Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 299
  1. #171
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Side question:
    Can solar power generators (otherwise known as those black roof panels) and their related accessories be sufficiently hardened against EMP?

    #toolazytogoogleitmyself
    #KimJongUnIsNoKimJongFun
    #RocketMan
    #IThinkItsGonnaBeAJongJongTime
    the control unit would be affected... but not the panels nor the batteries


  2. #172
    Retired 5,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    7,088
    Rep Power
    152

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Side question:
    Can solar power generators (otherwise known as those black roof panels) and their related accessories be sufficiently hardened against EMP?

    #toolazytogoogleitmyself
    #KimJongUnIsNoKimJongFun
    #RocketMan
    #IThinkItsGonnaBeAJongJongTime
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    the control unit would be affected... but not the panels nor the batteries
    In order to protect the panels would require sufficient shielding that the panels would be useless because solar energy would be unable to reach them. The control panel, batteries and inverter can be shielded.


  3. #173
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    In order to protect the panels would require sufficient shielding that the panels would be useless because solar energy would be unable to reach them. The control panel, batteries and inverter can be shielded.
    -= from my understanding =- .. an EMP doesn't affect any thing that doesn't have a "processor chip" in it.. solar panels do not ( I have a customer that makes the panels, and was given a grand tour of his plant ) and neither does the deep cycle batteries that stores the power. ONLY inverter and control panel have them.

    that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it


  4. #174
    Retired 5,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    7,088
    Rep Power
    152

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    -= from my understanding =- .. an EMP doesn't affect any thing that doesn't have a "processor chip" in it.. solar panels do not ( I have a customer that makes the panels, and was given a grand tour of his plant ) and neither does the deep cycle batteries that stores the power. ONLY inverter and control panel have them.

    that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it
    It affects anything conductive by inducing electrical current sufficient to fry any type of equipment. It is most destructive to any solid state device such as a processor, an amplifier or a photo voltaic cell. Current induced in a battery will explode the battery. Unprotected conductors too small to handle the current will melt and possibly cause fires.


  5. #175
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    SalesServiceGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    927
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    -=

    "that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it
    "

    What do you mean by "preppers"? Is that slang for someone who wants to prepare for any emergency?


  6. #176
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    -= from my understanding =- .. an EMP doesn't affect any thing that doesn't have a "processor chip" in it.. solar panels do not ( I have a customer that makes the panels, and was given a grand tour of his plant ) and neither does the deep cycle batteries that stores the power. ONLY inverter and control panel have them.

    that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it
    Didn't a solar storm shut everything down in the 50s? That was like a huge EMP.

    Personally, I do not believe in EMP weaponry. People have been talking about dirty bombs for years, and I have yet to hear of anyone actually producing one. I think it's only theoretical.


  7. #177
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chas
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Didn't a solar storm shut everything down in the 50s? That was like a huge EMP.

    Personally, I do not believe in EMP weaponry. People have been talking about dirty bombs for years, and I have yet to hear of anyone actually producing one. I think it's only theoretical.
    For what it is worth EMP includes all sorts of different sources for interference. There have been nuclear weapons designed specifically and tested to produce EMP. There are also other natural occurring EMP effects, lightning for instance.
    Q: Why do nuclear weapons cause EMPs (electromagnetic pulses)? | Ask a Mathematician / Ask a Physicist

    And then there is the home built little nasty devices. EMP devices do not have to be high powered. They can actually be made to really tick off your neighbor. Don't know it it is effective or worth the effort but your can build your own. Oh yeah just a little side fact. Static electricity is also considered an EMP source. Ever walked across a carpet and fried an old radio? I have and even some newer digital watches when I got zapped after walking across a deep pile carpet. Then there is the electro/magnetic field of power lines. You can hear it on your car radio if you sit under a power line at a red light occasionally.

    https://www.electronicproducts.com/P...ectronics.aspx

    Last edited by gneebore; 09-29-2017 at 08:28 AM.

  8. #178
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    I just don't think they exist as an effective weapon.


  9. #179
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Didn't a solar storm shut everything down in the 50s? That was like a huge EMP.

    Personally, I do not believe in EMP weaponry. People have been talking about dirty bombs for years, and I have yet to hear of anyone actually producing one. I think it's only theoretical.
    dirty bombs aren't EMP devices... they are a low dose fission explosions at ground level

    High altitude fusion detonations are the EMP variety higher power

    https://nuclear.duke-energy.com/2013...the-difference


  10. #180
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    SalesServiceGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    927
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

    While talking about the very unlikely event that of a EMP attack over America is interesting, it is a distraction from the human tragedy that has been happening to the American citizens of Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria.

    Both Texas and Florida seem to be making progress in recovering from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma but Maria is going to be a long drawn out event due to the massive destruction of infrastructure on the island.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here