Thread: Sense of Humour

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Sense of Humour

Sense of Humour

In most of the non-technical threads I post in I do so with humour. I don't post with the intention of offending anyone, however there always seem to be users who get offended. I identify politically as a bit left leaning, I admit it, but it isn't my identity. I bash both sides equally.
    Politicians, left or right, have chosen their course and don't need voters defending them.
    Both sides are corrupt. One side does not have a monopoly on it.
    I didn't post this to apologise to anyone who has been offended by my posts, just to better explain that nothing I post is intended to offend.
    If anyone is offended by my posts that is the choice of the one offended.
    Rant over!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Sense of Humour

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    In most of the non-technical threads I post in I do so with humour. I don't post with the intention of offending anyone, however there always seem to be users who get offended. I identify politically as a bit left leaning, I admit it, but it isn't my identity. I bash both sides equally.
    Politicians, left or right, have chosen their course and don't need voters defending them.
    Both sides are corrupt. One side does not have a monopoly on it.
    I didn't post this to apologise to anyone who has been offended by my posts, just to better explain that nothing I post is intended to offend.
    If anyone is offended by my posts that is the choice of the one offended.
    Rant over!
    This post offends me!
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Sense of Humour

Cool Re: Sense of Humour

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    This post offends me!
    Damn!!!! Here we go again.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

hahaha.... lol

Life is to straight ya got have some twisties....

Back to serious.

The written word is very ambiguous. There is no human emotional content(obviously).
    You have to accentuate that human limited trait into a text form some how.
    That means learning another side of your self and learning to express that contextual word self better.

It's called self contextual interpretation. (word of the day)

We we're taught self contextual interpretation at university many years ago.
    People interpret what they read with how they are feeling at that given moment.
    Example. If you have a tooth ache, every thing you read is going to give you a -- reply with low dark attitude type of day. If the office secretary just smiled at you, every thing you read or replay mail too will be a light bright off-the-cuff wow day.

If you're feeling peeved off.
    Write out what you want to say/express an do not mail it for a couple of days.
    Go back and re-read the post that made you offened then work out if SCI was
    the problem in the first place. 60-70% of the time the offending words will appear to
    contain less venom. Likewise the other person might just be having a bad day...

Apology if the above text has URL hyper links. I did not place them there.
    See the below thread for the hyperlink hack details :

hhttp://www.copytechnet.com/forums/site-feedback-and-questions/121963-server-move.html#post572537

Server Move
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 08-06-2017 at 01:56 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

There are simply so many folks on the site from all different walks of life, cultures, etc...that it is nearly impossible to not eventually offend someone (in their opinion, anyway) if you are an active member.

Not to worry, my friend, it's just a part of Life.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sense of Humour

I usually let the reader decide whether to be offended or delighted, or somewhere in-between. I usually do not intend to offend anyone (there are exceptions ...).

Like Neo says, so much of our interpretation of the written word is based on our mood at the moment, and on the culture we were raised in. My own natural disposition is to reflect back whatever attitude is present in the originators comments. I think a lot of people are that way. I can be offensive for those who offend, and I can be forgiving for those that forgive. This is an excellent reason to frame your comments in the most positive terms. More of your responses will be positively framed. I also re-read my comments 2 or 3 times before posting. I catch multiple grammar mistakes, and sometimes decide that I'm over-reacting and can tone down my response.

In the end, there are far too many factors that I do not have control of, so I do not overly concern myself with the readers reactions. Sometimes the right thing to do is to irritate the reader into action, and if that is required I can do that. How can you fix anything if you take no action? Isn't that why we're here, to fix things? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=