Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Why call in right away??

Why call in right away??

Service call on a KM box.... This is a DIRECT quote from the customer!!

"It's making a grinding noise. It's been doing it off and on for about a week now...but it's getting louder, so we'd like to have it looked at."

REALLY??? It's making noise, and you decide to wait a WEEK to call it in? Why not 2 weeks??....why not a month??

*HeadDesk*

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Re: Why call in right away??

That can be frustrating as they wait and wait, then call at the worst time. I also love the customers who call in for service for one issue, then dump 4 or 5 issues at once when it's obviously been having issues for months, then are critical about the machine. One thing about this job, you meet and see all kinds.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

The other one is the customer with multiple machines, very closely related to what roho just mentioned.

They call for one machine, but when you get there, they ask you to look at 4 more.

Forget the fact that you've already committed to another customer to be there at a certain time.

Don't get me wrong, we certainly appreciate the business, but we plan our day around how long we reasonably expect calls to take.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

worker drone 250+ Posts

In stark contrast to those that call for every problem. You get there and machine is working great. You ask and the reply is "I haven't had any problems with it but someone said that Mary had a misfeed this morning...I haven't had time to look at it so we called you". How many times have you heard that one? Makes me appreciate the procrastinators at least a little bit.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    In stark contrast to those that call for every problem. You get there and machine is working great. You ask and the reply is "I haven't had any problems with it but someone said that Mary had a misfeed this morning...I haven't had time to look at it so we called you". How many times have you heard that one? Makes me appreciate the procrastinators at least a little bit.
    Translation: "We're paying you guys through the nose for service on this thing. The least you can do is show us a little love from time to time".
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

About 2 months after a new contract install, I went around to check all the machines. At one location I ask if everything was working OK>

Yes, everything but that top part.

You mean this i ask pointing to the ADF.

Yes it doesn't work at all. Never has.

I check and it was never plugged into the copier. I told him he had a full ride contract and should have called. He replied that he didn't want to be a bother.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    The other one is the customer with multiple machines, very closely related to what roho just mentioned.

They call for one machine, but when you get there, they ask you to look at 4 more.

Forget the fact that you've already committed to another customer to be there at a certain time.

Don't get me wrong, we certainly appreciate the business, but we plan our day around how long we reasonably expect calls to take.
    I flat out say no, I won't be able to look at the other machines, today. I already made commitments to other customers that I have to keep. I'd be happy to make time tomorrow or the next day to take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Why call in right away??

Wait until 2 pm on the Thursday before Easter then call in and claim that its life or death if you cant make a copy by 5 pm. Do not be put off by claims from Service Controllers that the tech has been stuck in Easter traffic for the last hour and wont get there until Tuesday.

When tech makes superhuman effort and breaks several road rules to get to your office by 4.30 pm tell him that he'll can't do the job today as your leaving early to enjoy a four day break.

Ring up on Tuesday to complain about techs attitude.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Why call in right away??

We have a handful of customers we know we will spend most of the day over there even if they call just to replace the cleaning web.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Wait until 2 pm on the Thursday before Easter then call in and claim that its life or death if you cant make a copy by 5 pm. Do not be put off by claims from Service Controllers that the tech has been stuck in Easter traffic for the last hour and wont get there until Tuesday.

When tech makes superhuman effort and breaks several road rules to get to your office by 4.30 pm tell him that he'll can't do the job today as your leaving early to enjoy a four day break.

Ring up on Tuesday to complain about techs attitude.
    Had one customer did that like clockwork. Especially if the radio traffic report mentioned an accident on any major roadway to their office. Especially on friday at 3:30. Best was when they would wait until the toner on a color printer ran out completely. Ignoring the meter on the front of the machine that also had a blinking light to let you know the toner level was less than 15 percent. Oh yeah they were about twenty five miles away. And under good driving conditions were forty five minutes travel time. The real corker in the mess was we deliberately put sticker on the box with the "call for replacement toner when installed in machine" Nope they never did. So glad when they finally bought a cheap as hell color printer from the big box store and had to he get their own supplies.