Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Android/iPad Tablets....

Android/iPad Tablets....

Hey Troops...

Just had to get a replacement tablet (mine vanished somewhere...customer's office perhaps?) and FINALLY transferred all of my files to the additional SD Card. I installed Adobe Reader (Drive PDF Viewer is "Icky"), and every time I click on the File Manager and one of the installed PDF's, I get the error message "this file could not be accessed. check the location or the network and try again". Strangely enough, if I open Adobe Reader FIRST, I can access the files all day long!!

....All the online solutions require you basically HACK the Android Runtime permissions....

"I'd scream...but nobody cares!"

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Android/iPad Tablets....

Re: Android/iPad Tablets....

Have you tried a different file manager? I use solid explorer but it is not free, you could try the once good "ES file manager" also.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Sounds like you're running an older version of Android. Some of the 4.x and 5.x versions were very picky about SD cards. Some file managers, even on newer versions of Android, are still set with those limitations to keep from building out multiple versions of the same application. I've had the issue with Ghost Commander as well on a few Android devices, but there's a few workarounds using it that can generally get me the access I need, even without root permissions.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Android/iPad Tablets....

Running Android 6. File manager shows everything just fine, it's just that the PDF won't open automatically when I click on it...just that stupid "File Could Not Be Accessed" error. I've seen some forums with the "fix" for it, but I'm not going to be hacking my permissions anytime soon!! I'll just take the extra step for the time being of opening Adobe FIRST...then clicking on the file within Reader.

Maybe once the developers put out a fix in the next OS update, I'll stop complaining.....

MAYBE!! 8-)