Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

New copier returns

1 of our customers is asking if it would be possible to return a new copier if it doesn't meet their needs. And get another machine.

They have not ordered anything yet, I've been suggesting renting a machine so they can see how it will be used.

The machine would be something we would have to order- 25-35 color cpm copier.

Just curious how other companies handle that sort of thing.

I can only think of 1 time we sold a machine and then picked it up in maybe the last 10-15 years. Color copier we had on hand already- problem was connecting it to a MAC for scanning.
    About 2 years later, same customer purchased a different color copier that connected ok.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Re: New copier returns

I would imagine there would be a warranty or exchange time limit in the sales contract, but I would strongly advise thoroughly identifying their specific needs so they don't end up ordering something they don't need or will never use.
    I have discovered AU kits in a few machines where the customer has absolutely no plans on using key cards or fingerprints for machine access.
    If they don't want hole punch, don't sell them a PK. If they only want 25 CPM, don't sell them a production print machine.
    Et cetera.

You'd be amazed at how sneaky some salespeople seem to be, getting customers to buy crap they don't need.
    I think part of their training might involve a course called "Lying isn't lying anymore... now we call it Sales".
    Overpromise and Underdeliver is a common occurrence, because once they get the customer to sign on the line which is dotted, the responsibility to keep the customer happy falls to us lowly Service peons.

Cool points to whoever spots the movie quote and can name it accurately.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Make sure you do the assessment of the volume they will be doing correctly. This could lead to a sale if its a strong company.
    If they have money this could mean business if you take the risk. If its a small company using only one or two machines no way.
    If there is a good couple of machines at the end of there contracts it could be real good to create a relationship.
    Good way to check the strength of a supplier.

Working for guys that don't mind to take a loss leaving enough cash in the accounts to give good insurance sets them above the desperate bunch.
    That is if you are sales rep and owner.
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Make sure you do the assessment of the volume they will be doing correctly. This could lead to a sale if its a strong company.
    If they have money this could mean business if you take the risk. If its a small company using only one or two machines no way.
    If there is a good couple of machines at the end of there contracts it could be real good to create a relationship.
    Good way to check the strength of a supplier.

Working for guys that don't mind to take a loss leaving enough cash in the accounts to give good insurance sets them above the desperate bunch.
    That is if you are sales rep and owner.
    Quite a while back we did tell a customer they needed a larger faster machine. This was way back when Canon PC6 re's were common, but being replaced soon. They bought one and they were going through two to three toners a month. Each toner if I remember correctly did 3-4 k copies each. They just could not understand why they needed to rebuild the fuser every three months. They did not want to hear what they needed only what costs less. They started calling another dealer in town, I knew the guy, and he would tell me every now and then about their complaints about the lousy machine we sold them. Last I heard from them was they went and bought a real "nice inexpensive Canon" replacement from Office Depot. Yeah they bought a PC 720. The one with the plastic fuser sleeve. Fun part was we were the warranty service center in the area for that machine. Have you ever tried to explain to a brick wall that warranty service center means you carry it in to us? Of course they replied with" we bought onsite warranty for 50.00 extra dollars so you have to come out" Sorry read your contract there is an 800 number you call that and they will send someone out. The service call center for the onsite was two states away and their local contractor was a dealer 120 miles away. They got the same explanation from Canon when they called to complain we would not fix their copier under warranty with an "onsite warranty contract"

That was probably the worst example of a customer not buying what they needed. There were of course others. Like one that wanted a color machine cheap and bought a nice HP inkjet color printer copier. I did try to explain to them a toner based copier would cost less in the long run. But their response was "All you want is the commission for a expensive copier" we want something affordable. Of course they also complained repeatedly that there must be something wrong because the ink runs out so fast. Then I actually showed them on a flyer for their machine that each ink cartridge would last an average of 50-70 pages and would cost 35.00 each for black and 45 for the three color cartridge which was good for 35-50 pages approx.