Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Tax deduction for work shirts?

This is a question for the USA techs, and might only specifically apply to Konica Minolta techs. The service tech dress code states:

Technicians are required to wear either a blue Oxford shirt with KM logo (short or long sleeve) or a white dress shirt or blouse.
    Now I know if the logo shirt was the only option, the purchase and cleaning of those shirts would be considered an unreimbursed work expense and thus deductible on my federal taxes. But since there is an option of either the logo shirt or a plain white dress shirt, if I choose to go the logo shirt route would that still be the case? Any KM techs here that take this deduction?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Tax deduction for work shirts?

Good question for tax time.

If clothes are only used for work then they are deductible on taxes. Also the dry cleaning cost are deductible.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What you wear to work at the COMPANY is considered a UNIFORM, and is tax deductible!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

If you purchase your own uniform shirts (I'm partial to the French Blue short sleeve, myself, because the same color in long sleeve makes me look Amish) through the company, you have the option of writing off the cost as an expense, preferably in a lump sum on an expense report, but there are techs who expense pocket change for months on end to recover the cost. That's if you want to bother getting reimbursed. Policy dictated to me when I hired on was the first set was bought by the company at no cost to the tech, but the cost of any additional shirts needed would be out-of-pocket.
    Shirt pocket joke, I'm too tired to piece it together.
    46 calls, I'm buried.

If you itemize your tax return you can write off the cost of company shirts there. Personal choice. I think they run about $45 a piece, so it's worth trying to recover your expense if you can.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

46 calls, I'm buried.
    Lucky.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Lucky.
    I've always been told "it's feast or famine out there". I would invite everyone to share at this frickin' banquet of calls I'm staring down, but I'm fairly certain there would be a violation of some contract clause if that were to occur. Sobriety can eat my shorts at this point. And inventory is right around the corner, if I didn't have enough to stress out about already.

Bollocks.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Yeah, I was feasting 7 months ago. Just did my taxes and had to see a visual--a chart--of this terrible down slope. I'm starvin right now. Looking into other things to pick up the business.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post

If you itemize your tax return you can write off the cost of company shirts there. Personal choice. I think they run about $45 a piece, so it's worth trying to recover your expense if you can.
    It's definitely not dollar for dollar. I think reducing your taxable income by a few hundred dollars would be negligible.

Now I am in the (un)lucky position to spend around $14,500 a year on kids daycare. That's when the numbers really start to move.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Unless you're required to wear a specific uniform shirt you probably can't deduct the expense, an 'optional' logo shirt isn't deductible.

If your warehouse staff is required to wear steel toe boots but the company doesn't pay/reimburse for them, they would be deductible (if itemizing)

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    This is a question for the USA techs, and might only specifically apply to Konica Minolta techs. The service tech dress code states:

Now I know if the logo shirt was the only option, the purchase and cleaning of those shirts would be considered an unreimbursed work expense and thus deductible on my federal taxes. But since there is an option of either the logo shirt or a plain white dress shirt, if I choose to go the logo shirt route would that still be the case? Any KM techs here that take this deduction?
    What nutjob decided that was a good dress policy?