Thursdine.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts StrippedScrew's Avatar

My favorite was a magnesium mine an hour out of town. I was working in the control office when one of the guys goes "Watch this". This was a 20 ft cauldron of magnesium with 80 ft flames, you could feel the heat from across the mine and through the door of the office. There was a group of guys in silver suits wrestling a lid onto it. Made me appreciate my job.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Not long after I started the army rented a couple of copiers for some war games they were playing. They were out in the deep woods. I had a call on one. My service car was one of those Susuki piece of shit like a Geo metro. I am driving on this dirt road when all of a sudden a solider jumps out of the brush, motioning frantically waving for me to stop. I slam on the brakes and just about 15 feet in front of me, these 3 giant M-1 tanks come flying out of the trees doing about 40 to 50 mph, cutting across the road I was on. Based on the size of the tank vs the size of my car, it would have been like running over a beer can for them.

If you like guns, I wish I had pics of this one. The Special Warfare School has a weapons facility. Before the new one was build, they used an old building from the 60's. The copier was in the weapons vault. They not only keep what we use, but a collection of all guns used by every army. The vault reminded me of the scene in the Matrix where they bring up these rows of guns in this endless room.

I also used to enjoy watching the pilots learning how to keep the big Chinooks level.

Being in the command of any of these places on base is like any office building, except the security is tight and everyone dresses the same.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I've just been to the Lung Foundation which doesn't sound all that interesting until you discover that they are at the top of a very steep hill!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    I've just been to the Lung Foundation which doesn't sound all that interesting until you discover that they are at the top of a very steep hill!
    ... Probably just down the hill from the Heart foundation. ....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

no mercy... 50+ Posts claudioterrible's Avatar

we use to work with a cruise line and they have machines on board,they always invite us to lunch after the service is done!!!