Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What really p!sses me off!

Re: What really p!sses me off!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Finally, after 5 years, discovering the secret to being a company technician:
    The Numbers are akin to the sword of Damocles every bloody day, that's why I've capitalized their name. So they don't zap me for disrespecting The Numbers.

Playing "The Numbers game" by remaining paged to a call that has been completed physically, but not logged as "complete" in the mobile device, while repairing another machine that does not have a call on it, using parts that are from strip and salvage (not in inventory) is apparently a no.

"That's a No-Go, Private."

So...
    If I create calls to repair machines without using inventoried parts, my callbacks percentage goes through the upper atmosphere, as do my customer hours (bad thing and good thing, respectively). If I play The Numbers game my customer hours stay around where they're supposed to, but my calls per day count suffers.

The big secret:
    THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE EVERY SEGMENT OF THE NUMBERS OF OUR CORE METRICS BE IN THE RANGE OF "EXCELLENT" OR "OUTSTANDING" AT THE SAME TIME. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. The way the company wants us to work is different from the way our manager (who is an amazingly good person, I've never worked for a better manager) wants us to work, which is itself different from the way the customer expects us to work, which is also vastly different from the way we are able to make ourselves work.

Stress is like pain, it lets you know you're alive.
    Wow, well put my friend, perhaps we work for the same company because I feel the same way.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    But Does It go BooooMM ????????????????????

Ooooooh!!!!!!

Now you've done it.....!

The brain is ticking over with an idea for a fuel air mixture down the tail pipe....

Jet engine afterburners anyone ?

Look out Road Runner, Wyle Coyote is going supersonic....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Ooooooh!!!!!!

Now you've done it.....!

The brain is ticking over with an idea for a fuel air mixture down the tail pipe....

Jet engine afterburners anyone ?

Look out Road Runner, Wyle Coyote is going supersonic....
    With a hefty order of re-fried beans, you'll have a potent fuel/air mixture - how to get it down into the tailpipe is the problem.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It got totalled by a road grader a few years later. I left a vicious baseball sized red paint mark on one of those 8 foot tall tires. I was fine. The road grader did a 540 in our road, which was quite a sight! There were no headlights on this road grader in the pre-dawn. That's my excuse anyway. =^..^=
    Glad you're OK after that! (I imagine that stung like the dickens for a while, though.)
    Um, I hope this isn't problematic, but seeing a road grader do a 540 would be pretty cool, even for the puny ones that are out here.

And that actually brings up something slightly related: If it is foggy (or snowing) during the day, use your freaking headlights! (Low beams, please.) It won't help you see any better, but it will help me see you.
    On a further kind of unrelated note, it is considered courteous (and the law in at least parts of the U.S. I think) to use turn signals when switching lanes on a divided highway. So please do that too.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Glad you're OK after that! (I imagine that stung like the dickens for a while, though.)
    Um, I hope this isn't problematic, but seeing a road grader do a 540 would be pretty cool, even for the puny ones that are out here.

And that actually brings up something slightly related: If it is foggy (or snowing) during the day, use your freaking headlights! (Low beams, please.) It won't help you see any better, but it will help me see you.
    On a further kind of unrelated note, it is considered courteous (and the law in at least parts of the U.S. I think) to use turn signals when switching lanes on a divided highway. So please do that too.
    I got a warning once for driving in the rain during the day without my lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I got a warning once for driving in the rain during the day without my lights on.
    Thank you, CHP. I don't think all states have the same laws, but as Gene mentioned, it's not about you seeing better with lights on, but so others can see you while it's raining or snowing (sorry, can't relate to snow driving here in SoCal.)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Thank you, CHP. I don't think all states have the same laws, but as Gene mentioned, it's not about you seeing better with lights on, but so others can see you while it's raining or snowing (sorry, can't relate to snow driving here in SoCal.)
    Actually BPD. Don't see much snow here either, but used to live up in Tehachapi.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I'm not sure if the law requires headlight usage during rain here in Iowa (I use them then), but that was the law in Illinois for quite a while when I lived there. And good thing too, sometimes it appeared that people there couldn't see even if it was just cloudy.
    I don't know if California gave any warning before that law was enacted, but in Illinois they gave advanced notice a month or two before that law was enforced.

Crap, I suppose I should add something that really pissed me off here to stay in context. So, when I lived in Illinois, one part of my territory was in Peoria. If there was construction to repair streets in town, the local Department of Transportation Prevention would put the first warning sign so close to the construction that there was no time to change lanes to avoid it. GRRR!
    That's how I learned it is normally wise when traffic is slow to follow the longest line of cars, as some of those drivers might know what's up better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post

Crap, I suppose I should add something that really pissed me off here to stay in context. So, when I lived in Illinois, one part of my territory was in Peoria. If there was construction to repair streets in town, the local Department of Transportation Prevention would put the first warning sign so close to the construction that there was no time to change lanes to avoid it. GRRR!
    That's how I learned it is normally wise when traffic is slow to follow the longest line of cars, as some of those drivers might know what's up better than me.
    That is the way it should be, but the a-holes will still want to get as far ahead as they can by filling up the lane that should be merging with the lane you're waiting in.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    That is the way it should be, but the a-holes will still want to get as far ahead as they can by filling up the lane that should be merging with the lane you're waiting in.
    Re : Slow moving lane.
    Just lean out your car window and look ahead for a distance and see if there are a few hundred turn indicators flashing. Its usually a good sign there is a closed lane ahead. Yes you will always get the stuff-you-me-first-bozzo who believes the other lane always moves faster an roars down the fast moving lane to a dead end lane. The same person will then force you off the road to let them into your slow moving/merge lane.

Most times if my vehicles is stopped I will let someone merge in front of me, but if I'm moving then it's wait your turn buddy.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••