Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Pacemaker and working on copiers.

Getting old F'N sucks.
    I am concerned about the RFI interference from some high volume machines and color machines.

Main concern is a pair of Bizhub 751s that are making good money and Ricoh color machines.
    If the RFI interferes with the pacemaker signal, my career is over and I am stuck looking for a desk job.

After 30+ years of being a field tech, that would massively suck.
    Any other techs have a pacemaker and still work on many models??????

The doctor says the manufacturer has data on anything that would interfere, but I don't believe they have tested with skins off, or elbows deep in a machine removing a paper jam.

Surgery on the 1st.
    Need any info ASAP so I can plan this out.
    Thanks for any and all input.

Very worried and concerned about this. I would really break my heart if I couldn't do copiers anymore after losing my company 3 years ago.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Pacemaker and working on copiers.

My Dad has a pacemaker, and I can't convince him to stop arc-welding. It hasn't done anything yet. I still wish he'd knock it off.

After research I found they transmit between 402 and 405 MGHZ under FCC rules.

Put in a request for info from manufacturer and planning on buying RF detector.

Well if it works on your brain try wrapping some around your chest.

tinfoil-hat-guy1.jpg

One of our elderly techs has a pacemaker and has a nice cushy job on the Service Control desk. One day the battery started to go flat and due to various reasons it was a month before he could get into day surgery to get it changed. Every 5 min it gave out a warning "beep beep", We looked high and low looking for the pager/phone/gadget that was running down for at least a week before we realised where it was coming from. The standard joke was to look out as Eddie was backing up!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Does a pace maker come with a remote control for walk , jog , run and -- VIVA LA VOOM...?
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Technician

I've had a pacemaker for 26 years (got it when I was 20). Never had a problem working on any machines and I've been working with copiers for 29 years.

Don't know about the Ricohs, but the 751s don't have "radios", all you would read from them is the standard AC noise comparable to a refrigerator. The new BHs however have wireless, NFC, inductive heating, and could have microwaves from installed card readers, but in all my years, I've never heard of an issue. I think you are more in danger cooking up that popcorn in the microwave then from anything the MFP puts out. Emujo

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    My Dad has a pacemaker, and I can't convince him to stop arc-welding. It hasn't done anything yet. I still wish he'd knock it off.
    Likewise my O/M is a construction/fabrication engineer, he did a lot of welding in his day.
    In a conversation one evening I over heard him talk about having arthritis in his elbow.
    He explained how he would wrap the heavy current earth welding lead around his arm 3-4 times while welding.

Magnetic fields attract iron. Iron carries oxygen around the body which assists with healing. Anything is possible...

He still claims to this day he cured his own arthritis...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Yeah, but mine is eighty f@@kin years old. He's not doing it for work. He's one of those people who thinks "If you're sitting, you're being lazy." Hence, he's ALWAYS moving, and constantly finding crap to do that just doesn't need to be done.

Anyway, I'll have to try that. I've got some arthritis in my shoulder that hits me in the cold. I imagine it'll get worse as I get older. Some day when it acts up, I'll wrap the cable around my shoulder and weld a few things to see if it changes. Who would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Yeah, but mine is eighty f@@kin years old. He's not doing it for work. He's one of those people who thinks "If you're sitting, you're being lazy." Hence, he's ALWAYS moving, and constantly finding crap to do that just doesn't need to be done.

Anyway, I'll have to try that. I've got some arthritis in my shoulder that hits me in the cold. I imagine it'll get worse as I get older. Some day when it acts up, I'll wrap the cable around my shoulder and weld a few things to see if it changes. Who would have thought.

Re: Arc welder magnetic coil and Arthritis.
    My o/m didn't fix the elbow arthritis instantly. He wrapped the coil around is elbow a few times a week over a couple of months. In a bazzar coincidence I was watching a medical break through on TV just last night(14-07-17), were they taked about a commercially available magnetic pulse machine that fixes joint pain an arthritis. I made an electronic zapper machine many years ago. I swear it fixes any lower back pain over night. It simply vibrates the muscle and gets the good energy flowing in the muscles again. It doesn't get any simpler than that. I would even go as far as saying it assists with relief of some urinary tract infections.

Re. Your Dad.
    You should be happy that your O/M is doing something, exercising and staying busy.
    Many oldies who retire soon lose direction and purpose for life.
    Those who feel they have no purpose in life usually turn their toes up soon after.

I'd say most people would be happy if their oldies moved to greener pastures
    doing something rather than lay in bed do nothing?
    Within moderation of all activities of course.
    Bungy jumping or skydiving is little extreme on the old ticker.