Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    What really p!sses me off!

Re: What really p!sses me off!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re : Tail light push switch.
    That is brilliant... I'm going to give you the Macguyer-of-the-week award for innovation.

You can bet I will be doing something similar in the not too distant future.Along with wiring up my electric windows for when the car ignition is turn off. It peeve's me having to turn the ignition on to wind the electric windows up in the vehicle.
    In my youth, the brake light kill switch was to not alert LE that I was braking, and slowing down.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ditto, on the driving and tailgating, that's why I love my 5 speed.... I downshift from 5th to 3rd and watch them panic... lock them up and swerve to avoid me. I figure if they hit me... I just call 1-800-SAL GOODMAN. The customer that comes up to me when I'm working on the copier and tells me " why does this thing jam up so much? The last place I worked, the copier never jammed." or " it's broke again" I just want to reach over and strangle them. Next, the customer who writes down the date of the toner change?.... ahh, the ignorance. Or, the customer who breaks out the jewelry loop to inspect the photo quality of the ten year old copier with over half a million clicks on it with the cheapest paper possible.
    The person that lets the door slam in your face when your a foot or two away.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts nekowaiidesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    ..... drivers that have sound systems that shake the cars around them, and don't give a shit if you don't really care to hear about "ho's" or thugs, or cop killers, idiots that flash there high beams on behind you because you can't move over fast enough for them (go around f***wad, ). I could go on, but you get the jist..Emujo
    Expensive sound systems in cars that sound like utter trash. Don't know how many times someone has told me about their setup and all the speakers and subs they've put in the car etc, but when I hear their music playing it still sounds like it's coming from a tin can just really LOUD, or it's the opposite and you can't even hear the music but you can feel everything within 10m vibrating from the amount of bass output.

It's absolutely fuckin awful. Please please PLEASE if you're going to buy amps and speakers for your car and show them off, make sure it's set up correctly and USE THE GODDAMN EQUALIZER properly!!! Music should SOUND GOOD not just LOUD!

I had to calm myself down and rewrite this a few times. the first draft was all in caps with many naughty words. Just really grates me the wrong way. I think this thread is unhealthy for me.

Being asked to diagnose a printer that, when you call the user to ask what is wrong, your told their IT is here looking at it and has it taken apart.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Finally, after 5 years, discovering the secret to being a company technician:
    The Numbers are akin to the sword of Damocles every bloody day, that's why I've capitalized their name. So they don't zap me for disrespecting The Numbers.

Playing "The Numbers game" by remaining paged to a call that has been completed physically, but not logged as "complete" in the mobile device, while repairing another machine that does not have a call on it, using parts that are from strip and salvage (not in inventory) is apparently a no.

"That's a No-Go, Private."

So...
    If I create calls to repair machines without using inventoried parts, my callbacks percentage goes through the upper atmosphere, as do my customer hours (bad thing and good thing, respectively). If I play The Numbers game my customer hours stay around where they're supposed to, but my calls per day count suffers.

The big secret:
    THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE EVERY SEGMENT OF THE NUMBERS OF OUR CORE METRICS BE IN THE RANGE OF "EXCELLENT" OR "OUTSTANDING" AT THE SAME TIME. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. The way the company wants us to work is different from the way our manager (who is an amazingly good person, I've never worked for a better manager) wants us to work, which is itself different from the way the customer expects us to work, which is also vastly different from the way we are able to make ourselves work.

Stress is like pain, it lets you know you're alive.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Finally, after 5 years, discovering the secret to being a company technician:
    The Numbers are akin to the sword of Damocles every bloody day, that's why I've capitalized their name. So they don't zap me for disrespecting The Numbers.

Playing "The Numbers game" by remaining paged to a call that has been completed physically, but not logged as "complete" in the mobile device, while repairing another machine that does not have a call on it, using parts that are from strip and salvage (not in inventory) is apparently a no.

"That's a No-Go, Private."

So...
    If I create calls to repair machines without using inventoried parts, my callbacks percentage goes through the upper atmosphere, as do my customer hours (bad thing and good thing, respectively). If I play The Numbers game my customer hours stay around where they're supposed to, but my calls per day count suffers.

The big secret:
    THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE EVERY SEGMENT OF THE NUMBERS OF OUR CORE METRICS BE IN THE RANGE OF "EXCELLENT" OR "OUTSTANDING" AT THE SAME TIME. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. The way the company wants us to work is different from the way our manager (who is an amazingly good person, I've never worked for a better manager) wants us to work, which is itself different from the way the customer expects us to work, which is also vastly different from the way we are able to make ourselves work.

Stress is like pain, it lets you know you're alive.
    DAMNED IF YOU DO!....DAMNED IF YOU DON'T!!!

You have a "grasp" of the "bigger picture"....the bean counters don't!.....time to "push the shit uphill" and shine the light on this conundrum!....to the "higher ups"!...if anything, this is a "catch 22" that has been created by corporate and THEY need to be the ones to solve it!...by not doing so, they are being very myopic and discriminatory!....Good Luck!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blsquires View Post
    i travel on the freeway to work everyday at 100km per hour.the only thing that used to worry me were the tailgaters.
    then i found a cure,i went into the auto electricians and got them to fit a push switch linked to my brake lights .now i still do a 100 and watch the tailgaters tyres smoke in my rear view mirror
    Did that a long time ago to my car. Wired a switch to the brake lights on a 73 Pontiac. And when they got close enough I'd flip the switch. As for what I considered close enough. If I can not see their front bumper in my rear view. Worse ones lately are the idiots that get so close that their hood ornaments disappear from the rear view.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Did that a long time ago to my car. Wired a switch to the brake lights on a 73 Pontiac. And when they got close enough I'd flip the switch. As for what I considered close enough. If I can not see their front bumper in my rear view. Worse ones lately are the idiots that get so close that their hood ornaments disappear from the rear view.
    Ah ha... A light bulb moment.

All the latest vehicles coming off the production line have forward looking proximity detection and collision avoidance braking.
    What about the reverse? How about rear collision avoidance by putting the brake lights on when a car is to close to your rear end.... ? Have an automatic system that engages your brake lights to blink four or five times as a warning to back off your rear end.

Ah.... an idea.....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Seat belt retractors that don't.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Seat belt retractors that don't.
    Or seat belt buckles that fail to latch when you are putting them on. I used to give the shoulder harness a good tug when I was putting on a three point seat belt to tighten up the lap belt part, until a buckle didn't latch and I punched myself in the face. Good thing nobody was watching then.