Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Generational differences

I'm in my mid 50s, and when I think back about my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents (I was born early enough to actually remember them unlike my brothers) I don't think of them, or the majority of the people in their time frame as morons, or haters, lazy, etc. I know they had ideas that turned out to be wrong but they supported their family, community and country. I honestly thought my parents were pretty stupid, but around my 1st job I quickly re assessed that opinion. What is it about the last few generations that have turned them against us so much? Our opinions are meaningless to them, our work ethics have not been ingrained in them. How can a young man in his mid 20s be OK with no job, and continue to suckle off the teat of his parents and demand everything be given to him. Why is it that because you were born I am responsible for you until I die? I just cannot wrap my head around this...Emujo

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    I'm in my mid 50s, and when I think back about my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents (I was born early enough to actually remember them unlike my brothers) I don't think of them, or the majority of the people in their time frame as morons, or haters, lazy, etc. I know they had ideas that turned out to be wrong but they supported their family, community and country. I honestly thought my parents were pretty stupid, but around my 1st job I quickly re assessed that opinion. What is it about the last few generations that have turned them against us so much? Our opinions are meaningless to them, our work ethics have not been ingrained in them. How can a young man in his mid 20s be OK with no job, and continue to suckle off the teat of his parents and demand everything be given to him. Why is it that because you were born I am responsible for you until I die? I just cannot wrap my head around this...Emujo
    Just take a look at a lot of the headlines about colleges. The poor little snowflakes that needed a safe space to recover in because someone actually used chalk to write a pro Trump campaign slogan on some sidewalks. Or the college flakes traumatized because a campus republican club dared to put their newspapers on sale on campus right there next to sidewalks where everyone could actually read the headlines.

Schools today are not teaching anything of value. They are all becoming indoctrination centers that glorify the left and demonize anyone that dares disagree with them. Look at how they rioted over a conservative speaker invited to speak in Berkley. In fact right now part of the mantra is if you actually say "work hard and you will succeed" is now a micro aggression racist statement.

And remember the new teachers being hired to teach in public schools, especially junior and senior high, over the last ten years have come from the very environment that college campuses have become.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

I don't know if this fits the theme, but I want to comment on current ideas of comedy. Sure, there have always been insult comics, but sitcoms have become a half hour long string of insulting profanity. Nothing funny there for me. I just don't get it. I just flip it off. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Just take a look at a lot of the headlines about colleges. The poor little snowflakes that needed a safe space to recover in because someone actually used chalk to write a pro Trump campaign slogan on some sidewalks. Or the college flakes traumatized because a campus republican club dared to put their newspapers on sale on campus right there next to sidewalks where everyone could actually read the headlines.

Schools today are not teaching anything of value. They are all becoming indoctrination centers that glorify the left and demonize anyone that dares disagree with them. Look at how they rioted over a conservative speaker invited to speak in Berkley. In fact right now part of the mantra is if you actually say "work hard and you will succeed" is now a micro aggression racist statement.

And remember the new teachers being hired to teach in public schools, especially junior and senior high, over the last ten years have come from the very environment that college campuses have become.
    Sooooooo, what you are saying is, it's all Trumps fault? Lol

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I don't know if this fits the theme, but I want to comment on current ideas of comedy. Sure, there have always been insult comics, but sitcoms have become a half hour long string of insulting profanity. Nothing funny there for me. I just don't get it. I just flip it off. =^..^=
    They just don't make comedians like Red Skelton anymore. I don't think he ever had to resort to insulting anyone else. His characters were all entirely his own creations. He also never had to resort to "Blue Comedy"

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    And how about the new trend in every show..At least one gay couple that must be shown making out. I can't tell you how many shows have been destroyed for me by this crap, save all the PDAs (including hetro) for the big screen where people that want to see this can pay for it. It's found it's way into the commercials now too. How can such a low % of the population have such an effect on the rest of us..And please, I really don't want to hear about how I'm such a homophobe, I couldn't care less what the gay couple down the street is doing in their bedroom at night, but I draw the line at the transgender stuff. Tattoo some stripes on me and surgically add a tail, and presto!! I'm a tiger. Geez. EMujo

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

We probably all thought our parents were idiots... until we hit the real world. I think the problem right now is that so many people are NOT hitting the real world.

When we moved out and tried to make our way, all those stupid ideas we had were challenged. We had to adjust our way of thinking to compensate all the things we'd never considered. But when Johnny is never forced out of the basement, he's able to go to college without having to really strive for anything. Then, even after college, he's still having a large portion of his responsibilities removed. I mean even people with jobs are still clinging to the nest. Finally, at 30 years old, when he's ready to commit to a long term relationship and move in with a girl, he's already accomplished a certain stature in his career, even though (like us) he didn't have to struggle for it. His path is ALWAYS safe. From birth to death, he never has to just 'make do.'

Now you got a 40 year old douche bag, who hasn't a clue about what it really takes to get by in our country. He's bound to complain about the personality of politicians, and never really consider what the politicians are SUPPOSED to be accomplishing. And he's bound to think our way of doing things is outdated and old-fashioned. He believes he's found a better way.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    ... And he's bound to think our way of doing things is outdated and old-fashioned. He believes he's found a better way.
    Yes, Let someone else struggle. Maybe someone else will do the hard work for you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    They just don't make comedians like Red Skelton anymore. I don't think he ever had to resort to insulting anyone else. His characters were all entirely his own creations. He also never had to resort to "Blue Comedy"
    no the comedians of the era NEVER did use " blue comedy " .. they did however make fun of themselves or parody ( in a good way ) different groups ( ie Keystone Cops )

it is just a reflection of the lack of moral values that we we see in " comedy " today.

I have to agree that colleges are nothing more than a liberal indoctrination center today. It has even slid down to the middle/elementary school levels. Doing work in many schools I am amazed to see what and how things are being taught. I have even witnessed a "teacher" in a middle school ridiculing a student on their views of the country - liberty - religion... shameful
    oh and lets not even get into the debate of teaching sex ed in school.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Sooooooo, what you are saying is, it's all Trumps fault? Lol
    No i'm actually saying it is the dimwitted liberal leftist nonsense being used to indoctrinate the recent and current college students. Besides of course any leftist can imply Trump being blamed while conveniently ignoring the ten years reference. So no I'm actually blaming Shillary and her crowd.