Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse Today

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Eclipse Today

For those of you who are lucky enough to see the eclipse today, here's a little something.

Remember the old trick of making a hole in the paper and seeing the shape of the sun on the ground? Well just find a tree at the crucial moment. The trees have leaves, which have thousands of holes in them. If you look under a tree during the eclipse, you'll see a thousand little crescent moons on the ground in the tree's shadow.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Eclipse Today

As a hockey ref, I am considered legally blind, staring at the eclipse can do no further damage to me...LOL

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

I bought some glasses. Should see about 75 percent where I am. Hoping to take lunch at the best time. I could have bought a filter for my scope and should have taken today off, but I know it then rain all day solid.

Damn, calling for cloud cover, this has been one awful year to have a telescope here in the north east.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Living in central Ohio it seems like every time there is an astronomical event the cloud cover denies visibility. Pisses me off, but I'm not taking a day off just to go to Tennessee with thousands of other people just to maybe see a solar eclipse. I've set myself a reminder to take my lunch at 2:00 today, I'll go outside and take my chances. I've never understood why glancing directly at a solar eclipse is more dangerous to my vision than glancing directly at the full sun. I fail to grasp how the moon blocking the sun will make the sunlight more hazardous.

Looked for the "eclipse glasses" all over town for the past month, everybody that had them sold out within minutes of announcing they had them. Damned facebook lurkers.
    My wife and son are going to use my binoculars to project the image on paper so they're not looking at it directly, but my health is less important to me than theirs.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Eclipse Today

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    For those of you who are lucky enough to see the eclipse today, here's a little something.

Remember the old trick of making a hole in the paper and seeing the shape of the sun on the ground? Well just find a tree at the crucial moment. The trees have leaves, which have thousands of holes in them. If you look under a tree during the eclipse, you'll see a thousand little crescent moons on the ground in the tree's shadow.
    Just saw that on the morning news.

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    As a hockey ref, I am considered legally blind, staring at the eclipse can do no further damage to me...LOL
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    I bought some glasses. Should see about 75 percent where I am. Hoping to take lunch at the best time. I could have bought a filter for my scope and should have taken today off, but I know it then rain all day solid.
    Just be aware that there are counterfeit glasses out there. Many of them have also counterfeited the ISO label. Check the glasses. Only the sun is bright enough to be seen through a proper filtered pair of gasses. If you can see a bright flashlight through the glasses, have them tested before you use them to look at the sun.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Heck according to the news this afternoon we will be eclipse central here. And I plan on doing the exact same thing I did for the last one. I'm staying indoors. There will be plenty of newsreel footage if I want to watch it.. It's actually almost time for the eclipse now maybe in an hour or so.

Mine are legit, went to a telescope store and they have the ISO number on them. I've tested them out already as they can be used anytime.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Eclipse Today

A totaled Eclipse.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Eclipse Today

we saw about 98% today for almost 2 minutes, no total darkness but the street lights did come on!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations