Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Generational differences

Re: Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Hey don't feel too bad I actually remember watching the some really old stuff like Jack Benny and of course Amos and Andy. And the real kicker watching the original Dragnet when originally broadcast. And of course Shirley Temple on sunday night. Or even Soupy Sales on saturday morning.
    Yes, I remember those shows, plus Life of Riley, Lucy and Desi, I Married Joan, My Little Margi, Ed Sullivan show (saw the Beetles on their first USA primeer), and so many others - damn, I feel like a rebirth just happened.
    Last edited by ZOOTECH; 08-09-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Wow... you guys are really old. I'm actually not that old. I was watching MASH reruns as a child, so the show gives me a sense of nostalgia. I think the show ran through 83... I was born in 74. So even while the new ones were coming out still, they must have been playing the reruns every night right after Hogan's Heroes. Most people had color TVs when I grew up. But we didn't. My dad had some kind of giant security monitor (B&W) and he had somehow converted it into a TV.

I think NORMAL people share these sentiments. The loss of values and the nation's complete lack of direction is being felt. I think Trump's election was one last gasp by such folk. Not that they thought he was the best candidate, but that he was finally someone / something different from what we've been doing for the last 20 years. I think most people who voted for him consider him a renegade--desperate times call for desperate measures. He's our last chance.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Yes, I remember those shows, plus Life of Riley, Lucy and Desi, I Married Joan, My Little Margi, Ed Sullivan show (saw the Beetles on their first USA primeer, and so many others - damn, I feel like a rebirth just happened.
    Now just to add fuel to the fire I vaguely remember watching Elvis on tv and the infamous edit to block his hip movements. I was kind of young and most of what I actually remember about that was hearing him sing. And being shuffled off to bed as soon as he was done because we made such a ruckus over watching him when the ads said he was going to be on that night. But the show was on past our bedtime so special night then off to bed and no "dad can I have some water " nonsense. And of course we had to watch the Beatles since my two older sisters were fans and could not miss them. You mentioned quite a bit of other old favorites too.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Most people had color TVs when I grew up. But we didn't. My dad had some kind of giant security monitor (B&W) and he had somehow converted it into a TV.

I think NORMAL people share these sentiments. The loss of values and the nation's complete lack of direction is being felt. I think Trump's election was one last gasp by such folk. Not that they thought he was the best candidate, but that he was finally someone / something different from what we've been doing for the last 20 years. I think most people who voted for him consider him a renegade--desperate times call for desperate measures. He's our last chance.
    The old giant security monitors were actually tv's with a different antenna input. Sort of like those nice new tv's when they came out that actually had a cable connection and you did not need the cable box to connect to the cable company. Or if you prefer they were like when the Commodore Vic20 and C-64 first came out. Most people did not want to spend the extra, for the time, high cost of a computer monitor. So Commodore did something real sensible for them. They made an adapter so you could use the antenna hookup on your tv as the monitor connection from the computer. Sold a lot of computers that way over the very early IBM clones because of the cost savings.

And in response to your second paragraph. There was a reaction and part of the reason like you said for Trump's election reflected some of that. Some of that was also the same old tired leftist support for Hillary just because she was the first woman to be a major party candidate. Ah sorry but the very same people that would rip you a new anus for daring to call her anything but the best and brightest are also the very same morons that were so very vocal in their opposition to Sarah Palin when she was the vice presidential candidate. One of the worst being a joke from a "feminist activist" (read democrat that wants to hide her identity) was a joke about Mrs. Palin's downs syndrome child. Frankly I just did not want to see just how many of the activists would become part of Hillary's administration and push for acceptance of even more outrageous behavior as normal and force everyone on their bandwagon. Yeah just imagine the scene when a group like the ones wearing the pussy hats having a party in the oval office

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Generational differences

Diggin some of the history here. I haven't been around long enough to have experienced much of the tech side of things. Nowadays joking with folks about DVI ports having identity crisis and debugging can't be anywhere near as entertaining as the changes to things some of you have seen. Did like Matlock when I was younger and as a kid I used to catch my father up on the old episodes of Star Trek he had missed while he was in the army (even though he would usually nod off before the episodes where done).

Seems the writers of WKPR weren't the only ones that had the idea of dropping turkeys from an aircraft.

Dropping turkeys from planes triggers Arkansas festival flap - ABC News

Ok i think i found the answer here, its by design and forced onto us via media like television to mention one. Why do any thing, if we can shape our opinions with the s#$% we consume... We have a fake frame of reference 90 pure junk. Just look at the super Joneses that is what its all about and anything less is stupid.
    How the idiocracy is coming along.

What would the generations of old think about us?
    Whatever