Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

More fun when walking around the flea market

Went to the local flea market again today. They have temporary weekend tables set up for one time rentals to temporary rentals. Saw an obviously too inexperienced duo trying to figure out how to use iron transfer paper to make tee shirts. First they had the print driver trying to print in the wrong direction. IE landscape to portrait and getting no where when it wouldn't print. And the computer kept asking them if they wanted to rotate the image. Then I also noticed the sheet was put in backwards. One customer finally gave up. I cleared my throat and pointed out rotating the image only meant it would print on the sheet of paper the way it was inserted in the printer. And warned them to flip the paper before they printed. There is a printed side and a blank side and they had that backwards. They finally did get a nice print and instead of putting the tee shirt onto the print they put the print on the shirt and melted everything into one big mess. I walked off. You would think that if someone was going to try to sell a service they would learn how to use it first before trying to sell it to customers where people in the crowd were actually starting to laugh at their mistakes. Most of us walked away shaking our heads

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    More fun when walking around the flea market

Re: More fun when walking around the flea market

So that's what salesmen do on the weekend, often wondered.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Imagine it was a 3D printer...
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Imagine it was a 3D printer...
    3d printer probably would have been a much better result for them. From what I remember the way they work you start the printer software. load a picture or specifications of what you want printed and make sure you have the proper material for the printer to print with. I've only actually seen one work twice. We had one being demoed for a possible sales line. Then someone made the remark "imagine the service calls on that if they put the wrong plastic in the supply bin." Owner of the company thought better of it because of that.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I went to work on a machine at a flea-market (not during market hours). It was an oversized copier that blew up pics to 18 x 24. I talked to the guy while working on it about this and that.

A few weeks later, my wife and brother went to the same flea-market. They told me about this artist who did caricatures. He would even use a photo of someone not there, blow it up on his copier, and do one that way. Except, they said, he was deaf and dumb. He had an assistant that would talk to people while he worked.

What a gimmick... faking a handicap.