Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter eggs

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Easter eggs

Easter eggs, or treasures you may find that only a tech could appreciate. I had a ticket to pick up some old printers at a customer. The 2 hp 4000's were nothing special, but the LJ4 and LJ4+ were special. Both in perfect working condition, the 4+ has the duplex and Ethernet card and all of the books and quick quides. Machine looks like it was just unboxed. I think I'll keep it at my desk as a personel printer.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Easter eggs

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Easter eggs, or treasures you may find that only a tech could appreciate. I had a ticket to pick up some old printers at a customer. The 2 hp 4000's were nothing special, but the LJ4 and LJ4+ were special. Both in perfect working condition, the 4+ has the duplex and Ethernet card and all of the books and quick quides. Machine looks like it was just unboxed. I think I'll keep it at my desk as a personel printer.

Yup!... trade all the oppositions printers copiers in an use all the good ones as your own personal desktop or workshop printers.
    Or emergency repair loan-out machines until the toner runs out, then bin them.

It's a bit like Sun Tzu for copiers: keep your friends close, your opposition closer....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Easter eggs

i still use my 4+ has over a mil on it

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    i still use my 4+ has over a mil on it

I used to tell the army that it was one of the few printers they could take to the desert and it would still work when they brought it back.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Easter eggs

I used to tell the army that it was one of the few printers they could take to the desert and it would still work when they brought it back.
    well in fact the military had gone to HP with a request for a print to handle those exact conditions.. the came up with the LJ 4 ... a few years later they were approached again for a faster model.. hence the LJ 5

Jip the pickups makes for great office printers, if its not the brand you work on you wont get the itch to strip emergency parts form it.

Some one dropped a BH C360 at our doorstep, probably just to depose of it. It was in the wind and rain under a tree for a year, really looked a mess.
    Switched it on and the test print came out perfect.
    Whatever

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Easter eggs

Lol, one printer that can stand up to a grenade. The old saying "built like a tank. Another reason the military likes them. I still have a large law firm that uses mostly HP 5's. Funny they have several newer models, i.e. P3005, 2420, etc and they are always needing service. The HP 5's run maint kit to maint kit with no issues.

Also most printers from all OEM's still use the basic HP 4 driver language for their drivers. Many times have used the HP 4 driver as a last resort, and most of time it has worked.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Also most printers from all OEM's still use the basic HP 4 driver language for their drivers. Many times have used the HP 4 driver as a last resort, and most of time it has worked.
    Had a new customer a while back. They bought two Copystar 3530's and one of the small desktops mfp from Copystar. They told us when they ordered they had contract IT and all we had to do was set up the three machines and install with the assigned ip addresses. Their offsite expert would set everything up. Well he did. All three were set up to use HP 4 drivers. Might have been a good idea if the the two 3530's did not have ledger sized paper installed to print to. HP 4 have a wee bit of a problem printing occasionally to ledger paper since they only do letter legal. The new desktop also did not like the coding and with certain new (as in written ten years after the hp 4's were off the market) software. Yes their software did not support the older machine. We got three calls in one day because the machines were printing gibberish. I got there and since our contract did not include networking I set up my own laptop with a router and cables and printed just fine with five different graphics and word processing programs to all three machines. Plugged them back into the network and sure enough gibberish with certain programs. Then I ask one of the operators to just bring up the printer folder on the pc. Sure enough right there were none of the Koycera/Copystar drivers just networked hp 4's with the corresponding ip addresses for the three Copystars. They did have the drivers cd's in the supplies drawer. I had to write on the three service tickets ( three different departments ) improper drivers being used. And had the office manager sign that any network printing error service calls not caused by the machines would result in a service call not covered by the service contract. Oh yes the office manager also had her personal laptop set up of course by their IT expert remotely offsite. She had me install the drivers on her laptop and then printed from the problem software using the IT preferred HP 4 drivers and then the copystar drivers. Copystar drivers fine HP$ drivers fifteen pages of one line of gibberish before it could be stopped.

Even after the office manager told their IT contractor that the Copystar drivers printed just fine while immediately after the HP4 drivers were printing gibberish he insisted that there was nothing wrong with the way he had set up the printers. If they did not run with standardized drivers then there was something wrong with the network card or the programming chips on the copier. That had to have been a real good phone session since she said "Excuse me I have to teach the moron his place,. Step outside and wait a few minutes please".

And that was the first but not the last time I ran into people that insisted HP 4 drivers would run any printer, even color ones. They might for basic black and white word processing. But forget about using the drivers for any new not just updated software written and released more than ten years after the printers were discontinued.

I find it hard to believe that you ran into an arrogant IT person who blamed the copier. That would be like me saying the phone company blamed the fax, even though I can't get a dial tone. Simply ridiculous.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I find it hard to believe that you ran into an arrogant IT person who blamed the copier. That would be like me saying the phone company blamed the fax, even though I can't get a dial tone. Simply ridiculous.
    Well there are a few IT people that are or were willing to try something the trained copier tech was suggesting. Even had one once that asked if there were a link to any website that had training videos for setting up the copiers via the network to do the scan to e-mail or scan to folder. He had his own machine to work with when the owner of his outfit liked the sales demo on a CS 5035