Page 19 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Again, as far as I know, no one's actually made a EMP that can do the kind of damage people talk about. It's all theoretical. Obviously, a nuclear bomb could create an EMP, but the weapon there is the bomb itself. The EMP doesn't reach far enough to damage things that the bomb itself doesn't damage.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Again, as far as I know, no one's actually made a EMP that can do the kind of damage people talk about. It's all theoretical. Obviously, a nuclear bomb could create an EMP, but the weapon there is the bomb itself. The EMP doesn't reach far enough to damage things that the bomb itself doesn't damage.
    There has been testing by both the Russian(USSR back then) and US nuclear testing programs. Here's is a quote from the link I posted earlier.

The Soviets and Americans, being good at this sort of thing, have done a number of tests that involved setting off nuclear devices in and just above the ionosphere. The best known are America’s “Starfish Prime” (you’d think the black ops people would hire better namers-of-things) and the USSR’s “test 184” (classy name).
    According to a review for the US Energy Research and Development Administration, EMP damage was recorded almost a thousand miles away:
    “Starfish produced the largest fields of the high-altitude detonations; they caused outages of the series-connected street-lighting systems of Oahu (Hawaii), probable failure of a microwave repeating station on Kauai, failure of the input stages of ionospheric sounders and damage to rectifiers in communication receivers. Other than the failure of the microwave link, no problem was noted in the telephone system.”

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    While talking about the very unlikely event that of a EMP attack over America is interesting, it is a distraction from the human tragedy that has been happening to the American citizens of Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria.

Both Texas and Florida seem to be making progress in recovering from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma but Maria is going to be a long drawn out event due to the massive destruction of infrastructure on the island.
    P.R. is a prime example when people and a Gov't system becomes complacent , irresponsible and expects others to do all the necessary heavy lifting....

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I wouldn't say that. They're in a pretty desperate situation there... and they're just trying to stay alive. I've not seen any evidence that they're not trying to help themselves.

Katrina in New Orleans on the other hand...

Of course, we only saw what the media showed us at the time. I'm sure there were plenty of instances of not only self reliance but heroism, as we saw in Harvey, but we just didn't see it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

President Trump has needlessly caused himself great harm by attacking the mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico via Twitter over hurricane relief efforts. He really needs to not retaliate against every negative comment that comes his way. Unfortunately, that is not likely to happen.

To the Mayor's credit, she responded to the President's comments by saying, "I am not going to be distracted by small comments, by politics, by petty issues"

If you read Fox News, CNN, ABC, PBS, Breitbart the headlines are consistently all very bad for him.

President Trump is setting up an awkward meeting with Puerto Rican officials when he visits the island on Tuesday.

The American Virgin islands, inhabited by approx 100,000 US citizens, were also destroyed by Hurricane Maria and desperately need help from the US gov't.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I wouldn't say that. They're in a pretty desperate situation there... and they're just trying to stay alive. I've not seen any evidence that they're not trying to help themselves.

Katrina in New Orleans on the other hand...

Of course, we only saw what the media showed us at the time. I'm sure there were plenty of instances of not only self reliance but heroism, as we saw in Harvey, but we just didn't see it.

Did a quick look at just what was planned before the storm and what has been sent to Puerto Rico by the government since. Quite a list.
    here is the link to what has been done
    https://www.dhs.gov/blog/2017/09/29/...urricane-maria

This is in addition to private efforts to deliver supplies.

Sad part is I know they are in real bad shape. I've been through similar but not as complete storm damage. Heck it was three days before the highway to my house was cleared so I could actually get home. One of the signs a neighborhood had gotten electricity restored was the traffic lights started working. Worst part was no electricity at my house for seven weeks. Yeah cold showers and lots of tuna and canned foods that would not spoil. Or if lucky when out doing repairs for customers that actually had power finding a fast food joint that was open and did not have a line around the building to get a hot meal.

There is however a picture with a rather nasty caption of the mayor standing inside a warehouse full of emergency supplies waiting to be distributed. Plus several websites that are reporting on the feud that ironically actually show her giving a press conference in a different warehouse full of supplies too.

I saw the pictures of the damage. There will have to be a whole lot of road clearing to get those supplies distributed. More than likely the military helicopters will be used to set up distribution sites in neighborhoods all across the island as one response to the problem.

Oh yes one other bit of info I found out. They are really making an effort to restoring functions to the dialysis clinics. If they can't get them running then the dialysis patients are being evacuated to get them treated. This is a life or death situation. About half of the clinics have actually been restored to operations. But that is not enough to meet the needs in the near future.
    Last edited by gneebore; 10-01-2017 at 06:04 AM.

[QUOTE=SalesServiceGuy;578366]While talking about the very unlikely event that of a EMP attack over America is interesting, it is a distraction from the human tragedy that has been happening to the American citizens of Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria.

So what help and supplies has Canada sent to P.R. to help alleviate this "human tragedy" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    So what help and supplies has Canada sent to P.R. to help alleviate this "human tragedy" ?
    You actually think that you will get an answer? I mean other than the usual ---well there are always Canadians sending assistance or helping whatever the tragedy--- But no actual source or link that has anything with actual data. Like the time he was asked for a direct quote and answered with a long winded message and a "here's a quote from a Canadian" but no name or link to who actually wrote what he supposedly quoted.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

[QUOTE=Geo;578436]
    Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    While talking about the very unlikely event that of a EMP attack over America is interesting, it is a distraction from the human tragedy that has been happening to the American citizens of Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria.

How much has Mozambique sent?

[QUOTE=copier addict;578443]
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post

How much has Mozambique sent?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was about the same as Canada....