Thread: Good old Dad

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Good old Dad

We mentioned in another thread starting a thread about dads.

My own dad has always been a character. We grew up poor, but he always had odd ways of compensating for our lack of 'nice things.' For example, I never had brand name shoes. It seems like a small deal, but I got made fun of a lot for my Kmart shoes. One day my dad brought home 3 giant boxes of brand new Reeboks. He said, "everyone come find yourself a pair of shoes." We literally had to do some serious digging, because they weren't PAIRS of shoes, they were just miscellaneous shoes. I found one pair, but it was two left shoes. I finally settled on a pair that matched, but one was 8 and the other 8 1/2. They were close enough... no one noticed.

There was also the first time I got a belt that actually fit me. I always got my brother's belts. He was fat, I was skinny. So aside from being all worn out, they would wrap around me twice. One day my dad brought home a huge box of leather scraps, along with some leather working tools. He helped us all cut a straight strap out, attach a buckle, and even burn in some decorations with a wood burner iron.

So here's a tribute thread to dads everywhere. Let the stories begin.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Good old Dad

Really?

You guys couldn't come up with one Dad story???

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I'm pretty sure I've posted elsewhere that my first car was a rusted out piece of crap. Well, at first there was a blown connecting rod in the engine too, and my Dad let me borrow his tools and gave me advice on how to fix that. The car still looked like crap, but it was a reliable driver then.
    That car's acceleration wasn't terribly great, but if I was patient enough it would eventually go pretty fast. One time when I was doing that my brothers were riding with me, and my youngest brother ratted me out. Mom started to go ballistic until Dad said "These things happen.". That calmed Mom down, and I became a model driver until I moved out on my own as well.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Good old Dad

I've got the best Dad ever. Other than the late 60's when he was in the military, he was always around and we did things together. Hunting, fishing, hiking canoeing, archery, camping, motorcycle racing ( he bought me my first dirt bike when I was 12). We are both older now and have slowed down a little, me more so than him, he owns a couple of motorcycles and still rides on occasion at 76. Now days we just sit around and shoot the shit about anything and everything that comes to mind. He's bailed me out of a couple of pickles I got myself into over the years with no thought of compensation. He did it because I am his son, and we're also friends. I have been fortunate to have been born to such a good man. Here's to you you Donovan. BEST DAD EVER!
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

My Dad worked for AT&T, except back then it was Southwestern Bell, I learned here recently what the expression, "Jack of all trades, master of none" really means, when I started to tear the side of the house off, to repair termite damage and he was not there, the first time ever I had to under take something like this and he not be there, good thing for me, I learned most of what he taught me, and some TOH vids also helps.
    Dad is now suffering with ALZ or dementia as some folks call it, yes I know its not the same, but the results are pretty much the same.
    Up to a year ago, dad was still cutting his own yard, change the oil in his truck and moms car, just kind of shocking, and saddening to see him now.

I guess the best one is when him and I swapped out and rebuilt a 302 for a 1965 Mercury Comet he had found and bought, had a old worn 351 Windsor engine it it.
    he found a old 302 and we rebuilt that engine and the old comet ran like new.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Really?

You guys couldn't come up with one Dad story???
    Well my dad passed away nearly thirty years ago. Kind of difficult, with all the other things going on now, to think about the most vivid memory. Most vivid to think about are not pleasant since he passed away when he spent two weeks in a coma in the hospital after a fire in his home. Occasionally there is something on tv on the syndicated stations that play stuff from the sixties and seventies. Every now and then I hear in the distance one of his favorite singers. Ray Charles or Marty Robbins. He had a stroke when in his late forties and lived for another 19 years afterward in a very altered state. I do remember after his death reading his record in the Navy during WWII. Found out he received the Navy Cross. And was wounded three times in the Pacific theater. The last battle he was in was Iwo Jima. There he was sent ashore to cook for the troops after a beachhead was established. Not that he ever spoke of what he did during the war. Back then veterans just didn't beat their chest over their exploits. Too many of their friends and shipmates died and telling those stories were too difficult to recall.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

My dad was a graduate of the US Naval Academy and WWII veteran. He was always working or ding projects, except when it came time to go fishing.. He also kept telling me to turn the wrench or screwdriver the other way. Got a real kick out of me becoming a copier guy. He passed away 2 years ago just after memorial day, his mind was still as sharp as ever.