Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving Tired!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Driving Tired!

{Warning long rant ahead...}

Why I believe normal healthy, rested people get tired from travel.

The EMF Effect :
    Iron binds with oxygen help to carry oxygen around the body and brain.
    While driving, and more so while flying, people suffer from jet lag.
    With any travel the human body is racing through the magnetic field of the earth at speed. The iron in your body is micro-vibrating from racing through the earths magnetic field,and therefore not binding iron-oxygen to carry sufficent supplies of oxygen around the body.Obviously, a lack of sufficient oxygen will make any person tire very quickly. Is this non-binding iron-oxygen effect the real cause of jet-lag ?

I've noticed a similar jet lag effect from people working long hours, then drive long hours along side high power electrical lines. I believe the magnetic field of the high tension lines micro-vibrates their body iron-oxygen, while possibly further generating localised static/electricity build up in plastics/metals of the moving vehicle. The affect of that is, that those people driving begin to feel jet lagged. Those same jet lag tired people begin to fall asleep at the wheel, and some with fatal consequences. There have be numerous people involved in fatal single vehicle accidences here in our location in CQ.

The common factor I've noticed is that they are driving along the road next to HV electrical power lines.Add in additional factors like vehicle plastic/vinyles static electricity, EMF pollution from FM Radio, mobile phone towers forcing who knows what chemical changes through a persons body water while they drive.

Static HV and fatigue:
    Other factors to concider include static electricity build up in all the plastics and vinyles of new vehicles. In my youth I had a relative that would purchase a new vehicle every 12-18 months. On short journies out of town my childhood cousins would always complain of feeling tired and become car sick with vomiting soon after. By chance the uncle explained the childrens car sickness problem to an associate. The associate instructed my uncle to remove the static electricity from the vehicle by placing a grounding static strap from the metal frame of the vehicle down to the ground. As the car travelled along, the static strap would randomly touch the ground and remove HV static charge off the car. My very sceptical Uncle purchased a static strap and placed it on the vehicle. To his surprise, and in his own words, the children never got tired or car sick ever again.

The above observations are just that. I have no information that correlates to any real findings.

If people are normal and don't suffer from any health issues, have normal sleeping patterns,then there is no reason for people to fall asleep at the wheel. One reason for getting abnormally tired, your blood iron levels might be low, or maybe the vehicle is brand new causing HV static build up in the vehicle. I don't rightly know.

Things I've done to help drive long hours (mainly at night):
    I've place a proper commerical grade static strap on my vehicle, to remove HV static off the vehicle and passengers. Where possible reduced all external an internal cabin light glare. I've done this by reducing all the lights from the dash board down to almost off. Redirect reversing mirrors off kilter just a tad so that rear traffic headlights do not cause glare an eye strain. I've noticed if my head becomes warm (from the internal heater) that I soon become tired. If my head starts to warm, I wind the window down just a fraction, to keep the top of my head cool. I drink a cold drink like Coca Cola, with small amounts of caffine. I've also heard that chewing on ice cubes can do the same to keep the blood in your head cool, and help with fatigue while making the long haul.
    Now I'm older so I offen take a break with a wee-stop,have a cup of coffee and something to eat.

In my younger years one of my worst cases of fatal fatigue came after I did a straight through 48 hour shift in two vehicles.I became so lost in fatigue that I stopped the vehicle at 1-2am in the morning, got out, and jogged up the road for 5 mins, and then return back to the vehicle to finish the remaining 3 of 10 hour drive.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 05-03-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Driving Tired!

Time for the 'tin foil' hat, my friend.
    You may need some rest/vacation.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Time for the 'tin foil' hat, my friend.
    You may need some rest/vacation.

Just got back from a break...

Feeling top of the world....

The Tin foil hat is interesting...

Been getting random emails saying some of my email accounts have attempted accessed while I was on holidays miles away.

Tin foil hat or not.....

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

try rubbing your ears

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

There's just no substitute for sleep.

I do pretty long drives. I'm usually fine in the mornings... even with 4 hours of sleep. But on the way home, I get hit with serious sleepy. I usually find a parking lot and take a 10 - 20 minute nap.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Was that a "nap" or "app"?
    Both, actually.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Driving Tired!

I try not to eat before or while driving on long trips. I get tired about 20 mins after eating. Something to do with glucose spikes, etc.

Since I'm self employed it is harder to pull over and take a nap. It was much easier to take a nap when working for a company

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Driving Tired!

Fell asleep twice while driving. Got lucky both of the times. Scared shitless both of the times. Not worth it. Now when I feel like falling asleep, I stop and take a 15-20 minute nap.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

I've spoken to high school teachers in education who inform me that their students monitor www.copytechnet.com.

Fatal Fatigue comes with a real warning:
    I'd like to share an anecdote that leaves a severe stern warning to those mucho people who believe they can soldier-on through their on going driving fatigue.You "WILL", with out a doubt, start to hallucinate if driving tired for extended long hours.

My first experience with fatal driver fatigue, came while I was in my prime peak physical sporting fitness. I can honestly say that I had no caffeine, drugs or alcohol or stimulants of any kind while driving the extended hours. My first an only tired hallucination I experienced while driving happened after being awake for a continuous 48 plus hours of work and continuous driving. Looking forward to a welcome vacation, I did two consecutive 12 hour work shifts then hopped in the vehicle and proceeded to drive toward the coast 1000km away.

The hallucination happened in early daylight during the second early morning of the remaining 1 hr of the 10 hour drive. The hallucination began when a power pole suddenly appeared random in the middle of the roadway. The imaginary power pole displayed perfectly conscious visual images, like it had been placed in the middle of the road. I felt fully coherent and fully awake, but the bazzar visual observation made for a stark reminder of, what was by then, 45 plus hours of continuous sleep deprivation and driving.

My first instinctive reaction to the random hallucination was to swerve around the imaginary pole,giving me only a matter of seconds to make a driver choice. Luckily my natural intuition over ruled my reactive instinct, an I saved the vehicle from a pending fatal incident. It may have been a very different situation if I had hallucinated another vehicle heading on my side of the road.

Driving tired for extended hours with out any sleep will cause major errors of judgement, no question in my mind. Worst case, your eyes will be fully open, your cognitive awareness will suddenly glitch off-on for a split second ,you feel fully awake, along with what I could only describe as a camera-motion-frame-visionary-effect. You are aware of the sudden abnormal vision conscious glitch in seconds of time, and you're fully awake.

In concluding, a person does not have to physically nod off or fall sleep to have a fatigue related driving incident. Fatal driver fatigue is very real and can happen to any fit healthy person, if you've been deprived of sleep long enough.

I've had some other driver fatigue related incidences both as a driver and as a passenger. I've had a similar experience of bouncing along sound asleep in the table drain off the side of the road. Do not try and push the tired driver issue beyond your own capabilities. Insist on taking over the driver seat if the current drive has become tired and distance in conversation.

Fatal Driving Fatigue Signs :
    Your first physical yawn is the first sign of fatigue, your eyes will then feel heavy, your head will repeatedly nod forward,you will finally blank out. If you're lucky, you might wake in one piece with an ambulance officer holding your hand. Your first unconscious head nod forward while driving, is your first nod in agreement to the grim reaper.

...learning the fatigue signs could save a life.

For the young Tech's out there doing extended driving hours, learn from the older guy's, you will still be around in the following years to tell about it. DO NOT try soldiering on through your on going driver fatigue, many people have failed.

The above are very real experiences in the hope that it saves someone or their family unnecessary pain.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 05-03-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Lately, when I pull over for a nap, I jolt myself awake, very suddenly, thinking I've fallen asleep at the wheel. Talk about being instantly scared awake.