Cheapest TECH ever ?

Re: Cheapest TECH ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by 907tec View Post
    Hoodie and Jeans tech, checking in.
    company policy?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    yup had to go behind those types also.. it's not stupidity..or cheapness.. it's pure T lazy. I would rather spend the time PROPERLY rebuilding an assembly than take a chance that it 1) won't work 2) fail in a week or two. And then you have the guys that leaves screws out of a machine because " the engineer didn't need to have all those screws" L A Z Y
    Disagree there--some machines are just overscrewed. Especially when a single screw hides under a layer of 3 covers... just to make things take 3 times as long. Engineers aren't gods... but that's just my opinion. Hell, if they were that good at their jobs, we wouldn't have so many recalls & updates.

Anyway, the cheapest tech I knew was my dad. He really didn't grasp the idea of professionalism, God Bless him. He didn't short change customers, but I'll never forget how embarrassed I got when I first started working with him. I was only 17. He's showing me how to clean the optics in a machine, and he pulls a 'rag' out of his toolbox. You can imagine how red I got as he handed me a pair of my old underwear. When I refused to touch it, he said, "Ok, use this," and handed me a pair of girl's underwear.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Cheapest TECH ever ?

One of our techs just used his soldering iron to weld the broken plastic parts back together and then leave it that way rather then go back with the new part. Like plus 10 for getting the customers machine back up and running ASAP but minus several hundred for leaving it that way. In the end I had to confiscate his soldering iron.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Cheapest TECH ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Disagree there--some machines are just overscrewed. Especially when a single screw hides under a layer of 3 covers... just to make things take 3 times as long. Engineers aren't gods... but that's just my opinion. Hell, if they were that good at their jobs, we wouldn't have so many recalls & updates.

Anyway, the cheapest tech I knew was my dad. He really didn't grasp the idea of professionalism, God Bless him. He didn't short change customers, but I'll never forget how embarrassed I got when I first started working with him. I was only 17. He's showing me how to clean the optics in a machine, and he pulls a 'rag' out of his toolbox. You can imagine how red I got as he handed me a pair of my old underwear. When I refused to touch it, he said, "Ok, use this," and handed me a pair of girl's underwear.
    Goin for the gusto here. That underwear deal is pretty screwed up. XD

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    One of our techs just used his soldering iron to weld the broken plastic parts back together and leave it that way rather then go back with the new part. Like plus 10 for getting the customers machine back up and running ASAP but minus several hundred for leaving it that way. In the end I had to confiscate his soldering iron.
    I've plastic weld a few parts back togther to get a customers machine going.
    I or another Tech usually go back with the proper parts though.

Unless the customers Head Office policy incorporates the
    TightasAfishes with machine maintenance policy.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 07-27-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet2501 View Post
    Goin for the gusto here. That underwear deal is pretty screwed up. XD
    Re: Youthful exuberance.
    I was going to add a comment about the latter underwear topic and holding them in his teeth while working.
    But, it may have been something in discussion about recycled family apparel....

The youthful years, if only we could have known back then what we know now.....

All in fun ...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I don't use wd-40. As far as recycling used parts, there is nothing wrong with it as long as you are sure the parts are good. My warehouse is full of machines that will be sold for scrap if they are not moved in a couple of years. If a bizhub fuser usually last me between 300,000 and 400,000, I have no problem pulling one from a machine that has 50 or 60,000 on it and reusing it. To not do this is costing my company money. Throwing out good parts that could have been used is wasteful. We have sent machines to the scrap yard with less than 30,000 on it. Part of my job is to keep cost down. I also work for a small company. If I put a bad used part on, it will be my ass doing the repeat call to fix it so I am careful as to what I select. It is not an easy task to keep cost down while watching numbers like repeat calls. With paying customers, they often need to save money on used parts as I sell them for a lot less. I am honest and tell them what they are getting and the odds of it going bad. I have seen us sell a new machine to someone a month or so after getting new $300 drums. You bet your ass I am going to reuse those. The measure of my success aside from the end of year numbers are customers that are happy, or at least not complaining. It is a balancing act.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Cheapest TECH ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Disagree there--some machines are just overscrewed. Especially when a single screw hides under a layer of 3 covers... just to make things take 3 times as long.
    Sounds like you are describing every Konica Minolta ever made. I never understood why they make it so difficult to just remove covers. You go to remove the cover you need off and realise it has a tab that slides under the adjacent cover and so does that cover, and so on, until you have had to remover every cover.
    I'm not lazy, but that is just unnecessary.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Cheapest TECH ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    One of our techs just used his soldering iron to weld the broken plastic parts back together and then leave it that way rather then go back with the new part. Like plus 10 for getting the customers machine back up and running ASAP but minus several hundred for leaving it that way. In the end I had to confiscate his soldering iron.

when I do something like the "soldering gun" fix.. I always inform the customer what I did to get them back up and running.. but also inform them I will have to get a new part and replace it.