Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar

Anybody been to Ireland???

The wife wants to go to Ireland next year and i want to know if anybody has been.Where to go or where is a good place to stay.Cork looked like a good scenic place but is there a better place to go.Thanks for any info you can provide.

No ,i have never been there but would love to go one day if i were you will take the wife anywhere accept for the pubs because i hear they can get quite loony there as for the country side i dont think you can go wrong , watch out for the garlic.sorry for not being of much help.

Well from what i have seen from some of the websites and brochures the country sides look amazing.As for the pubs,she may have to drag me away.Doesnt look like anybody has been or is from there on this site.Just thought that as many different nationalities were here somebody had to be from there or know something.
    Thanks for the warning...but i happen to love garlic!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I've been to Dublin and Belfast "Northern Ireland" and loved both trips. I only saw Dublin for the Southern Ireland trip, being a Guinness and Jameson's fan, I loved it Belfast was good as well, and saw a bit of the Countryside. Was fantastic. I'd suggest a Holiday there,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (Oc'ed to 3GHz - Stock Volts)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    4GB (2x 2GB) Corsair XMS Xpert II RAM
    ATi Radeon 4870 512MB GFX Card
    2x 74GB WD Raptor Sata HDD (RAID 0)
    500GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II HDD
    500GB Hitachi Sata II HDD
    600W500att OCZ PSU
    -TOTAL HDD SPACE 1148GB-

Thanks for the input Snacks...i will look into the Northern part of it also.CHEERS

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    I was in Ireland for my honeymoon this past fall. With the pathetic exchange rate, Eire (Ireland proper) is a better choice than Northern Ireland, which uses the Pound Sterling.
    We stayed out to the west towards the Cliffs of Mohr and the scenery along the ocean is beautiful. The town was called Doolin. We also spent some time in the nearby areas of Lisdoonvarna, Ennis, Ennistimmon and Ballyvaughn.
    The only thing to look out for is the 'roads'. Calling them even country roads doesn't do them justice.
    Anywhere you end up though you'll have a great time. We loved every minute of it: rain and wind or sun and blue skies, all of it was great...

Thanks for your reply rthonpm.And congats on your nuptials.Sounds as if you had a wonderful time and that is exactly what i am looking for.Thanks for the heads up on the exchange rate as i have been looking into that as well and wasnt sure which monetary system was used.
    Thanks to all that replied as you have made my future trip a sucess i am sure.Will post my opinion when i get back, as to when i am going is still up in the air, but will let all know how it went.

Hey Kopy,
    As you can probably tell from the name I am born and breed here.
    Just found your question through a different tread... Glad to see all the positive comments Thanks Guys..
    If I was asked to summerise in one word that would be Expensive.. typical b+b in hotel starts at about 80euro per room and may not include breakfast although standards do tend to be on the good side petrol is around 1 E per litre and a pint about 4euro50 cent... but watch this space we have just entered a major depression with income levies and large tax incresses expected .. it is impossible to say what impact this will have on the cost of living but i suspect it may favour the visitor...
    Major cities are now more cosmopolitan than Irish with huge influx of eastern european workers during the good years, so much so that one of our big newspapers comes out half in polish,,
    The west coast is def. the place to visit cork,kinsale,ennis,galway mayo etc...
    Hope you do come and enjoy our little island and that our polititions havent ruined it or sold it to the arabs or something equally stupid (there a real bunch of idiots )
    Must recommend northern Ireland as well for a visit although caution would be advised when discussing politics in the pub
    I will check back later to ans any questions .. Regards
    Garlic??????? is that not France

I appreciate all the input i can get.Since i put that post up all hell has broken loose with the economy and travel looks like it will take a backseat for awhile.Not giving up hope,just putting the trip on a back burner till we turn the corner.
    As for the garlic,Rudi says to watch out for it.
    Thanks for your input Irish.I try not to talk politics as i have found it gets people riled up in a heatbeat.
    Cork and Galway are two of the places i really would like to see.Cant wait for the price of travel to decline.Will let you know when i have my reservations and travel plans.
    Thanks to all again for your input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    Now's a good time to go...no offence intended!