Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question company i work for sold to Dex

what should my fellow techs and i expect?
    I tried looking around online didn't find anything usefull, i've never gone through a merger, have any of you or with them?
    Notatechie - "I am trying, but I don't know how to go into Service Mode. If I just go in and press *then 2, than 8, then * it does not do anything."
    SCREWTAPE - "Try harder.."

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: company i work for sold to Dex

Sorry I can't help. My fellow techs and I wait for the day the boss sells us to the competitor, they take our customer base and fire all of us.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    company i work for sold to Dex

Quote Originally Posted by Dalamar View Post
    what should my fellow techs and i expect?
    I tried looking around online didn't find anything usefull, i've never gone through a merger, have any of you or with them?
    Dex Imaging was started in 2002 by the very same guy who founded Danka Imaging, Dan Doyle. Him and his son (Dan Doyle Jr.) own the company. There's all sorts of info out there, just google it. Here's a good read: How Dan Doyle Jr. leads a business model at Dex Imaging that puts profits toward people - Smart Business Magazine

I happen to know a few Dex techs and they are very happy with their job and get bonuses, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Btw, I've been through a couple of mergers. It's no big deal, just keep doing what you do.
    Last edited by mx6turbo89; 10-18-2016 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

At Konica class in Chicago there are always a ton of ex-Danka (DEX) guys. I hear nothing but good things. Including profit sharing. Tech said he gets multi-thousand dollar checks for doing absolutely nothing.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re :Profit sharing.
    If ever my business interest become that big, I would like to set up an employee profit sharing agreement. It is extremely important for that local money stay in the local community for growth. Put simply, no money circulating in the locally area; then no growth locally. By sharing my business profit with my own employees I would be keeping local money circulating, which means local people can afford for me to fix their machines. Image a developed community where only 10 silver coins are circulating at any one time? How poor an unemployed would that community be? How would anyone pay for anything?

One of my previous employers had a problem with the above concept. He was happy to pay 100's of thousand of dollars to the taxation every year , which Gov't spends on the larger cities.

I said to him "why do you keep your employees on the minimum wage and then throw all that money away every year to taxation? Why not give it back to the people who helped you make it in the first place?"
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re :Profit sharing.
    If ever my business interest become that big, I would like to set up an employee profit sharing agreement. It is extremely important for that local money stay in the local community for growth. Put simply, no money circulating in the locally area; then no growth locally. By sharing my business profit with my own employees I would be keeping local money circulating, which means local people can afford for me to fix their machines. Image a developed community where only 10 silver coins are circulating at any one time? How poor an unemployed would that community be? How would anyone pay for anything?

One of my previous employers had a problem with the above concept. He was happy to pay 100's of thousand of dollars to the taxation every year , which Gov't spends on the larger cities.

I said to him "why do you keep your employees on the minimum wage and then throw all that money away every year to taxation? Why not give it back to the people who helped you make it in the first place?"
    He must have been one of those spend $5 to save a dime kind of people.

Been through one "Merger"... I thought things were going well, until they had enough techs trained on Canon devices....suddenly my services were "no longer required". Some of the people I used to work with are still there though.... I guess my salary requirements didn't fit in their budget?

Not all mergers are a bad thing though...best advice is definitely keep doing what you're doing, and let things play out.

The majority shareholder in my company is on the far side of 70 and has to retire one day. When he does there's no one here that can afford to buy out his share so we expect he'll sell out to one of the real big boys from down south. At that point all us old farts who've been her almost as long as the boss expect to be told that our services are no longer required.
    Hopefully that will coincide with the time I expect to retire and a decent redundancy package will be a welcome top up for the superannuation fund.
    Well, that's the plan, lets see what happens.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The majority shareholder in my company is on the far side of 70 and has to retire one day. When he does there's no one here that can afford to buy out his share so we expect he'll sell out to one of the real big boys from down south. At that point all us old farts who've been her almost as long as the boss expect to be told that our services are no longer required.
    Hopefully that will coincide with the time I expect to retire and a decent redundancy package will be a welcome top up for the superannuation fund.
    Well, that's the plan, lets see what happens.

Shhhh. In the same boat as above. My regrets about this job is no retirement package, no benefits. Mergers are a period of stress, as no one knows what is really taking place, and lots of rumors of what may be taking place. Especially who they are going to keep and if you are in or out. It is sure better than bankruptcy. been through one of those and they just come in and tell you leave, just take your lunch bag. Nothing much you can do bro, but wait it out and see how it goes.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

When I was about 30 I was working for a company with a nation-wide tech base (I'd been working there 2 years). After a merger, the guy in the territory next to mine got cut. I talked to him a few times. He was 55. He had been doing this job for 20 + years, and our company was really the only company who worked on this equipment. The boss called me and asked how my conversation with him went.

I layed on the guilt like you wouldn't believe. I mean, this guy really didn't have any transferable skills... he was up the creek and I let my boss know it.

Two weeks later they hired him back. A week after that they let me go.

No good deed goes unpunished.