Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neat stuff

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Neat stuff

There is an older man who my boss knows that stops by the shop to make copies of phtos and old documents once in a while. he loves history and had a large collection of local related stuff about our city and the state. At the end of the day my boss ask me to go into the conference room and start the old Lanier 310 and make 10 copies of the 2 documents on the table. He stressed that I be careful and DO NOT DAMAGE THEM. Mr. Grahm had found them folded up in the pages of an old book that was being disgarded. Needless to say I was very curious. When I walked into the room, there were two maps, 2feet by 3 feet, both of my state, North Carolina. They apeared to be from early to mid 1700's. There are few towns shown inland, many more on the coast than exist now and the Atlantic is referred to as "The Great Western Ocean" on one of them. South Carolina is shown with more land and there is no western boundry, which would be Tennessee today.
    As I was running the older one through the document feeder for the second time, trying to get a nice copy, I turned around to pick something up and hear the sound of crinkling paper. I jumped to the machine lifting the adf lid to stop. I got lucky. No damage.
    Just thought I would share. Not often you come in contact with cool stuff fixing copiers.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Neat stuff

Re: Neat stuff

I hate to do it, but I have to ask... Why not put the originals on the glass, instead of the document feeder?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Neat stuff

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Why use the feeder for 2 "priceless" docs? Thankfully it worked out.

Anyway I like that historic stuff.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I hate to do it, but I have to ask... Why not put the originals on the glass, instead of the document feeder?
    The Lanier 310 is a wide format machine, so there is no platen glass.

Note that Fixthecopier said these were very large originals. (2 feet by 3 feet).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago. I was at a business that sold wide format paper and supplies working on a copier. On the counter was a huge stack of posters. They were the collection of military related posters from WW1 and WW2 from the Special Warfare Museum. They were there to be scanned so they could be posted online. I looked at all of them but got no copies, as I wold have had to pay for it.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Neat stuff

Old maps like that tend to be valued very highly if not priceless.
    When I started servicing copiers they used toaster ovens for fusers.....I'm old

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Neat stuff

I missed that the docs were that big. Plus not familiar with lanier wide format model #'s so was thinking it was a regular copier. Bottom line is good that it worked out.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Neat stuff

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    The Lanier 310 is a wide format machine, so there is no platen glass.

Note that Fixthecopier said these were very large originals. (2 feet by 3 feet).

My bad. I guess there was no other choice... glad nothing happened to the original.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I have a customer who has managed to collect thousands of manuals for airplanes over the years.

If I remember, it goes back to the 1930s, maybe older.

He scans them all in with several different scanners and MFPs, then sells them in either PDF or paper format.

His volume for the printed species is much larger than you would expect, as he has several very high volume printers, mostly B/W but some color, to handle the demand.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    There is an older man who my boss knows that stops by the shop to make copies of phtos and old documents once in a while. he loves history and had a large collection of local related stuff about our city and the state. At the end of the day my boss ask me to go into the conference room and start the old Lanier 310 and make 10 copies of the 2 documents on the table. He stressed that I be careful and DO NOT DAMAGE THEM. Mr. Grahm had found them folded up in the pages of an old book that was being disgarded. Needless to say I was very curious. When I walked into the room, there were two maps, 2feet by 3 feet, both of my state, North Carolina. They apeared to be from early to mid 1700's. There are few towns shown inland, many more on the coast than exist now and the Atlantic is referred to as "The Great Western Ocean" on one of them. South Carolina is shown with more land and there is no western boundry, which would be Tennessee today.
    As I was running the older one through the document feeder for the second time, trying to get a nice copy, I turned around to pick something up and hear the sound of crinkling paper. I jumped to the machine lifting the adf lid to stop. I got lucky. No damage.
    Just thought I would share. Not often you come in contact with cool stuff fixing copiers.

And you didn't get a copy to share with us?