Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Fun with Ricoh MP301 door switch replacement

I had an mp301 with intermittent Cover Open message. There's nothing in the service manual about how to replace the door microswitch. I had to guess and here is the level of disassembly required:

copier.jpg

After I got this far I discovered there are TWO door microswitches and I had only ordered one. OOPS

Fortunately I replaced one and bent the actuator outward on the second and it worked. Haven't heard back from the customer in a couple weeks now.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Fun with Ricoh MP301 door switch replacement

Quote Originally Posted by morgansterne View Post
    I had an mp301 with intermittent Cover Open message. There's nothing in the service manual about how to replace the door microswitch. I had to guess and here is the level of disassembly required:

After I got this far I discovered there are TWO door microswitches and I had only ordered one. OOPS

Fortunately I replaced one and bent the actuator outward on the second and it worked. Haven't heard back from the customer in a couple weeks now.
    That looks a lot like some of the older machines I had to work on for similar problems. There was a model of Panasonics that had dual switches. Not quite as bad as what your picture shows. But it was a paper path switch that tended to get pulled out of the mounting when a customer pulled a jam out backwards without opening the clamshell.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

When it gets like that, i often wonder how many techs the design engineer's wife slept with before he came up with that part placement as revenge.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    When it gets like that, i often wonder how many techs the design engineer's wife slept with before he came up with that part placement as revenge.
    I've been in classes where the instructors have actually said "that switch never has to be replaced. They designed it to be robust and the mechanism does not put a lot of strain on the actuator so it won't bend at all. Of course those are the exact ones that have to be replaced because the customer slams the cover to make sure it closes and the switch is working. Even on new machines.

worker drone 250+ Posts

I am convinced that the engineers have never even seen a working copier. They draw it on a CAD program, animate it, and if it passes imaginary paper, it goes into production. "The machines are fine until you try to introduce toner and paper"

Do any of you know the part numbers for the microswitch? I came from Xerox. so new to ricoh. Thanks in advance.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Fun with Ricoh MP301 door switch replacement

Quote Originally Posted by TSW View Post
    Do any of you know the part numbers for the microswitch? I came from Xerox. so new to ricoh. Thanks in advance.
    Wrong forum. This thread is 5 years old, dead and buried grave robber.