Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: What really p!sses me off!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    what REALLY pisses me off:

IT folks that INSIST the problem exists on the machine ( because they NEVER make mistakes ) then when you SHOW them the fact of the INCORRECT driver installed ( .WSD ) they tell you the USER must have changed it.... even tho that option is greyed out to the user. So they remotely install another driver ( .WSD AGAIN )
    so when you ask for control of the PC.... they FREAK and call your boss.
    I would insist that the IT dept give me a permanent "technician" login user name and password into their systems. I would have them change the Technician password on login to something that I know,and then have them change the technician password back to something that they (IT) knows after I leave the building.

I could get access to the server printer drivers on the network, they could monitor the login and out.
    Everyone was happy...

Well nearly every one...

RPMO:
    You still had to translate what you did (heaven and earth) to the control freak in between Office Managers. The Managers that believe all technicians can't communicate effectively when talking to Management. Oh you mean the bean-counting my-way-or-the-highway money-orientated intellectual level orangutans. The air that vibrates out of their Management vocal cords is golden air, and all lower class technicians need written permission to breath that same air.

How do you communicate a technical issue to those who don't understand the basics in the first place?
    And do they (management) really give a rats par-toos what the tech did to fix the actual problem?

Last edited by NeoMatrix; 06-18-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    what REALLY pisses me off:

IT folks that INSIST the problem exists on the machine ( because they NEVER make mistakes ) then when you SHOW them the fact of the INCORRECT driver installed ( .WSD ) they tell you the USER must have changed it.... even tho that option is greyed out to the user. So they remotely install another driver ( .WSD AGAIN )
    so when you ask for control of the PC.... they FREAK and call your boss.
    Oh I ran into a couple IT experts that insisted HP 4 drivers were the correct drivers for any printer connected to any pc. Even had one knucklehead insist that the hp drivers was correct for a Copystar C300 color copier. He got around the color restriction by actually installing the drivers for the color printing and named it "Color Printer" in the printer selection and left the hp as the default printer for anything else. Never could get the moron to accept that the hp would not print the ledger sized paper and there were driver problems for software written fifteen years after the hp went out of production. We finally started sending our network contractor and billing them for any print failures after I went there with our supervisor and set up a complete network of my laptop/network switch and cabling to print from all trays and in color. Then plugged the machine back into their network and immediately have gibberish print jobs start running off. Until we told the pc to use the "color printer" instead of the default setting. Sadly he may have been the worst of the bunch, but he wasn't the last of them for a few more years.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What really p!sses me off!

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Oh I ran into a couple IT experts that insisted HP 4 drivers were the correct drivers for any printer connected to any pc. Even had one knucklehead insist that the hp drivers was correct for a Copystar C300 color copier. He got around the color restriction by actually installing the drivers for the color printing and named it "Color Printer" in the printer selection and left the hp as the default printer for anything else. Never could get the moron to accept that the hp would not print the ledger sized paper and there were driver problems for software written fifteen years after the hp went out of production. We finally started sending our network contractor and billing them for any print failures after I went there with our supervisor and set up a complete network of my laptop/network switch and cabling to print from all trays and in color. Then plugged the machine back into their network and immediately have gibberish print jobs start running off. Until we told the pc to use the "color printer" instead of the default setting. Sadly he may have been the worst of the bunch, but he wasn't the last of them for a few more years.
    I had an insurance agency as a customer once. The software people said to use only HP 4. We were selling them a 1060 and I had the job of seeing to it that the 1060 would work properly. The biggest problem I encountered was that HP called the bypass tray as tray 1.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I had an insurance agency as a customer once. The software people said to use only HP 4. We were selling them a 1060 and I had the job of seeing to it that the 1060 would work properly. The biggest problem I encountered was that HP called the bypass tray as tray 1.
    Had that a few times to. Even Wkipedia lists the HP4 drivers as ones that will work with any PCL compatible printer. And of course if the desktop is a letter/legal paper sized printer maybe no problems. Except like mentioned before. Some of the newer software is coded so that the older- early 1990's drivers for the HP4 that have not been updated do not work well with each other. Just did a real quick check and there are no included drivers for the HP4 with windows 8. In fact I went to the HP website and the last native drivers for the HP4 is Vista.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What pisses me off today?
    The internet service provider that I quit back in April as they charged way too much for NBN access finally mailed me a final demand for over due payment including late fee. Asked what happened to the final account they happily said they had emailed it to me at the email address I just told them to disconnect. Optus are arseholes.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 07-02-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The internet service provider that I quit back in April as they charged way too much for NBN access finally mailed me a final demand for over due payment including late fee. Asked what happened to the final account they happily said they had emailed it to me at the email service I just told them to disconnect. Optus are arseholes.
    I believe the Aust Gov't is going to give a MAJOR slap to lot of Telco's and ISP's.
    EG.:
    o For their B/S promised customer services.
    o For their B/S NBN services. (IMHO: Which is a step backwards in emergency phone reliability.)

Apple iPhone got a major slap from Aust Gov't over its services. I wonder why...?
    htttp://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-19/apple-to-close-iphone-hacking-loophole-police-government/9870326
    Apple to close iPhone hacking loophole, making life a little harder for police - Science News - ABC News

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The internet service provider that I quit back in April as they charged way too much for NBN access finally mailed me a final demand for over due payment including late fee. Asked what happened to the final account they happily said they had emailed it to me at the email service I just told them to disconnect. Optus are arseholes.
    Re : Email sent to closed account.
    Optus should have emailed the final account to santa@northpole.com.
    Optus could have racked up a decent size late fee by using the above email address.

IMO: It should be "illegal" to force people to use auto account debiting or auto credit card debiting like these and some major companies do.

RMPO:
    Optus tried to force us to use auto-account credit-card debiting, and I told them it was illegal to force us to use a service we did not want nor request. So Optus inturn charged us extra account keeping fees for a paper account sent each month, an also charged us a fee for paying Optus in cash.
    Yes we were charged extra fees for the HONOUR of using our hard earned cash to pay Optus our money...

The extra fee for the honour of paying Optus is --F#$@2 illegal :
    1. Optus is not a Bank, and cannot charge interest on money that was not borrowed in a contractual agreement.
    2. Optus provided nil/none/no addition service for the extra fee of paying them with our own cash money.

The extra fee was a direct additional cost for paying Optus with cash money: --which is illegal.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Really pissing me of are panels where the "New Posts" button is not working since WEEKS........

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Really pissing me of are panels where the "New Posts" button is not working since WEEKS........

Hans
    Have you looked at the suggestions in the thread "secret to seeing new posts" in Site Feedback and Questions. Both the suggestion from ZOOTECH's and mine yield the same result. Try one of them as a workaround then post a "Reply With Quote" as to how it works for you.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Have you looked at the suggestions in the thread "secret to seeing new posts" in Site Feedback and Questions. Both the suggestion from ZOOTECH's and mine yield the same result. Try one of them as a workaround then post a "Reply With Quote" as to how it works for you.
    Nope, I tried that ofcourse before. Same blank page with Firefox 52.9.0. Others I didn't try since I don't use them anyway.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "