Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supposed Technicans in the forums

More recently techs I know will call me and we'll have conversations like this:

Bill: I see you wrote a forum post on that jamming problem.
    Me: uh huh.
    Bill: So what do you think?
    Me: What do I think about what?
    Bill: ... about that forum post.
    Me: um, I think that you should read the rest of it, and do whatever it suggests.
    Bill: Is that all?
    Me: No. You don't have to ask me the next time. Just go ahead and read the post.

=^..^=

If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Post Thanks / Like

These kinds of things never really bothered me. I guess if there's a specific user or coworker who repeatedly does this and then won't accept answers, yeah, that could get irritating. I'm kind of reminded of my old man. He taught me everything I know about being a tech, but over the years, he just kind of lost his edge. In his last few years in the field, he would call me while on his way out to a customer and ask me what I thought, based on the customer's description of the problem. Then call me again, when he was standing in front of the machine. Then sometimes a third and fourth call. He had all the same tools that were available to me, but somehow got it in his brain that calling me was his first line of defense. I just rolled with it, and that's probably what gave me so much patience when dealing with other techs. Even lazy and/or incompetent technicians.

Just to clarify, so it doesn't seem like I'm dissing my dad, he taught me EVERYTHING. He went out to work on machines he had no training for, long before the days of the internet, most of the time without a manual and without someone to call for help. He's figured out things that I could never have figured out. It was just in the last few years, when copiers became printers, that he needed someone to hold his hand.

Anyway, I pretty much stick to the HP forums, so I don't really have a handle on how many posts there are. In the few posts where this is an issue, I figure it's more of a waste of my time to gripe about it than to just ask for the needed information... or just don't answer the question.

But in a very busy forum, I can see where this is a major headache. I often visit popular software forums to get help with coding issues in websites. I search for a specific problem I'm having in the archives, and see the exact same question asked 500 times. Usually, only one of the them is actually answered. Now, because so many people have asked before searching, you have to sift through hundreds of threads to find the one that has the answer to it. And over and over again, the people who provide the answers, remind these morons to search first, and also to provide more information when posting. In a very large forum, this can be a serious headache. Not so much here... unless you keep up on all the various brands. Again, I'm only active in the small printers and fax section.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Frimwar fixes everything, right?
    Yeah, meant to spell it "frimware" but auto correct put it back to firmware. Emujo

Field Supervisor 5,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Yeah, meant to spell it "frimware" but auto correct put it back to firmware. Emujo
    You mean that you don't know how to over ride auto correct.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so much here... unless you keep up on all the various brands. Again, I'm only active in the small printers and fax section.[/QUOTE]

yeah my boss expects me to work on everything... and doesn't want to pay for anything ( including my decades of knowledge ) hell he and his wife have been in this industry ALMOST as long as I have.. AND I still have to change out their toners/inks and the will leave a machine jammed up until I return from the field.

But as techs we are inclined to be information oriented and some here in the forums just don't provide the info ( even tho their profile says TECH. I just might be getting a little burned out ... 28 years working on this crap... and it seems unlike me .. some either refuse to retain things or just want someone else to do it for them.

Technician
    Post Thanks / Like

It does seem that the newer generation of people in this industry have little to no desire or common sense to do any actual troubleshooting.
    It's very frustrating and causes me to have a high turnover in technicians I hire. :<

"I'll just pick up my phone and google it and then magic happens which I will credit to my awesomeness as a technician"

which is why I mostly just read things here and don't post.

I have 27 years of experience and you don't get to glean any of it from me unless you are willing to actually do your job and/or learn how to trouble shoot; which I am willing to teach.

I'm used to broken English..anyone remember the analog Minolta manuals?

How about the enable disable mode?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey theengel

I think you are the first person in 30+ yrs in this business I heard of their Dad training them and bringing into this business. That is really cool. Sounds like a great father.

Although some dislike this business so much that they would say your father was crazy for bringing you into this business. Personally I think it is a great "specialized" business that has made me a lot of $$$. I actually have done better than most people I know that have a college degree.

I wish I had a son to leave business to but only have a daughter in college. Copiers is the last thing she would want to do LOL.

Take care

Service Manager 250+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Hey theengel

I think you are the first person in 30+ yrs in this business I heard of their Dad training them and bringing into this business. That is really cool. Sounds like a great father.

Although some dislike this business so much that they would say your father was crazy for bringing you into this business. Personally I think it is a great "specialized" business that has made me a lot of $$$. I actually have done better than most people I know that have a college degree.

I wish I had a son to leave business to but only have a daughter in college. Copiers is the last thing she would want to do LOL.
    Take care
    Yeah my Dad taught me how to build with wood .. everything from Sheds-decks-furniture .. he was also a master stone mason ... he also had 45 patents while working with the " I.tty B.itty M.orons" ( as he liked to call them. Thankfully I got the brains and hands and musical traits from him ( I played everything in concert band/orchestra ) he was much of an auto Mechanic .. another skill I picked up due to necessity. I MS certified up until Win2000 ( gates kept taking my money and the boss at the time didn't want to pay for those certs) so I said what the hell.. I'll go into printer / copier repair... one time I should have listened to my brain.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Frimwar fixes everything, right?
    Damn straight!!!! and Frimwar is the correct spelling!!

These Rant thread reminds me of the former poster AAB1................

Mystic Crystal Revelations

Post Thanks / Like

Good story Phil. I can relate to a lot of that. Back when I was growing up kids didn't sit in front of tv's playing video games. My father got me into building Heathkits. I built over 50 kits including TV's, Ham radio's, stereos, etc. Ahh the smell of burning solder......good memories

We should start a Father's day thread closer to Father's day. Mom's always get all the attention. What about the dad's !!!