Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Memories flooded back

Today I had to take a long drive to the area where the company I used to work for opened a second office six years back. Driving past all the familiar buildings opened the floodgates of memories of customers. Especially when I entered the hospital where a family member was admitted. Said hospital was a daily stop for me when I was working out of the office in that city. Lots of people walked up and said "Hi how have you been .. Long time no see.." And then when I left to go home went past a lot of other customer office buildings. That one over there where the less than modest secretary liked to bend over when wearing extremely short skirts. The next building where they always had a cold water bottle, soda or if it was winter a nice hot cup of coffee. And then the stop down that street where the customer had a penchant for purchasing the wrong toner cartridge for the HP printers and "they always worked before."

But the best memory was of the customer, a doctor's office, where the office manager was a "tech" and had a penchant for looking up repairs for a six year old Panasonic copier on the internet. And the dim wit could not understand he was not supposed to do more than remove paper jams. Removing and cleaning feed rolls by him was frowned on. He regularly put them back in in the wrong spots. Adjusting the tension on the doc feed rolls was a no-no. Removing any parts and inspecting was a real bad idea. For example he removed the drum unit and left it sitting on a counter top until we got there because there had to be a scratch on it. No scratch on the drum but on the fuser. And the three hours the drum sat out in the daylight ruined the drum. Finally managed to cancel the contract because of that fiasco. They went with a different company to put a contract on the machine. The buzz in the town was the new company caught him using an electric screw driver to get into the back of the machine because someone on a tech support website said to do that and check to see if the power supply fuse was blown.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Memories flooded back

Re: Memories flooded back

I think most of us senior techs have come across a customer like this; and I have to admit, I've done some crazy attempts to fix a problem that I had no clue how to fix it correctly.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Memories flooded back

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I think most of us senior techs have come across a customer like this; and I have to admit, I've done some crazy attempts to fix a problem that I had no clue how to fix it correctly.
    Oh he really wasn't a tech. The bozo was dangerous with a screw driver in his hands. He was a self taught repairman because he could always fix his wife's toaster, mixer, vcr, whatever he decided in to fix in his house. The doctors didn't care because he convinced them he was saving them money by doing repairs himself. He was also constantly "fixing" the computers. But all that meant was he was running dealer installed software to protect the pc's from him. There had to be more he screwed up earlier and afterwards. He was that kind of person who always thinks they know more than someone actually trained to repair the equipment.