Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

The New-Age Tech

It was mentioned in another thread how a tech couldn't find the open latch on a machine and had to have the customer show him. Of course, we've all been there at one time or another. But it got me to thinking about the old days--before smart phones or Google or even forums where we could communicate.

My dad was an indie tech, who would work on anything. I don't know how he did it. As an indie myself now, I have access to soooo much. He had nothing. As a kid, I remember him digging through those generic manuals they used to make. I can't remember the name of them--they were made of colored paper and they'd have a ton of different machines and all the different error codes. They were often inaccurate, and he'd try calling dealers and/or manufacturers to try and pry information from them (a lot like pulling a tooth out of a croc's mouth.)

To walk into a machine blind, with no backup whatsoever, every day... the guy had BALLZ.

And most of the time, he'd pull it off.

Hats off to you older indie techs.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    The New-Age Tech

Re: The New-Age Tech

Intravia's service guides yep i still have a set god im getting old lol
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

Don't get me started on the youngsters. I make them cry and then they leave. Found one of them i allowed to stick.
    My life is easier if i don't need to chronically go after them to clean up and fix stupid things.

At-least they are trying to make the new generation machines idiot proof. Before someone breaks a nail.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    The New-Age Tech

Those manuals you refer to are most likely Intavias. I will tell a story of my first employer back in 94, I rode along with a tech for the first week. I walked in on Monday the next week and was called into the owners office, I was told I have the job and handed me three shirts with their logo, a tool box and a multi meter. He asked me if I was ready to go on my own, I told him I wasn't sure, he asked me if I was factory trained... my response was, "no".... he handed my an Intravia service book and replied... " you are now,"... he also gave me words of advice 1) never let them see you sweat and act like you know what you are doing 2) learn how to improvise 3) man made it.. so man can fix it and....4) if all else fails here are $10.00 in quarters... some for bridge tolls and parking.... the rest, you use to call me, but tell the customer you're going to call the factory rep and you will get back with them, and find the nearest pay phone. I made a "few" trips to the pay phone in my time. I remember it like it was last week- scared shitless ready to take on the copier world. I have to be honest, the senior techs had a heyday with me for the first couple of weeks in the shop, they had me searching for Oscillating Rectifiers, Corona wire stretchers, etc. I miss those days, but they always had my back and taught me a lot, especially that this was not a baby sitting service, tough military veterans they were. I eventually received some "real" factory training and took many trips across the river to New Jersey, as that company grew and went on to be a large dealer before being bought out by a large corporation.... that eventually was bought out by another large corporation, etc, etc.

To this day, I still will try to take on anything as long as I am able to get a parts and service manual, firmware etc, but I stick to those same guidelines, except no.4, of course. Think about this for one moment if you would, you bring your vehicle in to get serviced, the tech walks up to you and says, " I don't know how to open your hood so I can service your engine. Could you show me how to open it?" I would ask him for the keys, leave and never return.
    Last edited by copiertec; 12-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Remember the RICOH core tech manual?

First time i touched a copier it was an analog RICOH 65 ppm machine. The instruction was to strip it down. Not really knowing what that meant i left no 2 things attached together.
    Imagine the face of the manager when he got back later the day and found his machine neatly packed out on half the workshop floor.

The next 2 days i reassembled it. And to my amazement it worked.
    Whatever

The New-Age Tech

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Remember the RICOH core tech manual?

First time i touched a copier it was an analog RICOH 65 ppm machine. The instruction was to strip it down. Not really knowing what that meant i left no 2 things attached together.
    Imagine the face of the manager when he got back later the day and found his machine neatly packed out on half the workshop floor.

The next 2 days i reassembled it. And to my amazement it worked.
    That feeling of amazement never gets old!.. Been there done that and I'm sure more to come.

In early 90's Mr. Jim Intravia's manuals is the google of copiers....

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

OMG, back in the 90s my trunk was half filled with manuals..Konica, Minolta, Toshiba..One of the 1st things I did when the digital equipment started rolling out was scanning those manuals into PDFs. I think my MPG doubled after throwing those horrible paper weights away. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    The New-Age Tech

I had all the paper manuals sure, but I also assembled what I call the "Mini-Manual". It certainly started out that way, but soon lost the "Mini" aspect.

I began gathering about 10 of the most useful pages of each paper manual I had:
    1) Locations of electrical components
    2) Adjustments
    3) Parts
    4) Notes
    As I worked on more and more machines the Mini-Manual expanded into three 4 inch binders. For the time, it was a Godsend. Anything useful enough to note got scratched in there somewhere, organized by model. It wasn't terribly searchable like a PDF or an Excel spreadsheet, but I had only 10 pages to look through, once I found the right section.

About 15 years ago I switched over to Microsoft Works spreadsheets, then about 12 years ago Excel spreadsheets. They are sooooo much more searchable. And I don't miss the trunkload of manuals one bit.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The New-Age Tech

Started in this field professionally in 1997. Never carried around any paper manuals. No laptop, no Internet (to speak of). Just plain experience, or roll with it.

Still roll with it, but, MUCH more experience, Internet, laptop with manuals, notes, bulletins, etc.

These new "kids" really piss me off. Have one that I've been "training" for almost 3 years!

Like they say.......can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. We're (experienced techs) are hard to come by these days.