Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hope for our future??...... NAH!!

Nothing gives you chills more than walking into a hardware store and asking the person behind the desk if they have any 3/16" E-Clips... only to have them look at you like you're speaking Mandarin Chinese to them, and asking "Wut's that?"

....So you break out your handy-dandy Smart Phone and Google a PICTURE of an E-Clip to show them. Then you get the, "I'm sorry...those are only available online" response!!

*HeadDesk*

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Hope for our future??...... NAH!!

It's amazing.

"Brick and Mortar" retail stores all complain they have no business, and are struggling to stay afloat, yet they seem to refuse to stock items that would help their cause.

A few years ago, it was time for me to buy a new gas powered weed eater.

I researched on line, and found a very highly rated Hitachi model that would fit my needs nicely.

The list price was something like $219.95.

One of the big "home improvement supermarkets" was listed as a vendor that sold it.

I went there in person (it's fruitless to call those places), to see if they had it in stock, and order it if they didn't.

It took the clerk almost 30 minutes to tell me "We're not sure if we can even get it, but if we can, it will be full retail price, plus shipping, and will take 2-3 weeks.".

Seriously?

I went home, ordered it online from Amazon, got $40 off, free shipping, and I had it in 2 days. I don't even have an account with them, where you can get discounts and free shipping.

So much for "buying locally", and keeping the business close to home.

Sheesh!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

In fairness, a hardware store can't just stock everything available. They have to choose their stock real estate carefully. Which items will sell, and what will sit on the shelf for years? Also--what will bring at least a little bit of profit? To carry eclips, they'd have to designate one area, and buy several sizes. Then, keep them there for who knows how long. Finally, a tech like us walks in, and buys the least amount possible of one specific size. Maybe a profit of 2 or 3 bucks, after storing a bunch of them for more than a year... in a spot that could have shelved a faster moving product. Even if they just kept them in the back, you're taking an empoyee's 20 minutes or so to root through, find it, have you tell him it's the wrong size, route through again, etc. 20 minutes for almost no profit. Online stores have an advantage that just can't be matched. There's not much anyone can do about it.

Take the weed-eater. Most people go to the hardware store to buy a weed-eater... not to buy XX brand and model. To carry all those models would take tons of space, and they'd sell very few of them. And those who do a bunch of research to find a certain one online will usually buy it online as well.

Warehouses don't have to buy store fronts, pay customer service people, etc. If a hardware store is going to turn a profit, they'll only be able to stock fast moving items that bring in money.

The world is changing. Retail is disappearing.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I agree, but if that's the case, they shouldn't be listed as a vendor.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

What get me is the "check stock in a store near you" button on a website. So you find there's a few available and its unlikely to sell out in the half hour it takes you to get there. The assistant says the computer says we have some in stock but they have actually sold out.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.