Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Is there a mouse in your machine?

Having seen a couple of mouse incidents in the thread "Oh yeah, sure you can repair it yoursekf" I decided that in stead of adding my encounters to that thread I would start a thread dedicated to mice. Please feel free to add any and all that you have encountered.

A number of years ago I had to drive up to Tehachapi to work on a Gestetner 2712. They had been having trouble for awhile with the paper bank not feeding. When I got to the machine's location, I noticed an unusual odor that increased as I approached the copier. When I took the back cover off the paper bank, it became nearly unbearable. That is when I noticed the carcass of a dead mouse caught in the drive belt for the paper feed.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Is there a mouse in your machine?

Yep!....

Hard to work with out em....

Touch pad or screen is blaaak.

Wrecked a few over the years...

(Hang on while I read the rest of your post.....)

Aahhh! that kind'o mouse.......

I've seen a few of those wrecked as well.

The smell usually leads the way to finding them after about a week, ...of complaints.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I've never had one. In the 25 years I've been working on various equipment, I've never had a mouse problem.

I did talk to a guy who found one in a copier with the two ends of the mouse getting caught between the upper and lower fuser lamp contacts. Burnt to a crisp.

Had one go thur the fuser of a Mita 131 years ago. The spots and lines was bake into the upper fuser roller. I was PM a Ricoh 6600 and found a nest made in the bottom paper draw that they never used. Mongo

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think I've got three stories:

1) A Mita DC111 (not "C", it was an early production machine) that sat idle every summer at a Catholic elementary school. When the Sister fired it up at the beginning of the school year there was this smell ... like something cooking. There was momma mouse and three little babbies under the pressure roller, well done.

2) A Canon NP6060n that kept jamming. The mousies were transporting dried corn from a bag in the corner of the room, and stowing it in various places throughout the copier. There was a good cupful in the bottom tray. Three calls like this before they bought a trap.

3) Shadows on a Canon NP3525. The mousies had built a nice home in the lens cover. If you did an enlargement or reduction the mechanics inside stirred up the wee beasties, and they ran around creating random shadows on the images. These were very lively and hard to catch.
    =^..^=

Oops 4) A Brother typewriter. 20 inches away we find an open bowl of Hersheys Kisses. Well the vermin were a bit shy, and rather than munching chocolate treats right in the middle of the desk, they would transport their booty to the typewriter, leaving the aluminum foil wrapping on the controller board. As a bit of dessert, they helped themselves to some of the typewriter's wiring harness.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Encountered 2 mouse machines personally..

1. Old Konica 7075 that customer kept in a room, had no idea why the the touch screen was not working. I go in to see a few mice traps on the floor and find mice droppings inside the mainbody, and open up the control panel to find(the only damage done to the machine) a small ribbon cable chewed through.

2. Drove an hour and a half, all the way to a construction site trailer that had a bizhub C35 that had a drum motor code(probably). With barely any room to work and the loudest obnoxious construction foremen I've ever dealt with, I open the back cover to find most of the wire harnesses chewed up, and droppings laying all over the place. Was glad I didn't have to try to fix it, and never went back there.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Canon CLC 5000 was throwing weird errors pointing to the laser assembly, which on those models was massive and a bit tricky to get to,anyhow I take the top off of the laser assembly and 4 tiny babies start scurrying around inside. startled I stepped back tripping over my tool bag and falling on my arse. they must have been there some time as the was turds and nesting all over the machine they had done a number on several wire harness'. destroyed the machine beyond repair.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Old HP Business Inkjet 2600 many years ago. Was a "free look-see" job because we don't normally handle inkjet printers. Printer wouldn't power on. Plugged it in, sure enough, no power. Started removing covers and eventually came across the power supply around back. Was looking at the wires and noticed a strange looking grey wire that really didn't fit in. I lifted the power supply plastic cover and found Mr. KFM (Kentucy Fried Mouse). I know we didn't fix it. Might have been either I couldn't find the power supply, or, it would have cost to much to replace. I don't remember.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I cannot even fathom how many cash register boards would have been replaced over the years because of mouse defecation over the boards.

The most recent mouse I removed was from a Xerox. The little shitem chewed the bjezzus out of all the bottom tray wiring and nibbled
    random wiring looms throughout the machine. It's luck ran out when someone squashed it between the second tray and the back frame of the machine.

Aaaah...., gotcha......
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Well it doesnt qualify as mouse per se,but i did find mousie turds on a drum of an 1216 four years ago.
    Customer tried to convince me they were rice cereal because he was eating right next to it,ew!
    I don't like the new copier I just bought. It says "put face down" but every time I do it, it blinds my eyes.