Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Most interesting copier location

What's your most interesting service location?

I've got machines in prisons, which are often not the kind of interesting you want.

One on an island that was delivered by ferry then carried on horse drawn cart to its install location. I have to walk to it every time for service, up a rather steep hill.

A couple in an administration building between a set of locks so I can often look out a window at a large freighter going by during service calls.

Every year we rent a copier to the local fair grounds for a week.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Most interesting copier location

We had a Canon NP 3825 at a gentlemen's club years ago.

Funny how much service that thing tended to need.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

A local university had a machine just down the hall from where they dissected human cadavers. Other techs refused to go there as the students often left the doors open. It was common to see brains sitting on a table, students dicing up a human arm or leg. The entire hallway smells like formaldehyde, even the water from the fountain.

Armoured car service, armed guards hover over you while in the vault. Very careful while I'm there.

Nuclear testing facility, you get tested for radio activity on your way in and out.
    Kruger national park speed limit is 50km/hour the machines are 100km apart.
    All kinds of mines, hate induction tests and wearing PPE.
    Jip had a strip joint before, wish it was classy, removing stick pompoms from the machine is not fun.
    Hate going to any kind of embassy mostly the kind were a marine needs to follow you every were.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Not a copier but a fax machine. This was in a meat processing plant. I refused to go back there, i just could not take the stench, but the guys who worked there was comfortable. Big bank vault, very interesting indeed to see.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Most interesting copier location

The most interesting place was inside a mountain that used to store nukes.

Back in analog days we had pagers and 10 steps inside the mountain, signal lost.

Had to walk about 200 yards to where machine was.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Forgot about one in a hospital emergency room, right in the room. I'd be working on the copier as they were wheeling patients in. I was there back years ago during SARS. I had to wear the full gown and mask, while trying to repair it, following their adopted SARS protocool. Most miserable location ever. Most hospitals have the machines in offices, not right in the emergency ward.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Cement pit. When it's dry, dust like cloud, when it rain, you have to go to the car wash everytime you exit the area, cause the sludge if left to get hard, damages the abs wheel sensors. Fantastic view to the pit though, but not like going there.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Nuclear testing facility, you get tested for radio activity on your way in and out.
    Hate going to any kind of embassy mostly the kind were a marine needs to follow you every were.
    That's what prisons are like. Have a guard following you around the whole time, until you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    Forgot about one in a hospital emergency room, right in the room. I'd be working on the copier as they were wheeling patients in. I was there back years ago during SARS. I had to wear the full gown and mask, while trying to repair it, following their adopted SARS protocool. Most miserable location ever. Most hospitals have the machines in offices, not right in the emergency ward.
    We have a machine at the nurses desk in the local ER. I've heard some unfun things.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts George J's Avatar

I remember a couple of places that stood out.

One was an aeroplane parts manufacturer. Which meant really massive hangers where huge bits of wings (or whatever they had to make there) would be. I remember even feeling a bit woozy when I walked into an empty hanger. I guess my brain could not handle the fact that I saw a massive 'outdoor sized' space indoors. And because it was for aeroplane industry every bit and bolt had a huge stack of papers next to detailing every quality test and manufacturing spec in triplicate. So they had a lot of a machines and a lot of clicks.

Another interesting one was a decommissioned underground military base that consisted of hundreds of barracks to protect soldiers from a nuclear war. Now the base was sold and converted to business units, each former barrack housed a small start up or internet firm.
    The only problem was finding the right customer there. Imagine really long underground hallways, all with concrete walls and identical metal doors and hardly a sign in sight. If you were lucky the company had a business card sized logo stuck on their door otherwise you had to go by the even smaller numbers written on the doors. To keep a long story short, you could easily get lost there and it was impossible to call somebody since there was no reception in what was literally a nuclear bunker.