Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Cheapest customer ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Oh boy yes the onsite warranty customers were a pain. Had quite a few for the Canon Pc line copiers where they insisted that since we were the warranty service center we had to come out and fix it. Finally my boss had a written script to use when talking to them explaining they had to call the 800 number on their paperwork. Of course we then would get a call back because they called the 800 number and were informed a service tech would be dispatched in two to five days. Quite a few times when we refused they would then call Canon to complain about us and they were informed there were "no onsite warranties sold by Canon for that model and there were none that Canon honored period."

The other fun ones were when a customer would actually bring one of the small Canon pc copiers in. First thing I would do if it actually passed paper and made a copy was go grab an OEM toner cartridge and make a copy using that. Then when it passed a good copy I would take their toner put it back In and try to explain we do not warranty any refilled ( unless we sold them, I used to refill rebuild toners) or aftermarket non Canon branded toners. Then the real good stuff started because they couldn't afford the cost of the expensive toner so they bought a reasonable priced one. I would hand them the marked samples and tell them to take or send the toner back to wherever they bought it with the samples and get them to replace it. And then carry the copier back out to their car. had a few that actually change back to OEM.
    Oh the *terrible* memories of those Canon PC "copiers", if they must be called that.

I went to the very first Canon training school (in Chicago) back in '83 or '84, when the PC 10 and PC 20 first came out.

I had a customer who had the on site warranty, for a PC 1. I think he paid $200 for it at the local office supply store.

The crazy thing was dead right out of the box, and there were no blown fuses, open doors, etc...

He insisted that we fix it or bring him a new one.

The boss chuckled when I called him, and sent the guy back to the store with it to get it replaced.

*WIN!*.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Cheapest customer ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Oh the *terrible* memories of those Canon PC "copiers", if they must be called that.

I went to the very first Canon training school (in Chicago) back in '83 or '84, when the PC 10 and PC 20 first came out.

I had a customer who had the on site warranty, for a PC 1. I think he paid $200 for it at the local office supply store.

The crazy thing was dead right out of the box, and there were no blown fuses, open doors, etc...

He insisted that we fix it or bring him a new one.

The boss chuckled when I called him, and sent the guy back to the store with it to get it replaced.

*WIN!*.
    There were a very few times when someone from the store that sold the "onsite warranty" actually called us and wanted to know why we did not work on the machine since we were the warranty repair center. If anything when the store people called about the warranty they were even more dense than customers. One guy insisted the customer did not have to call the actual contract issuer, but they could call us and we had to deal with the company to avoid upsetting the owners of the machines. We got a call from that dimwit three times in a day until I called and spoke to his manager and complained about his repeated calls when he was explicitly told the customers were required to call them or the 800 number not us.