Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts oeshuron's Avatar

Re: MFP/IT Technician.

I could be wrong but I believe it would be easier to teach service/repair to an IT person than teach IT. I could be wrong but I am the IT person and have learned a fair amount of service/repair to where I could do PM's, swap parts, etc.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm thinking MFP tech needs to know how to load print drivers, and trouble shoot some scanning issues. A lot of I.T guys are not putting in the correct drivers.
    If we can prove it is not the machine, we can turn it into an IT call.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MFP/IT Technician.

Well...I require all my techs to complete CompTIA A+ and we work towards Net+ and we pay them the same as entry level IT guys around here get anyway.

Most IT guys I have ever had working for or with me, did not stay long/had ZERO mechanical skills/had zero desire to turn a screwdriver or get their hands dirty and all thought they could plop their ass in a chair and google will fix the machine for them.

Our service contracts ends where the cat5 begins and while we will do what we can remotely/during the install/over the phone; customers know that IT services is not covered and they will be billed for onsite IT work. Most all of my techs like to tinker with computers at home and that does really add to their value and give them the foundation to learn IT stuff as well as get greasy.

MFP/IT Technician.

So your Boss want IT tossers to become hardware techs? I hope he's prepared for a large increase in his parts bill as IT twats have absolutely no fault finding skills what so ever. Their solution to everything is just to replace entire assemblies with new ones. And as for getting toner under their fingernails...........dream on!!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

MFP/IT Technician.

I'm both. I can do both. I'm billed at different rates for whatever job I'm performing.

I completely setup (ran CAT5e, punched the panel, setup server & PC's) in our original office. Once we moved, we had someone run the cabling and do the punching, but, I still setup the switch, Comcast (first), then Verizon (once they came to the building) and new server. Couple of years ago, I planned and deployed a wireless network in a Library. Consisting of 5 floors. User would come in, push a button on a little thermal printer for the amount of time they wanted and they would receive a code to connect to the wireless network. I'm the system admin for an off contract account we used to have.

I'm also the senior printer technician. I work on multiple models (as long as I feel comfortable), mainly HP though. Secondly, Dell, then Lexmark. I'm certified on all currently active HP printer certifications (no plotters), HP Workstations, Desktops & Laptops and Dell printers. I let my Dell PC certs slip as we don't do much anymore.

I think having an understanding in both fields should be a requirement.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Catch 22..IT trained tech feels turning screwdrivers is below him/her, Copy tech doesn't feel like he/she is paid enough to be an it tech, if you can find a tech that is willing to learn the IT side, do whatever you can to retain them.. Emujo
    We both know that does not work....

Not arguing with the idea or the thought..
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

When machines got computerized something had to change. Internal maintenance guys had to learn computers, or IT guys had to learn mechanics. I guess in the end it was easier to teach IT guys the mechanical side because a lot of maintenance teams just couldn't hack it. But when it comes to companies who actually support the machines (like us), they'll need people who can do both. That kind of sucks for some of the older guys... those who just can't grasp the cyber mentality.

But I think there's plenty of work for those guys to last them until retirement age. I mean, let's face it--most of the problems we run into ARE mechanical. I don't see any reason to force anyone into early retirement. But the new guys coming in, I believe, should have a good handle on both sides of the spectrum.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    MFP/IT Technician.

All of us techs know IT generally aren't quick at getting jobs done and mechanical service can't be done remotely so they would have to get themselves out of their chair and actually go onsite, I don't see that happening lol.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Well I've heard about it happening in rare circumstances, but I have yet to see it with my own two eyes.

MFP/IT Technician.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    When machines got computerized something had to change. Internal maintenance guys had to learn computers, or IT guys had to learn mechanics. I guess in the end it was easier to teach IT guys the mechanical side because a lot of maintenance teams just couldn't hack it. But when it comes to companies who actually support the machines (like us), they'll need people who can do both. That kind of sucks for some of the older guys... those who just can't grasp the cyber mentality.

But I think there's plenty of work for those guys to last them until retirement age. I mean, let's face it--most of the problems we run into ARE mechanical. I don't see any reason to force anyone into early retirement. But the new guys coming in, I believe, should have a good handle on both sides of the spectrum.
    And I'm one of them, an old fashioned hardware tech who has to struggle on for another 3 years and 13 days before I go the same way as typewriter techs.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.